Ketostix / Boots policy... what?

msrsimpkin

Flubber Buster
Well, I still wasn't sure if I was in Ketosis yet as I haven't noticed any of the signs. I read on here that the best place to get Ketostix is from Boots Pharmacy, so I popped along to Boots to pick some up.

When I asked the woman at the Pharmacy counter she immediately looked concerned and asked if I was diabetic. I said No, so asked what they were for. So I told her they were for use while doing Atkins. I was told that they weren't allowed to sell them for that reason because they would be encouraging a very unhealthy and very dangerous way of loosing weight! -_-

I tried a couple of different stores in the area, all with the same results and the same mini lecture and disapproving look! Until I'm the end I just lied and said they were for my sister in law (who does have diabetes). And still she was very reluctant to sell them to me.

Okay, so I understand that if they genuinely think that Atkins is dangerous, they don't want to appear to be promoting it, but it's not like people aren't still going to follow Atkins just because you won't sell them some sticks to pee on!

Sorry, rant over. Just wanted to share how stupid I thought it was!

I'm almost sure that Boots has had to back down on their 'policy' before but don't bother with them msrsimpkin, I get mine from Amazon.

Boots in Bristol

Think it was me that suggested Boots. I have bought them on 4 occasions from various Boots in Bristol, and never had the slightest problem, good job because I would have had something to say back if they had!! Yesterday I bought the Keto diastix because thats all they had, and still was sold them without a problem. How annoying that a shop assistant should be able to pass a judgement on something she/he probably knows nothing about!

Slaj, that's a very good point! I wish I'd thought of that at the time! I guess it just means I'll have to lie about having diabetes in future, then :S

I got mine on ebay, quick delivery and no questions asked!

yeah i got mine from amazon, no questions asked and no problem.

As Garry Taubes would say, Boots policy is based on bad science..
:rolleyes: :D

Boots is where I got my Atkins book from!! I got the same warning from the cashier when I got to the till, but the girl next to her said pay no attention it had worked wonders for her and don't knock it til you try it.
The girl who served me was on the extremely large side so did make me smile.

This is one of the things you will keep encountering while doing Atkins. There are lots of people out there who think that reading one negative (and completely false) story in the Mail makes them an expert on all things nutritional!

I just say I'm doing low carb these days.

And I am gobsmacked at Boots - feel like writing a letter of complete indignation at their hypocrisy. But the feeling will pass :D

Hahaha! Very true, Jenn! And I'm even more annoyed now that I realise Boots are happy enough to sell the Atkins books and food, but insist on lecturing people on how it's "very unhealthy"!

Last edited:
This is one of the things you will keep encountering while doing Atkins. There are lots of people out there who think that reading one negative (and completely false) story in the Mail makes them an expert on all things nutritional!

I just say I'm doing low carb these days.

And I am gobsmacked at Boots - feel like writing a letter of complete indignation at their hypocrisy. But the feeling will pass :D

Perhaps we should all send a petition to Boots, on their flawed science. :)

What I find weird is that you can go to Lloyds pharmacy and get put on Lipotrim, which is one of those very low calorie diets. You subsist on packet shakes and soups, on a calorie count way under your daily requirement, and go into ketosis. That is 100% more unhealthy than Atkins, but you do it through your chemist! I wonder what Boots would say if someone asked for ketostix because they're on a very low cal diet?

(NB I'm not saying people shouldn't do very low cal diets, I considered it myself, and clearly they work for people. Nobody seriously thinks it's really healthy though, do they? Healthier than meat and two veg Atkins?)

What twit in Boots decided that Atkins was unhealthy & that it's customers should be treated like half wits?
The same twit who decided to sell his book and products - at a profit?

Hi all,

It funny you should mention this I've had problems with boots in the passed too.

A few months ago a friend told me about some tablets for water retention for when she felt bloated before her girlie's each month and as I was having the same problem I popped off to Boots to get some, After a thousand questions they wouldn't sell them to me and told me to see a doctor. In the end I got them from another place . On the back of the packet it said it was suitable for my needs . .. No doctors appointment needed then?

So when I went to get my keto sticks I too lied I said they were for my dad. I felt horrid but they got so silly last time and I've mentioned Atkins before, Only to get a few raised eye brows. Dieting is hard enough with out being judge for trying to improve your health.

Rant over lol x

Back