Joining a gym?

anna_vixen

Gold Member
I have been looking at my local gyms and am thinking about joining but am very conscious of the cost, would anyone who goes to the gym mind telling me about their membership and if it's worth it etc.

It depends on how much you will use it. You could do at home exercises and walk and run which are free but unless you are a fitness expert them you are limited. I love the range of machines in my gym. Of course some aren't brilliant but I def think its worth it.

Also depends on what kind of gym you choose. I used to be a member of Virgin Active which was lovely, lots of free towels, swimming pool, beauty salon and sauna etc but I never used them and it cost almost £60 a month!!! I'm now a member of a no frills gym, which actually has a better range of equipment than Virgin but none of the fancy extras and it costs £15.99 a month which is a massive saving. It's also open 24/7 too which is a bonus.

I see that you're in Brum, have a look at The Gym Birmingham, West Midlands Gym, No contract which is the same company that I use. Or Pure Gym which have two sites in Birmingham Pure Gym Fitness Clubs : 24 Hour Gyms : Join Pure Gym Today both are about £15.99 a month which is a bargain! Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
mines £27 a month, and justa local gym run by the council, it covers two gyms though :)
its worth it for me, i get my moneys worth easily!

I am in Birmingham and do have a B postcode, but pay my council tax to the neighbouring district to I dont qualify! BOO! lol

Thankyou for your suggestions will have a look now! :) thanks! xx

I go to fitness first and pay about 32 a month.

You gotta price up your local gyms, work out how much you want to do a week and see if a pay&go type scheme would be suitable. I find you generally speaking need to be going 3/4 times a week to justify the cost of a monthly payment.

I am in Birmingham and do have a B postcode, but pay my council tax to the neighbouring district to I dont qualify! BOO! lol

Thankyou for your suggestions will have a look now! :) thanks! xx

Pure gym in the Windmills Centre (Smethwick) were leafleting on Sunday theres now no £25 joining fee just the £15 monthly no contract cost

WelshCake said:
Pure gym in the Windmills Centre (Smethwick) were leafleting on Sunday theres now no £25 joining fee just the £15 monthly no contract cost

Thanks for that! However I don't drive and don't live over that way - but thanks so much! Xx

i pay quite a bit for my membership as i have my 2 kids on my membership it's £84 a month. £66 for me and £18 for them. i go 3 to 4 time a week for my own exercise. ems does tennis and swimming there. i use the creche for matthew £4 an hour. there's also a hairdressers (which i don't use), a beauty salon (which i do) and a 'club room' where you can relax and have a costa coffee. you can sit my the kids area and leave the kids to play in soft play while you watch and drink coffee. you can get lunch, tea etc there. there's loads of classes to do, meetings like a book club, members meeting etc, running clubs, walking clubs, squash. there are events every so often too. you can even get a glass of wine, or beer as there's a bar too. i love it.

I go to a david Lloyd gym and have the all in membership, so it includes all raquet sports, gym, pool everything. Ipay £60 a month. In my opinion if you find the right gym, where you can work out and relax it will be one of the best investments you've made, you'll get fit and enjoy your self.

I currently pay £24 a month just to use the pool at my local gym. This is, however, expensive as I live in Winchester which is expensive anyway. I do feel I kindof miss out on the classes and things they offer, but realistically its not worth me upping my membership to full membership (£35 for students). Me and my friends play badminton and squash, however the courts at uni work out at something like 25p each whereas if we were to use the courts at the local pool it would just be me paying. I don't know if that made ANY sense =s

But yeah, in my opinion, its worth the amount I pay for the pool as I go a fair amount (3x a week) and I think its something like £3.50/£4.00 a time if you don't have a membership. I don't like gyms myself, as I find them quite clinical, plus I have weight and things at home and when strength training I prefer to use my body weight anyway =)

I hope this helps =)

I go to a gym near me in great Yarmouth and i pay £42 a month. I personally feel its worth it because i get to use the gym, pool, jacazzi, sauna and steam room PLUS i can take my hubby and children for half price days admission in the pool.

If you were looking for a cheaper option to working out at home, you could always try a green gym. The majority of them are free (as far as I'm aware), include warm up and cool down sessions and you get to do something good for the environment and the community. Look them up, they're actually an intense workout - cardio and strength in one.

Back