Kaz's vegan food diary

KazGoa65

So, having just joined Slimming World and being baffled by the amount of food I can eat, I thought I'd post my food diary. ALL of my food is vegan and the syn values quoted are for green days. Please feel free to comment or ask questions and as I'm new to SW, if I've made mistakes then please correct me. A lot of my evening meal recipes are taken from Appetite for Reduction (AFR) by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and I've found that a lot of these are actually syn free!:bliss:
Happy reading ................

:welcome:

Only on day 4 of SW and not missing stuff at the moment :happy036:

Food for yesterday:

Beakfast: 2 wholemeal toast (HExB), baked beans, mushrooms fried in fry light, brown sauce 1 syn, 250ml rice milk (HExA)

Lunch: homemade syn-free falafels, mixed salad, 20 cashew nuts (HExB), Asda light salad cream 2 syns

Snack: 1 clementine orange

Dinner: Chinese Takeaway - mix veg in black bean sauce, plain boiled rice, a few noodles (5 syns for black bean sauce)

Total syns: 8

No exercise as I'm a lazy person - anyone who can get me motivated deserves a medal!!! :sign0163:

Thanks for the tip Kaz. was only talking to my partner about eating less meat last night and vegan recipes tend to be lower in syns than vegetarian ones, so have just ordered Appetite for Reduction.

Thanks for the tip Kaz. was only talking to my partner about eating less meat last night and vegan recipes tend to be lower in syns than vegetarian ones, so have just ordered Appetite for Reduction.
You're most welcome - I actually thought the recipes were going to be so dull and boring but I have been pleasantly surprised. As its an American book you may find it easier to buy a set of measuring cups (Asda do them really cheap). Its much easier than trying to convert all of the measurements.

Good thinking! I'll get some when I'm next in there (have already been once today!) Looking forward to an early night with my new recipe book tomorrow night now as long as Amazon Prime does what it says on the tin!

Let me know how you get on with it!

Hi sorry to butt in but I've just bought this book as well and some of the recipes contain tempeh which I'd never heard of!
Do you know anywhere you can buy this?

As far as I know they don't have it in Holland & Barrett or in Asda - which is where I mostly shop. Maybe try a Chinese supermarket or online? Tempeh is another produce made from soya but I've never used it and would have to read up on how to cook it too.

H & B and Asda do not have it.
Local Health Food shop is usually the best place - we have 2 near me and they both sell it. Not seen it in the Chinese supermarket either.

Makes nice burgers when marinated.

When we were in Oz all supermarkets sold it and it about 4 different flavours - it was brilliant - why not in UK?

Last edited:
When we were in Oz all supermarkets sold it and it about 4 different flavours - it was brilliant - why not in UK?

Having read a few other forums it appears there are a few countries that have it in abundance. It would seem that since Quorn has cornered the market here in the UK there is no room on supermarket shelves for tempeh/tofu/seitan products :grumble:

Just being nosey now - is your user name anything to do with Goa - the State in India?

Have really amazed myself this weekend -having had a pretty crappy time with people really taking the mick I've actually stuck to plan and not reached for the crisps and biscuits! Still lacking motivation to exercise and also keep forgetting to drink gallons of water but its early days and hopefully things will improve!

Food today:
Breakfast: Fruit salad (grapes, banana, clementine, blueberries) 250ml rice milk (HExA)

Lunch: Upside Down Shepherd's Pie (AFR recipe) : Puy lentils, carrots, courgette, peas, shittake mushrooms, onion, vegetable stock
Served with Caulipots (mashed cauliflower and potato) - uses 1 tbsp olive oil so counted this as HExB

Dinner: 2 wholemeal toast (HExB), 2 tsp vegan marg (3 syns), homemade cauliflower and sweet potato soup

Just being nosey now - is your user name anything to do with Goa - the State in India?

Yes it is - been there twice and its my most favourite place on earth (not that I've been everywhere on earth yet)

We have lived there in the winter for the last 18 years and have just sold our apartment there.

Hi kaz another vegan here! Looking forward to reading your diary , I have just ordered a couple of Isa's books :)

Hi Kaz

I'm trying to make the change to being a vegan so will be following your diary with interest - I need all the inspiration I can get. I'm a bit of a lazy mare and no motivation to exercise either :)

Made the huge mistake of getting on the scales today and to my horror I was 2lb heavier than last week! Hopefully I will have actually lost something by the time Wednesday morning weigh in comes round. Still no exercise but have ordered 30 day shred which will probably sit with the other exercise DVDs I have :sign0007:

Today's food consisted of:
Breakfast: banana, strawberries, blueberries, 75ml soya yoghurt (1syn) and 250ml rice milk

Lunch: 1 wholemeal pitta (HExB), syn free falafel, salad, salad cream (2syns) and a packet of Seabrooks salted crisps (8½syns)

Dinner: Black bean chill (black beans, courgettes, sweet corn, carrots, onion) 1 wholemeal pitta (HExB) and brown rice

The 30 Day Shred is very good - I have done it a couple of times (last year) did it every other day and will get back into it when Physio says it is ok.

We have lived there in the winter for the last 18 years and have just sold our apartment there.
I'm sure its changed a lot since 2000 which is when I was last there. Would love to go back one day soon!

Hi kaz another vegan here! Looking forward to reading your diary , I have just ordered a couple of Isa's books
Hi Kel, which of Isa's books did you order? I still can't get over how tasty her recipes are, even my kids love them.

I'm trying to make the change to being a vegan so will be following your diary with interest - I need all the inspiration I can get. I'm a bit of a lazy mare and no motivation to exercise either
Hey Vanda, welcome! - Are you vegetarian now? I went straight from meat eater to vegan and found it surprisingly easy, although I wasn't much of a meat lover anyway. You can virtually get anything in vegan form as long as you know where to look. There are a number of vegan's posting on minimins and we would all love to help you and give any advice you need :hug99:

Back