Kitchen gadgets - the best and worse

ladyfelsham

Back to SW again
Morning all

Thanks to Atkins getting more of us in the kitchen and actually cooking, we mention a few gadgets that we love - or that just sit in the kitchen collecting dust.

My best gadget

- the Spiralo - perfect for making courgette spaghetti, doesn't take up much space and is easy to clean

My worst gadget

- Nicer Dicer Plus - used once then put back in the box and in the cupboard - a sharp knife is quicker and easier!

Yes, I love my spiralo too. I dont use many other kitchen gadgets, easy enough to do things myself.

I quite fancy a slow cooker but I don't have much room so a casserole dish in the oven will do me ;)

Ooh I do use my blender now and then for cauliflower rice. Much easier than grating.

How do you use the blender? I love the cauli rice but hate the mess it makes!

I have to say I do also love my slow cooker - use it once a week. Chicken and cabbage casserole tomorrow, it's that sort of weather :)

Blender: plug it in, put cauli florets in the bowl bit, press button, tip cauli out again.

(I am not very technologically adept).

I have never in my life made a casserole or soup. Hoping to rectify that this winter.

Now that's instructions I can cope with :)

I love the slow cooker, it's so easy especially with chicken pieces. I don't even worry about browning them off first - just bung a bag of chicken pieces in, some stock and any veg and herbs you fancy, put it on low and leave for 6-8 hours.

I put some slow cooker recipes on the Recipe thread - ah it took a while but here you go :) http://www.minimins.com/atkins-recipes/49621-just-recipes-36.html#post2872272

I also love my slow cooker ESP in winter ....I do currys stews etc and I have also been known to put a whole chicken in there surrounded by loads of veggies.

actifry is excellent also not just for chips but also done stirfry but they are pretty pricey ....and as mentioned before take up tons of room. Have been toying with the idea of getting a potatoe peeling machine but not sure how big these come....I hate peeling potatoes ....not for me I need to add but for the men in my house :)

that spiralo looks good might go on amazon and have a nose :)

I may have to invest in a slow cooker I think especially for winter.
Love my Kenwood chef - use it for everything but hate cleaning it :(

I loved my slow cooker last year but sadly now I'm out of the house for almost 9 hours a day and not comfortable leaving it on that long unattended and most recipes seem to be 8 hours on low!
Ive got one of these Hand Food Prep Machine and the cutting blade makes perfect cauli rice without the mess of grating plus it all goes in the dishwasher. I've also ordered an egg boiler which I'm currently waiting on :D

For egg boiling, I use egg perfect. Got mine from Lakeland for £3.99 years ago but have seen them in the pound shop recently. It's a little plastic egg you just pop in with the other eggs in the pan and it changes color to let you know if it's soft, medium or firm. Always seems to work.

Love my princess egg boiler - it's rectangular rather than round (as most are) which is ideal for tucking into a corner in the kitchen. Really enjoying my soft boiled eggs:)

Dietkitty said:
I loved my slow cooker last year but sadly now I'm out of the house for almost 9 hours a day and not comfortable leaving it on that long unattended and most recipes seem to be 8 hours on low!
Ive got one of these Hand Food Prep Machine and the cutting blade makes perfect cauli rice without the mess of grating plus it all goes in the dishwasher. I've also ordered an egg boiler which I'm currently waiting on :D

Kitty, I leave my slow cooker on low 8-10 hours a day. Have done this for years and always been ok. Great to come home to after a long day at work.

Left strict instructions for the OH to switch it on a 1 o'clock today as he's not at work. Think he managed to do it at around quarter to 2 so not bad for him lol.

That's the one - very easy to clean really just have to swoosh it under the water to get any courgette bits out. Definitely useful if you like zoodles!

My house is full of gadget new nic name inspector gadget!

favorites are

1 my Actifry hubby moaned like hell when i got itbut even he is impressed i use it so much too reallyversatile
2 cuisinart soup maker made some lovely veggie soup yesterday, it cooks it and blends it no mess n it has a clean mode!
3 cuisinart processor, three size bowls in one machine, robust and professional quality
4 kenwood chef just always been the best mixer i have had
5 kenwood hand mixer, couldnt be the oopsie queen without it!
6 nicer dicer basic old one love playing with it
7 couldnt live without my garlic press
8 slow cooker

waste of money

1 the dry buddy, cumbersome, dries clothes out completely, creases, hard to hang clothes in and capacity rubbish!
2 vacuum sealer, good fun for about 5 minutes but total crap in reality
3 omelette maker, non stick for all of 5 minutes
4 panini maker,nice idea but can never find panini bread so useless!
5 bread maker, always tasted yeasty ugh
6 jamie oliver spice oil mixer thing with ball, never gets used!

I rather like my little work top halogen oven. It's great if there's only one dish, or if the ovens full and I need more cooking space.

Back