Just started and trying out Slimming World

vikkix86

Hiya everyone,

I accidently came across this site when searching for syn values and I think it is amazing so thought I would join for some help and inspiration.

I'm totally unsure of how to use this site and really confused as to what I should be doing.

I'm trying to lose weight and thought I would try out Slimming World. A friend from work was doing Extra Easy so I'm giving that ago. Unfortunately my friend from work has left so I can't ask her for help anymore.

I think I might have read on here that it is important to make sure you eat your healthy options A and B. Is this right? Most days I go without my B.

Also, I'm on a bit of a budget and have been doing some of my shopping in Farmfoods but I'm having real difficulty in finding syn values. Would anyone be able to help?

The things I would usually buy are:-

LA Diner - Hot and Spicy Chicken Bites 100g cooked
1119kj / 267kcal
Protein 17g / Carb 19g (of which sugers 0.2g) / Total fat 14g (of which saturates 6.1g) / Fibre 0.5g / Sodium 0.8g

LA Diner - Chicken Breast Nuggets 100g cooked
910kj / 216kcal
Protein 13.3g / Carb 26.6g (of which sugers 2.4g) / Total fat 7.1g (of which saturates 1.8g) / Fibre 1.8g / Sodium 0.37g

LA Diner - Crispy Chicken Steaks 100g cooked
745kj / 178cal
Protein 15.5 / Carb 11.6g (of which sugers 0.6g) / Total fat 7.5g (of which saturates 1.2g) / Fibre 0.9g / Sodium 0.4g

LA Diner - Hot and Spicy Chicken Steaks 100g cooked
910kj / 216cal
Protein 14.8 / Carb 11.2g (of which sugers 0.7g) / Total fat 10.8g (of which saturates 1.6g) / Fibre 0.8g / Sodium 0.4g

LA Diner - Southern Fried Chicken Steaks 100g cooked
933kj / 223cal
Protein 15 / Carb 16.8g (of which sugers 0.7g) / Total fat 10.6g (of which saturates 1.6g) / Fibre 0.5g / Sodium 0.4g

Bernard Matthews - Turkey Leg Roast 100g roasted
725kj / 173kcal
Protein 22.6g / Carb 1.1g (of which sugers 1.1g) / Total fat 8.7g (of which saturates 2.8g) / Fibre 0.3g / Sodium 0.2g

Any help anyone could give me would be really appreciated! :D

Vikki
xxx:flirt2:

I'm new to this site as well but I have been doing slimming world for a month. Previously I have lost 2 stone on this"diet" but made the mistake of thinking I could do it at home. U defo need both ur a and b choice to give ur body the energy it need ie fibre and calcium. I don't know about the la diner range because the website doesnt include the ones u want but u would be better of cooking ur own chicken and adding free sauces like soy sauce or worchester sauce or herbs and spices which are all free. Just buy a ready cooked chicken, take off skin and buy plenty of veg and potatoes to have with it x

LA Diner - Hot and Spicy Chicken Bites 100g cooked
1119kj / 267kcal

Protein 17g / Carb 19g (of which sugers 0.2g) / Total fat 14g (of which saturates 6.1g) / Fibre 0.5g / Sodium 0.8g
8.5 syns!!! on Red and EE

LA Diner - Chicken Breast Nuggets 100g cooked
910kj / 216kcal
Protein 13.3g / Carb 26.6g (of which sugers 2.4g) / Total fat 7.1g (of which saturates 1.8g) / Fibre 1.8g / Sodium 0.37g
7 syns on ee and red

LA Diner - Crispy Chicken Steaks 100g cooked
745kj / 178cal
Protein 15.5 / Carb 11.6g (of which sugers 0.6g) / Total fat 7.5g (of which saturates 1.2g) / Fibre 0.9g / Sodium 0.4g
4.5 syns on ee and red

LA Diner - Hot and Spicy Chicken Steaks 100g cooked
910kj / 216cal
Protein 14.8 / Carb 11.2g (of which sugers 0.7g) / Total fat 10.8g (of which saturates 1.6g) / Fibre 0.8g / Sodium 0.4g
6.5 syns on ee and red

LA Diner - Southern Fried Chicken Steaks 100g cooked
933kj / 223cal
Protein 15 / Carb 16.8g (of which sugers 0.7g) / Total fat 10.6g (of which saturates 1.6g) / Fibre 0.5g / Sodium 0.4g
7 syns on red and ee

Bernard Matthews - Turkey Leg Roast 100g roasted
725kj / 173kcal
Protein 22.6g / Carb 1.1g (of which sugers 1.1g) / Total fat 8.7g (of which saturates 2.8g) / Fibre 0.3g / Sodium 0.2g
2.5 syns on ee and red

All of these are really high in syns considering you can make similar things yourself.

