Ketosis Advice Please!

J2BLUE

Low Carber
I've been on a slightly modified version of Atkins (i've allowed myself nuts etc but stuck to under 20g carbs) for two weeks and lost a stone. I'm obviously in ketosis and loving the weight loss but i'm craving bread, oats and other carbs more than I ever thought I would! The weight loss far outweighs the pain of going without these foods but I feel as if i'm going to be holding of police with gun fire in a Hovis factory before long!

I'll get to the point:

1) How many carbs can you have without leaving ketosis? I realise many may not know the answer to this if you've given 100% (and well done!) or those who do know, it will be a personal number but i'm just looking for a guideline.

2) If I had a 'healthy' meal off the diet (wholewheat pasta, tomato pasta sauce and quorn fillets or something) how long would it take to go back into ketosis? (roughly)

3) Edit: remembered the question! If I keep carbs low, under 20g, is it ok to use those carbs on anything? So far i've been having veg and a few berries etc but on very rare occasions could I have a slice of bread (for roughly 15g carbs) and then limit the veg? I'm happy to cut sugars out almost entirely but I wondered if introducing flour back in even in tiny amounts would be trouble?

Thanks for any replies! Sorry if these are unanswerable questions.

Last edited:
Hi there,

1) There's no easy answer I'm afraid. Everyone has different tolerances. Once you move onto Ongoing Weight Loss you'll find out how many more carbs you can eat whilst still losing. The whole 20g thing is just a starting point, designed to drain your body of existing glucose/glycogen stores so you can enter ketosis.

Edit: Also, after a couple of weeks, your cravings (at least in my experience) really diminish. I've found eating becomes more functional than anything. I still want all those lovely foods but they're just not as tempting as they were before. I think it's because your body gets used to not thinking it needs a quick fix of carbs as your blood sugar stabilises. I think!

2) Can't help there, I've been too scared to try dipping my toe into that water! But again I think everyone will be slightly different. 12h - 3 days are the spread of opinions I've seen around here!

3) Happens to me all the time!

I'm happy to be contradicted if anyone disagrees with the above - I'm still learning too!

Congrats on your losses so far!

Thanks Michael!

I think i'll just stick to induction longer. I have a long way to go and want fast losses. I'll have a look at the menu plans to make meals more interesting and try and get through it! Cheers.

Welcome Blue

Michael is right, it seems to be different for many of us.

I've been on induction for three months now and decided (after realising carbs were sneaking in all over the place) to just follow's Jim's KISS plan - meat and green leafies - although I do have Atkins chocolate and some sugar free sweets regularly. I don't do nuts, avocado, olives or any of the other stuff you're allowed daily - and have just, with great sadness and longing, given up red wine...:cry:

I don't have ketosis breath but am still losing weight, albeit slowly - but I have a lot to lose and want to do this properly, and for life (how dramatic lol).

I've found saviours in the way of Mims - easy to make and they really fill that cake gap, so give them a try - but not every day :)

Ask a million questions if you like - everyone here is amazingly helpful, sometimes very naughty (very :eek:) and a lot of fun to be with :D We can be atkins buddies, lose lots of weight together, eat scrummy food and have fun too. Bonus! :D

Susie

Hi Blue

Im having 40 carbs a day (advised by the hospital for me) and I am very much in ketosis, even though I am in the middle of week 2 (Im just doing what im told haha). I am sure you will find a balance thats right for you.

Hi Blue, yes everyone will vary.

I come out of ketosis at about 35G of carbs. I maintain at between 45 - 50, any more than that and I start gaining.

Thanks for the replies and sorry for bringing this back up to the top after so long but wanted to give an update. I went ahead and did it after saying I wouldn't...I had rolls, chips, oreos, doritos and loads of other crap. Basically a massive binge and I have to say I don't regret it for a second!

