Justle Jumping on the bandwagon

justle1

Ok firstly I'll just say that I'm rubbish at keeping these diaries up BUT we'll see how I go with this one.

Little bit about me then.

I'm Justle almost 30, two small boys (ones 4.5 and the other is 3) married, care assistant working towards a Diploma so that I can apply to go to UNI to be a midwife.

I got really big when i was pregnant with my first child - i put on almost 5 stone with him (bad i know!) when i got pregnant i was a size 12, when i got out of maternity clothes i went shopping for a pair of jeans and couldnt do up a size 20. I refused to even try on a 22 and stayed in my maternity trousers.

I never lost any weight and ate like a pig - HEAVY on carbs and chocolate (the bad guys).

After my second child was born i remember having a really bad day - i suffered a mild bit of depression probably weight related tbh - and i decided i was going to go out for a jog - i'd heard friends of mine rave about jogging for stress relief.

I was hooked on the stress relieving properties of exercise so i decided to get fit. I was around 220lbs (a shade higher i guess) and still a size 20 with a BMI of 34!

I am happy to say that through exercise and healthy eating - NOT calorie restricting i might add - I managed to get myself down to 170lbs and I got into a size 12 again :)

My exercise routine was pretty hefty though and a busy few weeks combined with a few weeks of illness in our house stopped any exercise i was doing and i slowly crept back up to 178 =- not a happy bunny!

I started to gradually eat less carbs (pasta, rice, bread etc) and so a friend suggested i read one of Gary Taubes' books about Carb free eating. I read it and agreed with it - since i was going low carb naturally i decided thats how i'd go from now on, low-no carbs.

4 weeks after cutting out those carbs and i feel so much better with out having to workout for an hour each day - i dont miss the carbs either - not with so many other lovely alternatives out there.

That moves me onto JUDDD. I got here after the afore mentioned friend told me about the Horizon episode. I watched it and enjoyed the science behind it - there are some days when we're busy that i could do without having to plan low/no carb meals and so doing juddd sounded relatively easy so i figured i'd give it a shot.

So here we are - my first DD, i ate my last meal at 8pm last night and will be eating dinner again tonight at 8pm.

Today i've had a tin of tuna, some nuts a bit of an apple and a couple of eggs - totalling 534 cals.

I was SUPPOSED to be sticking to 500 however I still carried out a small 30min workout this morning wherein i burnt approximatly 130 calories so i'm still in that 500 calorie bracket for today (and thats not including the 20 min walk i did carrying 2 4 year olds totalling 80lbs of weight!!)

My next DD will be Thursday-Friday night I'll eat my last meal at around 7pm on thursday night and my next on friday night before i go to work - i work night shifts on the weekend hence doing it 7-7 means that i can still fuel myself for my night shift and not miss out on a dd.

I may very well do another DD on sunday where in i'll take my last meal during the night on saturdays night shift and i'll go to bed on sunday without eating and will have a nice 500 cal meal for dinner on sunday night.

Next week i plan to have DD's on tuesday and thursday then saturday.

By me not eating those big carbs i dont really see this plan being an issue for me, my diet is high fat and high protein which is very filling - i ate my tuna and eggs at 12 midday today and i havent felt remotely hungry yet!

anyway if you havent already guessed i talk a lot (a lot a lot) and my posts will regularly be long (probably) BUT hopefully people will find them helpful sometimes, i (think) i know a fair bit about healthy eating, got some cracking recipes and great workout tips.

bye for now!

x Justle

Justle welcome and good luck i'll be reading you don't worry whether is long or short :)

Hey Hun welcome xxx I'm interested in ur low carb lifestyle what kinda things were u eating? X

Thanks for the welcome gals :D

MissieCB the idea (so says Taubes) is to not only increase your protein intake but also your healthy fats so instead of having burgers with bread rolls my husband and i have 2 burgers in lettuce rolls (iceberg lettuce leaves) which are an amazingly good replacement for bread (which is weird right?) we eat cauliflower rice and cauliflower pizza's and also use mushrooms instead of burger buns.

theres a lot more meat (yum!) eggs, veg, advocados and eggs - yes WHOLE eggs

I never get IBS or bloating or wind (sorry) anymore and in 2 weeks have managed to shift 5lbs.

BUT its really something that you have to commit to because i'm sure that if you went back to eating those carbs you'd pile the weight right back on again.

Happy to say that this morning the scale says 169.4 which is fantastic because i've been waiting to see under 170 for what feels like forever!

ahhh I see where did you get these tips from??? and well done on under 170 xxxxx

Thanks for the welcome gals :D

MissieCB the idea (so says Taubes) is to not only increase your protein intake but also your healthy fats so instead of having burgers with bread rolls my husband and i have 2 burgers in lettuce rolls (iceberg lettuce leaves) which are an amazingly good replacement for bread (which is weird right?) we eat cauliflower rice and cauliflower pizza's and also use mushrooms instead of burger buns.

theres a lot more meat (yum!) eggs, veg, advocados and eggs - yes WHOLE eggs

I never get IBS or bloating or wind (sorry) anymore and in 2 weeks have managed to shift 5lbs.

BUT its really something that you have to commit to because i'm sure that if you went back to eating those carbs you'd pile the weight right back on again.

This sounds like something I'd like to do eventually. Well done on shifting 5lbs!

Hi and welcome, could never do low carb again as I have some kidney damage and the high protein triggers problems off, but seems like its agreeing with you and to be honest I am a sucker for the 'bad guys' not that I see them as bad anymore lol x Have you seen the low carb forum, its American and they have a Juddd section , most of those members do Juddd alongside low carb so you should get a lot from that x Just a little note you can't work off cals therefore eat more on DD s, you have done just fine with 534 so no problems there but I wouldn't want you to get into the habit of eating more because you have exercised, It doesn't work like that on DD s , you have to have a certain amount of cals in regardless of activity, not criticising at all just saying so you know its often asked whether you can do this x
You have done really well already so I am sure you and juddd will get along just fine x

didnt know that bajoleth thank you.

So i had another DD on friday and again it was fine really not having issues with them at all, i'm used to not eating until later in the day and used to drinking loads of water.
Happy to say that i'm also able to continue exercising on my dd's - i do love to workout and tend to feel more tired if i dont do something in the mornings, i was worried that i would have to forfeit them on my dd's.

technically today has been an inbetween day - only because i've only eaten dinner today - as i've been asleep after my night shift last nigh - another tonight and i can enjoy a proper up day tomorrow and monday :D

Glad all is going well, following a diet plan while on nights is bloomin hard so hat off to you xx

So last night was actually quite good - normally i feel as though i'm eating all night but i had 1 tin of corned beef which probably sounds strange but it was my best option as i hadnt actually taken any food to work (i work in a care home so its slim pickings normally!) and as i was chopping the veg last night (along with my fingers!) i had some raw cauliflower (does anyone else really like raw cauliflower?) and some carrots and they filled me up all night.

Tomorrow is my official weigh in day so i'm interested to see what the scales look like.

Not sure what days next week i'm going to use as DD's i'm sure i'll figure that out each day when i wake up.

So the weekend did not go so well - I suspect that my weigh in day would've been much better if my husband had not made a tub of oat cookies and i had not eaten them all :( carb overload on a no carb diet doesnt go down so well.

Ah well will know better for next time.

Back