Just how bad are fizzy drinks?

Rose Bud

I'm doing a few different plans mixed together at the moment so this is the only place I could think of posting this.

How bad are fizzy drinks, really?

I'm quite addicted to them, I used to drink them every day before my diet started and I'm really beginning to crave them now. I know I'll be more bloated if I have one, and I always feel like I'm cheating when I drink them, even if they're within my given calorie quota/WW points.

What do you think?

Could you drink the zero calorie fizzy pops? I have the diet lemonade. usually a glass before lunch and dinner to help fill me up and it helps my sweet cravings.

I've been wondering the same thing, pepsi diet says about 2 calories per bottle I think. Find it hard to believe that it would affect the diet that little.

My problem is that I feel like I'm cheating if I do have it, even if its within my points or calorie quota, because mentally I class it as naughty! I haven't caved yet, but its getting tough..

Rose Bud said:
My problem is that I feel like I'm cheating if I do have it, even if its within my points or calorie quota, because mentally I class it as naughty! I haven't caved yet, but its getting tough..

I caved. Yesterday. Up all night doing work, needed something to keep me awake.. And it was buy 1 get 1 free. Now I feel bad about it and have a second one I don't know if I can drink or not..

I caved. Yesterday. Up all night doing work, needed something to keep me awake.. And it was buy 1 get 1 free. Now I feel bad about it and have a second one I don't know if I can drink or not..

I think it might be the caffeine I'm addicted to? Is it the caffeine for you, or the sweet taste? I've been the same, my sleeping pattern is all over the place since my OH started working nights, I don't sleep until he comes home which is usually between 4-6am :( I'm running on about 2hrs sleep a night for the last month or so. I really need to get it sorted.

I used to drink around 4 or 5 500ml bottles of pepsi max a day. I stopped last december. I used to think the toothpaste adverts where they said your teeth would be weak from drinking too much fizzy drinks were bull as my dentist never mentioned that my teeth were weak ever. For about 2 weeks after I stopped the headaches were absolutely horrendous... I even had the room spinning like sometimes u do when you ve drunk way too much lol. If you had seen me you would have sworn I was withdrawing from drugs.
Anyway, after a week or so I noticed that my teeth had gone really strong compared to before. That stuff really cant be good for us I think!

Soz for the long post lol

Rose Bud said:
I think it might be the caffeine I'm addicted to? Is it the caffeine for you, or the sweet taste? I've been the same, my sleeping pattern is all over the place since my OH started working nights, I don't sleep until he comes home which is usually between 4-6am :( I'm running on about 2hrs sleep a night for the last month or so. I really need to get it sorted.

Sweet taste, I guess. I don't actually drink much, I generally dislike carbonated drinks, but a diet pepsi excites me as redbull would, so sometimes I want it to keep me awake and energised when I have too much coursework. Other than that, I'm usually happy to give it up.

So bad! Fizzy drinks need to be neutralised by your body. If you haven't got enough calcium in your blood from food your body takes the calcium from your bones to neutralise the acid.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I think i saw some research that showed that even if calories were controlled for, people who drank diet soda were heavier. As always a bit of a debate on cause and effect but it is well known that sweetners can cause insulin spikes for some people thus making you hungrier and more susceptible to accumulating fat. If poss. I would recommend cutting down while trying to lose weight and/or trying different sweetners to check if you are sensitive.

They are not good, but for sure the ones with sugar are way worse than a diet drink.

Personally I think they are all terrible. Used to be an avid drinker of DC but found out the chemicals in it were horrendous! I now only have it with alcohol and just drink water, and feel much better for it. Think all carbonated drinks just have too much rubbish in them to be any good for us regardless of weightloss or not.

Back