Kettlebells for skinny son?

wannadrop3st

Hey guys,
My son is 17 and very underweight for his age, he is just shy of 7st and 5ft 4!
He has been under the hospital about his growth as it was normal till he was around 12, then he seemed to stay the same whereas his friends were growing up!
His arms are very skinny and he has real issues about them, at the moment he is on protein whey powder (each drink is around 1200cals, he has one a day) and he wants to start using weights, I suggested kettle bell as we have them already and I don't see the point of paying out lots of money for more weights?
Or am I wrong and kettle bell excersize will not help him build up muscle in his arms? (elsewhere would be a bonus)
Any ideas??

Thanks guys

i know kettlebells helps you tone up and loose inches but im not sure if it will help in bulking up. I think maybe he should consult a nutritionist and a personal trainer for best advice tailored specifically for him and that might help. Good luck :)

I think that it would help build muscle and tone up elsewhere but not sure about bulk, my Kettlebell instructor said to have a protein snack or a protein shake after working out to help with replacing lost energy and to help muscle development .. Start with a light weight and build it up once he can handle the lower on .. Maybe once the muscle develops and he is swinging a much heavier weight that the bulk might come ???

To bulk up he should be aiming to do fewer reps with heavier weights. Given the price of the heavier kettlebells which he would eventually need it might be more cost effective in the long run to just get a free weights set (bars and plates, so he can adjust) - I have a York spin lock set from Argos that I like.

Before you buy anything, maybe see if your library has a copy of New Rules of Lifting for some starter information?

All that said, my husband has a skinny runners build and I think his arms are a bit bigger from doing Kettleworx. Only a bit though, for him it hasn't been a way to bulk up fast.

HTH!

Back