Laser surgery v Contact Lenses

Maximus

Gold Member
I'm fed up of wearing specs! I hear good things about laser surgery, and others about contacts.

Putting aside the question of cost and risk of laser surgery (though I understand it is much cheaper than it was), is it suitable for everyone? - does it have to be done regularly, i.e. every few years?

Similarly, can contact lenses be bi-focal or vari-focal? - I have to have a eyetest soon so can find out more, but wanted to know the options.

By the way, this is not vanity - if it was I'd get a wig first!:p - seriously though, I hate eyeglassedsliding down the nose and especially in summer and hot temperatures and "digging in" the bridge of nose etc. - though that might just be me!

I heard that laser surgery is better for short-sightedness, and can't be done (possibly?) if you have an astigmatism. Also I heard that it's rarely permanent...but hopefully someone will come along and correct me (boom boom!) if I'm wrong :D xx

Being diabetic, I have regular checks/screenings. I was tested for several potential problems, but it turned out to be extreme myopia.

The problem with laser is (IMO) it's never as straight forward or as cheap as they make out! Different prescriptions require different types of laser which is where the cost comes in, I think... I work with an ex-laser consultant type guy, and I clearly pay no where near enough attention!

Big thumbs up for the contacts though! They come in both bifocal and varifocal :)

I help do diabetic retinal screenings at work :) x x

I have considered Laser surgery recently. A colleague of mine that I had known for over 20 yrs to always wear specs had it done and she was bowled over by it, absolutely fantastic.

I am a true coward though and just don't think I could do it, so last time I went for my eye test I asked about contact lens, and they got 3 different pairs in for me to try - I have varifocals - and they did say that varifocal lenses were much more successful now than they ever were before.

Sadly, altho they felt fine, there was no discomfort, none of the 3 gave me vision that was clear or I suppose safe!! I was so disappointed that I am trying to draw up the courage to pursue laser. It would be fantastic to throw away the specs!!

Do you have to go to one of the places that advertise it tho, or can you access it through your own optician do you know??

x

I originally went to a clinic (Optimax) back in 1994. Short sighted & astigmatism in right eye. They did all their test and advised me that their current laser could only sort out my short sight but a new laser was 'on order' that would do both.
I was impressed that they didn't try to 'sell' a double op for me.
They contacted me approx 6-8 months later when the new laser had arrived. I had the right eye done in April 95 and haven't had any problems since. There's a life-time 'warranty' with their work (obviously age-related problems won't be covered) but I haven't needed to visit again.
Technology has moved on in strides since 95 and instant results are now achievable (my surgery wasn't completely healed for up to 6 months although my sight was brilliant after the first couple of weeks).
Also, if you do a search on this thread you should find a very similar question only a couple of weeks ago and there's a few more posts on successful ops.

I've been toying with the idea of contacts for some time now but I don't know what the costs would be to try them out before I commit to having a proper set made ( or bunch of sets in the case of the disposable ones I suppose? )
I don't want to be spending £30+ for a months worth if I don't like them or get on with them..

I've been toying with the idea of contacts for some time now but I don't know what the costs would be to try them out before I commit to having a proper set made ( or bunch of sets in the case of the disposable ones I suppose? )
I don't want to be spending £30+ for a months worth if I don't like them or get on with them..

You should get a free trial. My local optician was more then happy to trial me monthly varifocal lenses after months of daily disposables.

I've worn contacts since 1986 - my first paycheque. :) I have specs but they are for at home only. :cool:

My daily disposables were causing me trouble so In trailed varifocals 2 months ago and they are brilliant.

I had my eyetest a couple of weeks ago and the chap really tried to get me to have contacts. He said I could have a trial but I have itchy enough eyes without putting anything in them. I asked about laser and he was really dismissive (well he wants to make money!) Said why would I want to have unnecessary surgery. The thought does scare me abit but to be without specs would be great.

I'm still unsure about surgery. I would like to have a trial with contacts. Not sure of how they work exactly. Actually i would like a combination of contacts & some days specs - especially my photochromic ones for sunlight:cool:

I would say defo give contacts a try, I have glasses and still do wear them but it's so nice to have the choice.
It wasn't vanity for mea either but simple things like going to the hairdressers (where you have to take your glasses off) are so difficult when you can't see what they're doing to your hair!

My optician offered a weeks free trail (i use daily disposables) and I now pay £15 per box which is a months supply if you you use them every day.

I think you would need a consultation for the laser eye surgery as being diabetic there are associated eye condidtions which can develop.
If you do decied to go for it though choose one of the companies that offers a lifetime gaurentee - ultralase and optimax both offer these.

