Kettleworx 6weeks, or Kettlercise for Women?

BarbaraG

Uncovering the real Me
Hi,

I bought myself a 5kg kettlebell from Tescos a few weeks ago, but only picked it up in anger on Christmas Eve - and oh boy! I used a routine off YouTube, did 20 minutes, and can really feel it. Did it again this morning - I am hooked!

Background - I stared sensible eating and going to the gym in January, weighing 21 1/2 stone. Back end of February I found slimpods, which have dealt with my binge eating. Last time I weighed three weeks ago, I was a shade under 15 stone and I've topped from size 28-30 to an 18. So, still a good chunk of weight to lose and determined that by the end of 2013 I am going to be in the best shape of my life!

They do kettlebell classes at my gym, so I'm going to get along to one on Saturday. But I'm very interested in the Kettleworx programme - my next goal is to get into a size 16 by Easter, and it sounds like this programe could really help with that. OTOH, the Kettlercise for Women one looks good too.

Anyone tried both and have a preference? The 3x 20 minutes appeals and I would probably supplement with some gym visits to do cardio intervals or something.

Or I could just continue doing workouts off the Internet...

Barbara

Im just going with workouts form youtube and Shred it with weights dvd. I did 20 mins of the shred dvd and couldnt finish the last 10 mins! Iv found a 20 minute workout on youtube (HASfits 20 minute kettlebell workout) and I looked at it last night and im going to try it now whilst the kids are quiet! I like to mix and match workouts so programs arent good for me. I like the choice of mixing 2/3 workouts together a week depending on how I feel.

I have kettleworx and really like the variation in routines. My husband has kettlercise for men (which just has one short and one long routine) and the instructor is more 'no-nonsense'; Ryan who does kettleworx is very Canadian and upbeat (and obsessed with getting us into our skinny jeans, lol).

OK, I got the Kettleworx set from Argos - £49.99 including a 5lb kettlebell. I've just watched the into - can't see anything that tells me which order I should do the workouts in? I presume it's one of each cardio/resistance/core each week - but does it matter what order?

Oh - and I did a kettlebell class at my gym this morning - 45 mins, but included some cardio and abs as well as kettlbell work. Feeling OK so far, might feel differently tomorrow!

Barbara

Great that you got to class! :)

Any order is fine for KW (so just suit your own schedule - I do core instead of resistance on a Thursday so I'm not sore all weekend, for example) and you're correct that you do one each of cardio, core and resistance each week. Week 1 cardio is notorious for being the worst of the lot so many people get it out of the way first! Let us know how you get on! :)

Will do! My plan is: tomorrow - rest day (need one!!); Monday - gym for weights and core; Tuesday (gym closed) - first Kettleworx session - guess I'll make that the cardio, then. Wednesday - my birthday - probably a rest day as will be driving my Mum to my sister's, then going shopping with sister; Thursday - either gym or Kettleworx again.

I don't want to give up the gym, so I will probably end up doing the Kettleworx programme a bit slower than it says, as some weeks I will only get two sessions in. I want to do 2 or 3 in the gym, I have signed up for skating lessons beginning the week after next (for 6 weeks), and sometimes we go for a long walk or cycle ride on our days off. And I need to have one complete rest day each week.

But if it takes me 8 or 9 weeks to get through the programme, that would be OK! I think I'll start with the 5lb kettlebell that came with the set, but if it seems easy (how likely is that?), I'll use my 5kg one. I was offered 4kg or 6kg to use at the class, but thought it was best to stick to the 4kg to start with. If I'm not stiff tomorrow (my legs are a little stiff now!) I might use the 6kg assuming I go to the class again.

Barbara

Way to go Barbara! I hope you enjoy the kettleworx programme -it is great fun and effective too. You'll probably find the 5lb bell a bit light and soon move to 4 or 5kg.

Happy birthday in advance!

good luck with kettleworx, iv seen the workouts and had a go at the hips and bum workout and I last 16 minutes :eek: I can do 20 min workouts from youtube and circuits but that killed me! Im coming up to 9 weeks post baby so Im still getting back to normal working out, Iv not got the best knees so cardio isnt easy for me, just done 3 days of kettlebell 20mins a time and 1 workout of 30 day shred.
I use a 7.5kg kettlebell but iv been using my partners 5kg dumbells for weights for a week or so and the bell isnt as bad to use.
Good luck and hope you do better at kettleworx then me!

I also have dodgy knees! If I struggle during the cardio (or any other part of the programme) I shall do what I did during the class: do as much as I can in the time allotted (even if that's fewer reps than they say), and take extra greatness if necessary. After all, I am still obese and not that fit yet! But I do what I can, and keep on doing it, and gradually get fitter :)

Barbara

On another note, the backs and insides of my thighs are pretty sore - is that kettlebell swings, do you think?

