Lasagne - Hairy Bikers styleeee

stivesliz

Gold Member
Did anyone else see the hairy Bikers do a 'low calorie' lasagne on telly? Instead of using lasagne sheets they sliced a leak vertically, blanched the flat uncurled leaves and used them instead. They still put red wine in the bolognaise and made a white sauce with cornflour though lol.

Am going to try this tonight , but will use quark and egg yolks for my white sauce - it would be good to have this on an original day so fingers crossed it works x

Good luck, sadly I missed this episode, but have put the next ones on auto-record

Love the Hairy Bikers! Let us know how you get on :)

Anyone syned it yet? on one site they said that the cornflower, wine, normal meat used, not lean meat added up to a high syn value! I like the ideas though....

bilsat said:
Anyone syned it yet? on one site they said that the cornflower, wine, normal meat used, not lean meat added up to a high syn value! I like the ideas though....

If you search hairy bikers there is another thread about this and someone has worked out Syn values. Sorry cant post link as don't know how to do it on my phone but it's not too far down the list in the recipe section :)

The lasagne is not actually that bad if you make a few adjustments.

For instance use extra lean mince instead of lean, omit the wine and then you can do the cheese and milk as healthy extras. There is no need for flour and corn flour, I would just use cornflour for the white sauce.

I always make my own white sauce when cooking lasagne and can keep the syns low for a serving.

Have my version of this in oven now, a mix of extra lean mince and quorn mince and no red wine, then the yogurt and egg lasagna topping that i normally use on lasagne and 4 hea worth of cheese (mix of rf cheddar and parmesan)

So if divided into 4 it is free on red or extra easy + 1 hea per portion (or 6 syns)
Will report back if the leek is really noticeably later

Hey derbynanny how did you get on? I really want to try this

I plan on making this using quorn mince and making the white sauce with just milk and sauce flour (which isn't high in syns)

Here is my SW version of the Hairy Bikers lasagne!..........

Pete’s Leek Lasagne

(Based on the Hairy Bikers “skinny beef lasagne”)

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 Knorr “rich beef” stockpot+ 300g hot water for stock
1tbsp tomato puree (s) (sff)
1 handful of dried oregano
2 onions, (s) (sff)
2 bay leaves
2 large leeks (s) (sff)
2 celery sticks, finely chopped (s) (sff)
2 carrots (s) (sff)
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced (sff)
1tbsp cornflower (3.5 syns/4=0.8syn per person)
150g button mushrooms, quartered (s) (sff)
180g reduced fat cheddar (4 Hea/4= 1Hea)
375 skimmed milk (1Hea)
400g tomatoes (s) (sff)
500g lean beef mince (ff)
Grated nutmeg
Salt & Pepper

Method

Slice the leeks halfway through, to the centre, cut the ends saving for later, cook for 5 mins or until they are soft, remove and chill, open out & dry on a kitchen towel, set aside.
Pre heat the oven at 200c.In a large pan cook the beef, any remaining leeks, chopped onion, garlic, carrot & celery. Cook for 10 mins, add mushrooms, and cook for 5 mins more. Add the beef stock, tomatoes, puree & oregano. Add 1 bay leaf. Season well with lots of pepper, Simmer for 20-30 mins, until the liquid has been cooked out, remove the bay leaf & disregard.
In a bowl mix the cornflower with 3tbsp of the milk, to a smooth paste. Cut 1 onion into quarters & place in a saucepan with a bay leaf, & bring to a simmer for 3 mins, remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 10 mins. Remove the onion & bay leaf, discard, reheat & add the remaining milk, cornflower & 1tbsp of the cheese, mix well and heat until thickened, season with the nutmeg, salt & pepper.
In an oven-proof dish add the mince mix to cover the base, add a layer of the leek “sheets” then repeat until the dish is full, finish with a leek layer, pour the white sauce over then add the cheese, cook at 200c for 30 mins until bubbling and the cheese has melted.
Leek Lasagne (Small).JPGLeek Lasagne-2 (Small).JPG

Back