Joining a group

sunshine24

Hi all, I've been Messing about with SW for a few years now and I am now heavier than ever! Ive been doing it alone at home, on and off for ages. I did join a group once but only went a few times because I bottled it when I'd had a bad week and didn't go back.

I clearly need to do something as I can't seem to stay on the straight and narrow even though I know SW does work!

Just wondering if I can't do it at home alone, can I really be more dedicated and focused if I join a group?

Plus I was wondering how long do the group sessions last for? I don't have hardly any spare time due to work commitments but i don't want pay just to get weighed!

Any advice?
Thanks in advance

my consultant said to us last night, if you want to get the full advantages of sw you need to stay for the meeting. If you dont want to stay for the meeting then your missing vital support and you may aswell save yourself a few quid and weigh in at boots for 50p.
Ive tried doing it alone but i really look forward to my meetings, i think 5pounds is a small price to pay!!

Hi Sunshine :)

I am starting back at SW on Thursday next week...I have previously done SW with super results and attended the meetings. This time, I have many friends that are using SW online and are loving it, but personally for me, I would much rather go to the meetings, get weighed there and actually see people who are on the same path as I am. If I remember correctly, there were some days I couldn't stay at meetings due to work, so I used to pop in, get weighed and get that confidence boost then go. Other days it was invaluable to have that face to face contact and to share and make friends :)
I'm sure everyone has their own way of how they tackle SW, but personally for me, I say meetings are the way to go...I lack willpower so I need that extra boost to keep me going lol.

GL in whatever you decide and for the journey ahead! :D

Only you can decide if you have the dedication to go to group all i can say is find something to motivate you and concentrate on that, maybe fitting into clothes a few sizes smaller, helping a health issue etc maybe that will help you still to it. I'm one of the most anti social people around and don't go group so i can't answer the question about that, i joined online instead.

I don't go to group either, and have been half doing SW for the last like 6 months, somehow even though I changed eating habits, and stopped drinking wine pretty much every day (every other weekend now!) have put on 1.5 stone, booohoooo :( So I'm taking it seriously this time too, not going to group, just weighing in at boots every tuesday, but fingers crossed its going to be good. I miss cake though! Good Luck.. xxx

I am very much a group person. I am a member of the social team so obviously go every week even though I have been at target for 8 months. For me group has always been the key to me losing. My group is on a Monday so this has kept me on the straight and narrow specially of a weekend knowing I was going to be weighed on a Monday. I love group, the consultant is amazing and dedicated and the members are lovely. I think a lot depends on what type of person you are, what your consultant is like, and what you feel you get out of it. Some are group type members, some prefer online. I like the group interaction and chatting to other members and I get a lot out of group

Thanks for all your advice.

How long do group sessions normally last and how much do they cost these days?

Thank you

I love going to group, all the members are like friends and our consultant is lovely, she even invited us to her housewarming party tonight, she's making sw chilli, but I can't go cause hubby is working late and I've no one to look after my little boy :(
But I really think I get a lot out of going to group.x

Ours lasts 1 and half hours but that includes the weighing in bit & it's £4.95 per week but you can buy 6/12 wk countdowns which work out cheaper.x

Thanks for ur replies everyone. Ive Seen a few posts where people have said their meetings last 2 hours even 3 hours! I get up at 5.30am to go to work and don't get home till 7pm after a 3 hour all round commute, so I don't fancy a two hour meeting after a long day! I just don't have that spare time but if I want to loose weight I know I need to be dedicated!

What to do?! Lol. Do u think it would be rude to text the consultant whose group im thinking of joining and ask how long the groups are before I decide which group to join?

Thanks

Not rude at all. Generally they do last about 1.5 hrs. Ours does as we have to be out of the hall within that time, half an hr for weigh and pay, then an hour approx (but never over) for I T.

Sw groups are 30mins for weigh in and then an hour for IT(Image Therapy) some classes may run a little longer if they are very busy, but I'd be surprised if they ran for 3 hours!!!!

Thanks for all your advice everyone. I have decided I an going to go on Tuesday, I've got to do something to shift this weight!

Thanks again
:)

I'm returning to SW this Tuesday also. I used to really like going to meetings. People were always so friendly and gave really good advice if I was struggling.

Good luck! x

I think the 3 hour comment was from me, just like to clarify that wasn't a normal week- it was a week after 25 new members had turned up, so they were all unsure what to do at first weigh in and asking questions about the plan while she was trying to do new member talk for me and the other 6 newbies that week. plus half of the social team were sick so she was pretty much on her own. As the group grew so rapidly we ended up splitting into 2 timeslots and now my group is from 7.15 till 8.30, sometimes 8.45 if we get a good discussion going.

Ahhh ok I see what you mean now. Fingers crossed I will enjoy it on Tuesday and stick with it! Will let you know. Thanks for all your replies xx

I joined SW back in 2010 and lost 5 stones, I then thought I could go it alone and put on 5 stones ... I do need to go into the meeting every week or I just dont do it. Having said that I dont stay becasue I have to go to work - but it still works for me so yes I spend the fiver a week just to get weighed but for me it is a fiver well spent if it keeps me on track, which it does!

I also need to go to group. I will fall off the wagon if I do it alone!
I did switch groups, and now go to a group that has less people, so the meetings finish earlier.

I am joining a new group tomorrow after a year out and two stones heavier :( Tried going it alone (after all I know what to do and I lost nearly five stone while I was at SW) Also tried SW online but it's too easy to cheat and you get no support. I don't really get why, but staying to group works and it is motivating. Good luck to everyone joining SW this week.

Back