Joined the gym

mrs big b

Gold Member
And got my 1st session at 9.30 tommorow morning eek .
Anyone know what to expect got to meet with a trainer , not done anything like this before and feeling nervous

You'll be fine.... Instructor will show you how to use the machines , programs etc that some of the machines offer and then all the weight machines and free weights.... It's always good to do a mix of cardio and weights so your not only burning calories and fat but your toning your muscles too.

Don't be nervous just remember everyone is at the gym for the same reasons either to lose weight or bulk up or to maintain ..... And everyone is either self absorbed or just as self conscious as the next person so never feel nervous or anxious about being watched or what people will think..... Feel proud that you have taken the step to make a change and hit the gym!!

Ask your instructor if he can suggest a good program.... I usually do a10min warm up cycle then 20min jog (this has been built up over weeks from a walk to walk/jog to a jog) then 10mins on rowing machine finished with some weights and a cool down I sometimes spend less or more time depending on energy levels but I always tend to complete 1 main exercise for atleast 20mins.....

Hope I've put your mind at ease a bit.... Goodluck big hugs let me know how it goes xxxxxx

This is spot on! I have recently started going to the gym & its so true that people are either self absorbed or self conscious! Either way no one is looking af anyone else :)

I agree! Everyone there is just doing their own thing, and if anyone does appear to be looking, it's more than likely just they're having a rest / getting their breath back. Nothing more! Good luck, it's a great idea

Thanks feel a lot better now some great advice . I'm gonna show those last 19lb till target where to go :D

I look at people in the Gym, usually to see how to do stuff/work the machines!
Friday night is poseur night at my Gym, I avoid it then lol!

Shirleen said:
I look at people in the Gym, usually to see how to do stuff/work the machines!
Friday night is poseur night at my Gym, I avoid it then lol!

I've just signed up for off peak . Daytimes when kids are at school :) good tip :)

Just finished and don't know why I was so nervous . Was great :) did treadmill rowing machine & cross trainer and he said I did really well :) said considering I've had 5 kids I looked great ( good job he didn't see me pre sw lol) so thats it I'm free to come & go when I want now . He is meeting with me in 2 weeks for my next assessment :) all good looking forward to losing these wobbly bits :)

Also there scales made me 11lb lighter than the sw ones . I wish !!!! Does anyone think I might gain to start with? If so how long till I start loosing again ?

You dont usually gain Hun....,, as with most women we hold water and muscles need water to repair however you will prob find a nice loss next week however if you don't do not panic.... My suggestion would be now you have joined the gym get a tape measure and measure yourself. Arms legs tummy chest etc and every 4 weeks check back

Xxx

Thank :) yes he took all my measurements and will do them again in 2 weeks :) fingers crossed then :)

Well done. I joined my local gym about 8 weeks ago and try to go 4 times a week now, although my weight loss has slowed to a crawl, I am toning up and getting smaller.

I started the gym this week too. I took my measurements as my last work out (at the gym)before Xmas will be exactly 4 weeks since I started.

Also there scales made me 11lb lighter than the sw ones . I wish !!!! Does anyone think I might gain to start with? If so how long till I start loosing again ?

If you're doing some strength training (resistance machines) then you may gain a pound or two at first, as muscle is heavier than fat. If you keep a check on your measurements though you may find that you lose inches and gain a pound but then once you have built your muscle up, you will start and lose the weight again.

I've been going to the gym for a year now and have an instructor there that helps me when I go and he is brilliant for hints and tips!

Hope you're enjoying it! xxx

Saz10098 said:
If you're doing some strength training (resistance machines) then you may gain a pound or two at first, as muscle is heavier than fat. If you keep a check on your measurements though you may find that you lose inches and gain a pound but then once you have built your muscle up, you will start and lose the weight again.

I've been going to the gym for a year now and have an instructor there that helps me when I go and he is brilliant for hints and tips!

Hope you're enjoying it! xxx

Muscle is NOT heavier than fat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaagggghhhhh

You may gain a little initially, this is purely water retention, as your muscles retain it when you increase your exercise to protect them - it balances out after a few weeks

Muscle is NOT heavier than fat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaagggghhhhh

You may gain a little initially, this is purely water retention, as your muscles retain it when you increase your exercise to protect them - it balances out after a few weeks

Okay, it is denser than fat, therefore the same volume of muscle will weigh more than an equal volume of fat.

THANK YOU!!!!

Still right in it therefore being heavier. Just a wrong use of terminology, so I'm sorry that it seems to have annoyed you so much.

Second day on here and what a welcome. One wrong word used - crime eh!?

I'll stick to just doing my own food diarys and hope the friendlier members start to appear.

Best of luck.

Back