Why not try getting some fresh chicken pieces (about £3 for quite a lot in Tesco)
Mix one tbsp of curry powder with some natural yogurt and coriander. Dip the pieces into the mixture and then cook as normal. Very tasty and TOTALLY SYN FREE on ee and red!

Just been having a think about what you could buy on your budget and have found the following syn free foods in Iceland!

Hope they help!

Chargrilled sliced chicken breast 380g pack
Chicken spears, Korma, 30 pack
Chicken spears, Korma/Tikka, 16 pack
Chilli and Coriander Chicken Kebabs, 6 pack
Chilli and Lime Chicken Kebabs, 8 pack
Simple to Cook Mexican Chicken Breast in Spicy Tomato Sauce, 235g pack
Tikka Chicken Strips (Chilled)
Tikka Sliced Chicken Breast (frozen) 380g pack
Beef Sirloin Joint with Peppercorn Crust, Easy Carve, 800g pack
Beef Sirloin Joint, Basted, Easy Carve, 700g pack
Sliced Beef in Gravy 200g pack
Sliced Beef in Gravy, Twin Pack, 210g pack
White Fish Fillets, 6 pack
Sliced Lamb in Minted Gravy, 300g pack
Oriental Veg Mix, 907g pack
Gammon Joint with Honey Glaze, Easy Carve, 1kg pack
Gammon Steaks in a Cheddar and Leek Sauce, Twin Pack, 175g each

Oh wow!! I can't believe how high the LA Diner stuff is. I'm totally shocked, I didn't think they'd be that much. :cry:

There is a shop near where I live that sells 10kg of chicken breasts for £37 so I usually get that every couple of months but it's just trying to think of different ways to cook it.

What I've been sometimes is using some of the Ol El Paso fajita seasoning but only using a little bit of it. I think 1 fajita mix has lasted over 6 meals which cuts down on the syns.

Thanks so much for the suggestions at Iceland. I live right near an Iceland so it's pretty simple to shop there.

Thanks also for the tip re seasoning chicken at home.

How do other people cook chicken to have a bit of variaty but to still have nil to low syns?

Thanks again for everyones help. Without it I would still be eating the LA Diner food!

Vikki
xx :flirt2:

HI Vikki

I like to make chicken breast topped with lean bacon and cheese(HEA) and syn free BBQ sauce yum. If you search the forum you will find it and its quick, syn free on red and EE and easy to make.

Do you have an 'ethnic food' aisle in your local supermarket, or even better, a shop which sells Halal meat and herbs/spices?

Fristly, Halal meat tneds to be cheaper (no idea why) so you can buy meat cheaper. Second, you can buy big bags of spcies for about a quid each and they last for ages

If you were to buy

Ground Cumin,
Ground Coriander,
Ground Cinnamon
Groun d Ginger
Paprika
Chilli Powder
Curry Power
All purpose seasoning

You'd have the basics for a whole bunch of receipes. Plus these shop tend to also have loads of differnet chillis and fresh ginger etcv for much lower prices than the supermarkets.

That along with some cheap tinned tomatoes (aldi to them for about 30p a can) and some cheap stock cubes & you have everything you need to make

1) Chicken Curry (there are loads of different varieties depending on the type and how much of each spice you use
2) Medieteranean Chicken (just chicken, potato, onion, paprika, whatever other veg you fancy, a tin of tomatoes & a chicken stock cube)
3) Carribean Chicken Curry (if you can get some Scotch bonnets even better
4) Paprika Chicken (just chicken marinaded in lemon juice (you can buy a bottle for 50p) and paprika then grilled
5) SW Pizza Topped CHicken (using your health a for cheese)
6) Chicken, Potato and Spinach Curry (get frozen spinach as its cheaper) - this is proper easy. Chicken pieces, potato (I just cut up a jacket potato, tin of tomatoes, an onion, garlic some spinach, stock, curry powder. Leave for 30 mins to cook. Job done.

Plus, remember that Pork is sometimes alot cheaper than chicken. I have loads of receipe ideas for that too :)

Hi Kingleds
I'd love a few recipes for pork, please post some.

Back