Barbara

On another note, the backs and insides of my thighs are pretty sore - is that kettlebell swings, do you think?

Barbara

DOMS probably (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). It will ease off as you keep exercising regularly.
PS: I've got same as I'm just getting back into my routine after about 3 months off. I kinda like the feeling though -crazy but yeah, it tells me my muscles are back in play!

DOMS probably (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). It will ease off as you keep exercising regularly.

I have been exercising regularly - in the gym 3x a week for the last year, doing weights mostly. So - different muscles - or same muscles in a different way, perhaps?

Barbara

Did week 1 cardio this morning - tough, but I got through it, with a bit of leeway: a couple of the exercises I can't actually do so did a modified form, e.g. Did the pressups from the knees; and several others I couldn't do at the speed they were going, so I did fewer reps. But I got to the end using the 5lb kettlebell. I'm conscious of my legs, especially inner thighs, but otherwise feel OK. That's a good start, I think!

I had not long finished when my Mum came downstairs, so I went with her to walk the dog - 45 mins, but more of a stroll as she's a very little dog, who in any case stops every 20 yards for a sniff! I think that walk may have helped with avoiding soreness.... I can feel my legs when I sit or stand up, but otherwise I feel fine. So far, so good!

Oh, and I did the fitness test in the eBook first. I managed 2 pressups - and that's only if you allow me to count them, as I probably only lowered myself 3 or 4 inches! I normally do 'girl press ups', and can only manage 4 or 5 of those. I did 11 of the abs in-and-outs, and then realised I was supposed to do them with my hands on the floor, not just balancing on my bum as I had done. So then I tried to do them the right way, and only managed 8, but of course I had already tired my abs by doing a harder version of the exercise!

Barbara

Barbara you should give yourself a pat on the back! By almost everyone's account who's done the Kettleworx programme, Wk 1 Cardio is the toughest of the lot! And -I confess -I still do 'girlie' push-ups myself! I have had to pause the DVD but I aim to be able to go all the way by the end of this 6-week round :)

Maybe just half a pat, as I did have a short break between sets - enough to go into the next room, pick up my gym towel and wipe the sweat from my brow....

Which next, do you think - core or resistance? I will Kettleworx Thursday and Saturday, gym on Friday and rest on Sunday. Which Kettleworx workout would I be more likely to appreciate a rest day after?

Barbara

Maybe just half a pat...
Barbara

Lol!

I appreciate a day off after kettleworx cardio. I tend to do Mon, Weds, Fri and it's Core, Cardio and Resistance. That way I start 'easy' with Core on Monday (lots of mat work so I get to lie down -!) still have the determination for Cardio on Weds and on Friday feel kinda supergirl-ish with Resistance (thinking what wonders I'm doing my biceps and how I'm killing my bingo wings -ehn?!)

In between days when I can I do Stationary Bike 30 minutes. This is my plan for the first quarter of the year then I hope to change it up.
Loving Kettkeworx though. Of all the home workouts I've tried I find that this is the best for interest and results. :)

Seeing as I've already done cardio, I'll do core tomorrow then (if that's the easiest), followed by some time in the gym on Friday, and resistance on Saturday, with a rest on Sunday, gym Monday, cardio week 2 next Tuesday.... then next Wenesday is my first skating lesson!

Barbara

Right, week 1 Core done. I could not do the ones where you lift your hips up in the air while your legs are already up, and then crunch the bell up to your feet - I just floundered around looking like a beached whale! Perhaps it will come in time. I did wonder if the DVD had got stuck at one point because he repeated the same two exercises about 3 times straight after one another...also got a bit concerned that 'Set 1' was going on an awfully long time and I would have to repeat it all again, so relieved to discover there is only set 1 on that workout.

I was conscious of my abs at the time and immediately afterwards, but feeling fine now. Still sticking with the 5lb KB for now, I may try it with the 5kg one at a later date.

Barbara

Sounds like you're making good progress! The hip pump and crunch is difficult at first, I really struggled with it, but persevere and one day it will all work. :) It is one of a few KW exercises that I think use muscles we don't usually use and so it takes a little while to build them up.

Your DVD is different to mine, in mine core is always 3 sets with a total running time (inc warmup and cooldown) of just over 25 min. Cardio and resistance both have two sets and the same total time as core. Maybe they have updated them or something?

The same exercises were repeated several times.... could have been three.... but there was nothing between them to say set 1, 2, 3 (as there was with the cardio one).

Still slightly conscious of abs, and can feel my bum.... errr.... glutes. But overall, not really sore, yay!

Gym tomorrow.

Barbara

Back