Ketosis and Ketostix

Lux

I'm hoping someone can clarify something for me...
How accurate are ketostix for assessing whether we are in ketosis or not? I've read that they are used by diabetics to identify dangerous levels of ketones in the body?

I had this conversation with my dr when I started on CD and he said that it's really hit and miss, especially as on this type of diet your fluid intake is so high it will dilute the ketones. Some people will show up really well and others won't, it doesn't mean they aren't in ketosis...you should know by how you are feeling, less hungry, cold when you probably shouldn't be, could have a nasty metallic type taste in your mouth, everyone's different but when you are well and truly in ketosis....you know :)

I had this conversation with my dr when I started on CD and he said that it's really hit and miss, especially as on this type of diet your fluid intake is so high it will dilute the ketones. Some people will show up really well and others won't, it doesn't mean they aren't in ketosis...you should know by how you are feeling, less hungry, cold when you probably shouldn't be, could have a nasty metallic type taste in your mouth, everyone's different but when you are well and truly in ketosis....you know :)

I agree with Lani - when you're in a state of ketosis, all the signs you read about are certainly apparent. For instance, at the moment I'm definitely aware of my very dry, weirdly metallic mouth and the fact that I get very cold quite easily. But I do use keto sticks - I think more for my own reassurance rather than anything else. I've always found them to be reliable - as long as the colour changes, you're in ketosis and the darker the colour of the stick, the more dehydrated you are (so I was told by my LL counsellor) so time to have a drink!

The metallic taste comes and goes, and definately gets less obvious the longer you are in ketosis...but it is grim thats for sure :brushing teeth:

My office is like a sauna, and i'm here in 2 hoodies today (looking like a complete chav....but I don't care haha)

Back