Last stop resort! Please any help or advice?

HulaHoop-xx

hello guys, I'm completely new to this so sorry if I mess it up. Basically a little about me, I am a seventeen year old girl and I am weighing my heaviest at 15st 12lbs, which I am disgusted in baring in mind I'm only 5ft 6 this makes me obese. For the past 5-6months I have got into yo-yo dieting which is by no fault but my own. I loose half a stone, then end up putting it back on and maybe more. I haven't yet found something I can stick too, I feel I starve myself then after at night I end up pigging out and giving up which I know again is my own fault. I have no self confidence meaning there is no way I could join a gym at the size I am at the minute! Please give me any advice or help I am desperate. I have 8 weeks till Christmas and would like to get down to 13 stone by then if possible, then get down to 10 stone by say march? Any suggestions welcome, I am totally ready for this now. I will change my ways and begin a new healthier life!

Hey & welcome to minimins.

I think the key thing is to find a plan that is right for you.

I have tried pretty much everything but the only thing that seems to be working for me is Herbalife which includes some meal replacement shakes. Not for everyone but that's the beauty of it everyone is different.

Have you gone to any slimming classes like weight watchers or slimming world or are you always going it alone?

Dxxx

Hi mate!
Yeah I need to find something I can stick to, but preferably do it without having to pay for things to aid me as I am on a tight budget? I need to start tomorrow, that gives me eight weeks. I haven't tried any slimming class, I don't think for one minute I'd go. I would feel totally uncomfortable. Please help :( xx

Right so are you calorie counting then? If you can get an app called my fitness pal its great for adding up your daily calorie usage.

It also lets you choose your weight & tells you how many calories to eat.

I find that really helpful.

Dxxx

Yeah I have it. I'm a bit confused by it though, I get you have to enter your calories but what if say you don't know exactly how many calories is there in something? Is there a way you can find out on there. And do you believe I could get down to 13 stone by Xmas xx

You can search for whatever it is. Or scan the barcode I have been able to find out pretty much everything I have needed on there.

I mean it might be possible I don't know it would be 5lbs a week. Are you exercising, see I am a lazy sod so I need to actually start doin some exercise to boost my weight loss.

So how many calories is it saying you are allowed per day on my fitness pal??

I am showing 1200 calories & I manage to stick to that or come under most days.

Dxx

Hi mate!
Yeah I need to find something I can stick to, but preferably do it without having to pay for things to aid me as I am on a tight budget? I need to start tomorrow, that gives me eight weeks. I haven't tried any slimming class, I don't think for one minute I'd go. I would feel totally uncomfortable. Please help :( xx

Why be uncomfortable after all everyone is there for the same reason. I do slimming world and its amazing how much you can eat and still lose weight. Hardly any weighing and measuring involved. Eat as much pasta, rice, noodles, potatoes, lean meat, fish, pulses, grains, lentils and fat free dairy as you need to satisfy your appetite, just aim for one third of each meal being fruit and/or veg. You get a measured portion of milk or cheese each day for calcium and one of cereal/bread etc for fibre. Then what we call syns for those little treats like chocolate, biscuits, crisps or whatever takes your fancy. I'm never hungry and if anything I eat more no than before I joined.

I think you need to do your research and find the plan that fits best with your lifestyle though. Will you be happy weighing or counting everything you eat? Then perhaps calorie counting is not the best option, I know it wouldn't suit me but everyone is different x

I know but I just don't think I'd have the confidence, not yet anyway:-/ and yeah I really seem to struggle with all this calorie counting. I was going to try lighter life? But way to much for my budget. I was thinking of going to a doctor and maybe be prescribed orlistat? Xx

Even with orlistat you are still going to have to change your eating habits. Depending where you live and your bmi some GP practices can refer you to local slimming programme, it could be SW, WW or something else. That might be worth asking about. But really you are just going to have to research the available plans, think about how they will fit ith your lifestyle and then just bite the bullet and go for it. Lots of people worry about going to a group to start with but its not as bad as you imagine. Give the consultant a call and have a chat, tell her how worried you are going along. It will be something she has heard loads of times before. We build it up in our to being something much worse than it is in reality. You don't even need to speak at all if you don't want to, you can just sit and listen :)

Do any of the slimming groups cater to under 18s though? I'm very hesitant to offer advice to anyone of that age, as I don't know what the requirements are for teenagers - I have the same problem advising my own daughter.

If I were you, hon, I would definitely go to your doctor and ask their advice. I don't even know if they would prescribe Orlistat for someone so young, but I'm sure they'll discuss options with you. But please, please give up any idea of getting down to 13 stone by Christmas, I'm sure you can't do that safely at your age. Aim to lose 1-2lbs a week, so maybe a stone by Christmas? Please don't make yourself ill honey, I've been there and done that when I was much younger, please get proper advice for your age group. :) xx

Hello Ive just come across your postings.
I would recommend slimming world. I did the Cambridge diet (slightly cheaper version of lighter life) and although I lost a few stone I put it and much more back on once I stopped!
Slimming world is amazing, no one need know youre on a diet as you can still do normal things.
You should go to your doctors, they may give you a free pass to join for 6 or 12 weeks, I know some people at my group have been given them. But with that you would have to go to group. Group is really good and very supportive, there are people of all ages at mine. If you really cant face going to group you can join online but youd have to pay

Emma3334 said:
Hello Ive just come across your postings.
I would recommend slimming world. I did the Cambridge diet (slightly cheaper version of lighter life) and although I lost a few stone I put it and much more back on once I stopped!
Slimming world is amazing, no one need know youre on a diet as you can still do normal things.
You should go to your doctors, they may give you a free pass to join for 6 or 12 weeks, I know some people at my group have been given them. But with that you would have to go to group. Group is really good and very supportive, there are people of all ages at mine. If you really cant face going to group you can join online but youd have to pay

Can under 18s join Slimming World? :) xx

Last edited:
You can do thay goal by eating healthy not a specific diet. Also need to cycle 15/20 minutes round where you live 3 times a week. Thats exactly how i lost my bulk at 40 yrs old , your youth is a fantastic plus for you hun grab it now as each year on it can get harder. Xx

Thanks a lot! And yeah I tried cycling it just wasn't for me but I've looked into getting one for in doors? Or a treadmill? What you think? Xx

Can under 18s join Slimming World? :) xx

Yes, definitely. There is a different plan for 11-15 year olds, then I think 16+ join the "regular" plan, possibly with reduced/student membership fees. Also definitely worth asking your GP for "Slimming World on Referral" as well. I run the pay table in my group and we get quite a few. It usually buys you 12 weeks of membership - enough to make a big difference.

Thanks a lot! And yeah I tried cycling it just wasn't for me but I've looked into getting one for in doors? Or a treadmill? What you think? Xx
There was a lady on here a year ago did exactly that and lost a lot of weight. All exercise is good exercise. Don't be like me and hang your clothes on it thou :)

Back