Keeping Cost's Down!

emilybananna

Hey Guys, just wondering if anybody has any tips for cheap meals / snacks.

What with the price of fresh fruit and veg nowadays, (even buying at the market) it seems to cost an arm and a leg!

Any meals, fresh or otherwise, please post. May help a few other 'savvy savers' too :p

Em

-x-

Grow some of your own if you can... although that said I keep shouting at my purple sprouting broccolli plants (a year old and about ready to flower and give me PSB to die for) telling them to hurry up.

I find pulses are brilliant for saving money. I soak them overnight and then use my pressure cooker. 5mins for cannelini beans, 7 for chickpeas. There's only 2 of us so I get 4 meals out of a pack, less than 25p for the protein element of the meal.

If you can go to the markets later in the afternoon then they reduce the veg rather than take it home. Supermarkets mark things down after 6 or sometimes earlier.

I grow abit of my own veg. Herbs, salad leaves, chard and things that are easy but expensive in the shops eg mangetout. But if you like basil, buy a plant and you can root shoots in water to make another plant for free if you don't fancy seeds.

But if you like basil, buy a plant and you can root shoots in water to make another plant for free if you don't fancy seeds.

works for coriander too. I've never managed to get coriander shoots to get over about 5cm high before they just die, but I have a year old ex-supermarket coriander which I split into 4 pots..

Im at bit the same with food finances I came out of work early January and am now feeling the pinch as my last wage ran out and am struggling with buying the fruit and 0% greek yogurt the big tub I used to buy. I dont like any of the cheap ones Ive tried them all.

It is hard to eat healthy cheapist and all the junk is usually the cheapest, but I wont let it get me down, will always buy the healthiest I can.

I spent £100 on healthy food this week cant afford to keep doing that
ours tends to be about 70 a week , i could probably fill a whole trolly in morrisons full of frozen pizzas and chicken nuggets crisps etc and still have change for that

I wish the supermarkets would bring their prices down

we end up going out twice a week for fruit as me and the OH are both doing SW

Hi Emily

I'd definitely give Icelands a go for frozen vegetables, most of it is just £1, does lots of meals and you don't have to worry about using it all up before it's goes off like fresh would! You get so much more with your money with frozen :)

Have a home bargains that's just opened up near me, they sell pasta n sauce for 59p a pack! And 99p stores usually have boxes of Alpen light bars and low calorie crisps like wotsits and quavers :)

Hope this helps!

Packs of crisps are good value I cant buy them because I will eat a few packs because I have them in so if I have crisp I buy them singly

Some supermarkets are doing certain fruit and veg for a pound, I know in WR have mushrooms and grapes and things. Other wise try frozen fruit and veg, and also as some one said going to (smaller) supermarkets late afternoon you can get reduced stuff (I work in a small WR branch and we second reduce about 5pm), also 99p shops and poundland have things like crisps, alpen/cereal bars, hot chocolate and such. End off day at markets is also good sometimes as often they will have things like bananas they need to be rid off (the fruit and veg man at our local car boot is great for that).

I was lucky today in a local shop they were selling packs of mushrooms 25p so I bought 2 of them I used a lot of them today. Ive been annoyed in the past when Ive bought something reduced and not used it.

Back