Just jogged/walked my first 5k

Lauratheloop

Silver Member
Wow all I can say is I feel really proud of myself, I have just jogged mostly with a few spots of fast walking (mainly to get my breath bak think I have a chest infection) anyway me and my OH have dabbled in a bit of jogging mainly nothing more then 2 miles, his a very competent runner where as I'm a very competent cyclist... However swap us round and we are both crap at the others love.
So this year he promise to cycle London to Brighton with me (54 miles) and I've promised I will Learn to run and complete a 10k run by the end o the year.

I started at 16.13 and have lost close to 3 stone at 14.3... This is through healthy eating and cycling but have atleast another 3stone to come off. Running has never been a strong point I wouldn't even run for a bus so tonight has been a superb achievement for me!!

Hubby says I should start seeing more weight coming off as we continue to run 5k atleast 3 times a week an on average I cycle at the moment about 30miles a week this has been low due to weather but will go up as weather warms.

Do you think I will lose weight a bit quicker? I ideally once I'm comfortable jogging do a jog one night an a cycle the next night and use Sunday as my day off (don't worry despite wing over weight my body is super fit at the affects of exercise)

thanks for reading my ramblings lol

Well done, doing a 5k run is one of my goals so reading this has inspired me to keep pushing myself.
Are you feeling a lot of pain doing it, also where did you run; on a track or path?

Didn't really feel any pain surprisingly, I remember when I was bigger and felt a bit of ankle knee pain but this time 3 stone lighter I felt fine, the only thing which seems to have heard me back is my breathing. I'm normally pretty good breathing wise when I cycle although the last week I've been struggling so that's what makes me wonder if I have a cold sitting on my chest - bit coughy too.

All I can say is give it a try... Start off small, me an OH have done 3 or 4 small jogs about 2 miles and these have been on flat pavements... This time the 5k we did it on a mix of pavements and through the woods.
I found the woods hard, the grass and mud track was very bumpy and found it allot more difficult to get into my stride where as we finished the last 1 n 1/4 miles on pavement and I found my pace.

OH gave me a really good tactic this time round, find a spot and run to it, as your approaching size up your next spot, keep running through your first spot and as you et to the second spot repeat the scenario. I covered that mile and quarter allot easier then I thought ;-)

Most importantly if you have to stop don't just stop .... Reduce yourself to a fast walk get your breath back and go again but try to have some structure... More jogging then walking .

Allot of it is mind over matter, I love to feel the burn when cycling but felt uncomfortable with jogging but reckon as time goes on I might actually begin to enjoy it allot more :)

X

well done on completeing the run! not an so easy is it, your being sensible in doing some running before a running event! i was silly and did not do any for my first 5k run, i struggled alot. finished last with a very slow time...

cycling. now thats one thing i couldnt do!

very well done you!

Back