It was a learning experience for sure. I learnt it was a stupid thing to do but it got it out of my system and I now know that eating that stuff is nowhere near as good as feeling your weight loss increase day by day. My clothes seem to fit better everyday and my jeans which were tight two weeks ago are now a bit loose! I bought a shirt I wanted to get into for Christmas and it was really tight. Two weeks later it almost fits. In two weeks it will fit!

I struggled to get back into ketosis for 3-4 days. It's a bit sad because i've just passed the 4 stone mark and wanted 5 by Christmas and I think I would have got there if it wasn't for that binge but I shall make it by NYE but like I said it was worth it!

I don't suggest anyone else does it though! It just isn't worth the week you lose. This diet is amazing.

Thanks again.

Hey Blue, don't worry hun, we all fall off the wagon from time to time - comes with being human :) I've munched on a couple of mince pies this week :eek:

Maybe try looking at Atkins-friendly alternatives for those times you want something carby? This morning I really fancied cheese and marmite on toast, so made a herb Mim (one 2g carb mix makes two slices) and toasted them (using toastie bags, works much better than just putting them straight in the toaster) - and they really hit the spot! :D

As for the other carby stuff you mentioned -

- rolls - try an oopsie roll? I haven't tried them yet but the others love them, can't find the recipe here but here's a link to another recipe - http://genaw.com/lowcarb/improved_revolution_rolls.html

- chips - what about making cauli mash and frying chip sized pieces?

- oreos - hmm bit of a challenge here, but maybe make a choc Mim in a round microwave dish, and once zapped bake in the oven to make it crispy and put choc icing (with Splenda) in the middle?

- doritos - try making cheese snaps? Someone has posted a recipe here (apologies for not remembering who) - squares of cheese, zapped in the microwave - ok so it's not quite the same thing - but virtually carb free!

Susie

Last edited:
Hi Blue, try celeriac chips, I love them.

Hey Blue, don't worry hun, we all fall off the wagon from time to time - comes with being human :) I've munched on a couple of mince pies this week :eek:

Maybe try looking at Atkins-friendly alternatives for those times you want something carby? This morning I really fancied cheese and marmite on toast, so made a herb Mim (one 2g carb mix makes two slices) and toasted them (using toastie bags, works much better than just putting them straight in the toaster) - and they really hit the spot! :D

- rolls - try an oopsie roll? I haven't tried them yet but the others love them, can't find the recipe here but here's a link to another recipe - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

- oreos - hmm bit of a challenge here, but maybe make a choc Mim in a round microwave dish, and once zapped bake in the oven to make it crispy and put choc icing (with Splenda) in the middle?

- doritos - try making cheese snaps? Someone has posted a recipe here (apologies for not remembering who) - squares of cheese, zapped in the microwave - ok so it's not quite the same thing - but virtually carb free!

Susie

Some great ideas there Lady S xx

But I've already suggested them Vicky. :)

ah I couldnt be bothered to read much more LOL Lazy!

- rolls - try an oopsie roll? I haven't tried them yet but the others love them, can't find the recipe here but here's a link to another recipe - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Susie

wow thank you for that awesome reply and to everyone else for the support!

I have actually discovered the cheese crisps and they've become a staple lol. It's good to find something with that crunch.

I love the oreo idea so I will try that one day.

I've been ordering Joseph's pittas. 4g per pitta and i've made garlic bread and pizzas with them! Small covering of pizza sauce or some melted garlic butter and topped with cheese. It doesn't feel like a diet :D

Does anyone else find they just don't want to eat sometimes? i'm thinking of getting some Myoplex Carb Sense shakes and taking them with some omega 3 oil when I don't want to eat...which is pretty much every morning.

Thanks again to all

I have to really force myself to eat in the morning, but it's better when I do, otherwise I'm hungrier throughout the day - or in the middle of the night, like last night :). Plus, with Atkins your appetite falls off a bit too, yaye :)

Like the pitta bread pizza idea - and this week am going to try a cauli mash base too :)

some people just aren't hungry in the mornings I suppose, I tend to have my evening meal quite early so come morning I'm starving.

Back