Best of luck! :)

Thanks Clareel!

I'll try contacts as I like the option of both. Nothing to lose by trying, although not fancying another monthly direct debit:eek:

Anyone explain the pros and cons of daily disposable v monthly or permanant contacts?

Steve

you wouldn't need photochromatic glasses if you had contacts though, you could get some nice designer shades.. 8)

even with my reactalite lenses, I still need proper sunglasses in the car and look a right prat with the "shades" on behind my regular glasses..

I wonder if they do reactalight contact lenses?? they do coloured ones after all..

Thanks Clareel!

I'll try contacts as I like the option of both. Nothing to lose by trying, although not fancying another monthly direct debit:eek:

Anyone explain the pros and cons of daily disposable v monthly or permanant contacts?

Steve

The daily ones you just wear once and throw away. I don't wear them every day so these are perfect for me. They work out at slightly more expensive though if you do want to wear them every day.

The monthly ones you take out at night and put in a little pot of cleaning soloution, you wear that pair for a month and then change to a new pair.

:)

I've worn contacts for years & wouldn't be without them.

I did try the sleep in ones but they just weren't for me.

No I'm a little older & my eyes have changed I now have a reading contact in 1 eye & a distance contact in the other. It does work & absolutely brilliant. When my eyes worsen I'll have variable/bifical contacts.

With the dailies you don't need solutions as you put in a new set of contacts each day. I wear monthly contacts & sleep in them Mon-Fri & usually don't wear them at all on Sundays as I'm not going out & want to give my eyes a rest.

Yes, I do have photochromics but as Jack said, they don't work in the car. Fortunately I have prescription sunglasses - very dark and ideal for car/outdoors but too dark indoors lol.

I like the idea of disposable dailies. I bought two pair of designers a few years ago, Benetton and some other - don't know where they are - I just bought them as they were ridiculously priced (less than a tenner!)

Are there any lenses that can be left in?

Daily disposable contacts

Pros
healthiest type of contact lens (new lens each day)
good if you are an occassional wearer
no solutions/cases to worry about so good for travelling

Cons
expensive of you want to wear everyday
not as big a range of prescriptions available, but extending all the time (you can get bi/mutlifocal dailies)

Fortnightly/Monthly

Pros
good range of prescriptions available
newer materials that allow more oxygen to your eye
cheaper than dailies if wearing more often

Cons
need to clean everyday (we are talking less than a minute!)
can get infections if abused

If by permanent you mean ones you sleep in these are the type you are most likely to get an infection with, or if you mean lenses that you reuse continuosly for up to a year these are rarely used now unless need a custom made lens if really strong prescription

If I were you I would try the daily multifocal lenses first to see how you like them and if you think you would wear them more often once used to them you can ask to try a monthly lens instead.

PS an optician will rarely recommend laser surgery as they only see the bad ones after!

Many thanks for the info.

Of course I will discuss in greater detail with optician for best path to take, just wanted an idea.

Steve

I wear daily disposable contacts and they are very good. However I'm fed up with needing them and glasses so have booked a Laser consultation which is on Monday! Eek!!

Bit late here Steve but som added thoughts.

I am short sighted with a bad astignatism in both eyes so had some very fancy contact lenses that were supposed to sort this out. Well - yes they sort of did their job but drove me nutty as I could see them moving around and it made me feel sick all the time. Plus my vision was just not as good in lenses as specs.
Like you, it wasn't for vanity but I was a serious off-shore sailor and sailing in the rain in specs is a nightmare. And crusty salt spray does nothing for the vision!

Coljack - Regarding specs for sunshine. I discovered Polaroid prescription specs about 10 years ago and fell in love. They aren't as dark as the really serious prescription sunspecs but they work fantastically by cutting out all the glare. I got them for sailing in the med in the summer and I wear them for driving here in Spain. You can even keep them on going through long tunnels - don't ask me how they work but you can still see really well in shady places.
The only disadvantage is that they only come in single vision lenses so you can't have bi- or varifocal. Being a lady at the older end of the scale I have a second pair for reading in! LOL

Re- laser surgery. Astigmatisms do cause problems for this and yes as you get older you will need to wear reading specs as some time as they can't correct both problems at once with laser surgery.
Also do not believe the ads that say "my vision was corrected within a few hours". For some people it can still take weeks to get the full benefit - even with today's modern technology.

One of the frightening things that can happen is that you can actually lose your vision within the first 24 hours. This happened to a friend of mine who only had it done 12 months ago. Hence they always advise that you have someone with you for 48 hours.

Hope this has helped rather than confuse.

Last edited:
Back