lake district

xKimmiex

Silver Member
If you go down to Newby Bridge you'll be able to take the boat and tour Lake Windemere.

Also ther is a zoo (which I don't know the name of), it's off a roundabout on the main road which takes you to Barrow-in-Furness.

There's also walking .... ;)

p.s - treat your mom and dad to afternoon tea at the Lakeside Hotel in Newby Bridge. I love this hotel I go to the Lakes every year and always stay there. It is right on Lake Windemere and you sit in the conservatory and watch the swans and ducks on the lake.

The Lakeside is next door to an Aquatic Centre AND it is where you go to catch the boat to go up and down Lake Windemere.

Hi,

There are lots of things to do in the Lakes apart from walking.

You could visit Beatrix Potters house , go to the Ruskin Museum in Coniston (I think the Bluebird (Donald Campbell's boat) is being restored there too), shopping in Bowness on Windermere, Keswick or Ambleside (great apple pie shop here), visit Grasmere where there is an old fashioned shop that sells gorgeous gingerbread or you could just drive around and admire and soak up the wonderful Cumbrian landscapes (wyenose & hardnott pass is beautiful if you are brave enough - very steep & winding)

Or like previously mentioned there are plenty of places where you can get on a boat and take a lake journey.

Hope you have a lovely time.

I'm also going to Coniston in late June but we will be walking:(

There is also a lovely little steam train that runs from Eskdale to Ravenglas. (if you like that sort of thing)

The Lake district is beautiful - went last summer on the motorbike. We stayed in Bowness, really pretty town on Lake Windermere.

We didn't do any walking at all - not our cup of tea! We just rode around checking out the beautiful countryside, stopping in little towns, country pubs (for non-alcoholic drinks of course) Ullswater is pretty, Grasmere is lovely, and Keswick. Everywhere really. We did do Wrynose and Hardknott passes - please only attempt this if you are a very good driver and your car has a bit of power and amazing brakes! Very, very steep - one of the steepest roads in the UK and is all one lane wide. We did it on my OHs bike - and seriously if we had met anything coming the other way we'd have been over! Very scary! Once over though you keep going and get to the coast. On the main coast road back is Muncaster Castle and Gardens. Pick up a copy of the Rough Guide to the Lake District - loads of stuff to do in there!

Enjoy!!

Carol x

Ooh - and Aira Force waterfalls near Ullswater!

You could come and say hello to me!!!

Eden Hall is about 20minutes drive from here. Up here in the North Pennines there is the South Tynedale Railway and Nenthead Mines which are both great for kids and grandparents alike!

Nenthead Mines Heritage Centre, Mining Museum, near Alston, North Pennines, Cumbria
South Tynedale Railway, Alston, Cumbria.

And if you fancy a swim in a private pool
ST. JOHNSPOOL | HOME (thats me by the way!!)

Oh, and Eden Ostrich World is brilliant! Eden Ostrich World - Award Winning Attraction in Langwathby, Cumbria (thats about 10mins from your cottage...)
also Rheged in Penrith itself, just off the M6 roundabout heading towards Keswick.

The zoo that was mentioned earlier is about 2hrs drive in the South Lakes, (a nice one though :)) there is also one which may be closer Trotters World of Animals : animal park in the lake district, animals, keswick, attractions, attraction, uk

If I can think of any others later...... the weather up here is glorious this week so I'm off to make the most of it!! :D

Back