Lauren's journey to saving herself..

laurenmay

Gold Member
Even though I've literally been ALL over the minimins boards and a lot of you already know me and the story that accompanies -- some don't, and I want to properly introduce myself before I start writing a diary...

The name's Lauren obviously, I'm due to turn 22 in just over two weeks time, and I'm OBESE! I'm a mother to a gorgeous 1 year old little boy, who is an absolute terror, and work full time at Ford Motor Company...

In the past I've always been relatively slim, fluctuating between 9.7 stone to 10.7 stone and a size 8-10.. I'm not naturally small built, I don't have fabulous skinny genes like some people do, and my parents and sister have always had to watch what they eat in order to stay slim as well as I have.

When I had my son back in July 2011, I gained 5 stone during the pregnancy going from 9.7 stone to 14.7 stone.. But within four months of his birth I managed to lose all the weight and drop down to 9.10 stone through vigorous exercise and a low calorie diet. This I maintained for a little while, but then Christmas came, and went, and when it went it seemed to take all my determination and willpower with it..

It seems I've been on a constant binge since December, eating anything & everything in massive quantities, ditching gym workouts to sleep instead and basically just been plain lazy. And due to my behaviour I've gained nearly 5 stone, now weighing about 14.8 stone and fitting in size 16-18 clothes.

I've never been so miserable, depressed, ashamed of myself and just unhappy. I hate going outside of the house for fear of people seeing me and how big I've become, I hate going to work because my work uniform pinches and reveals every roll of fat and every bulge -- in fact I went back to work this morning after a 3 week break, and my size 14 work trousers no longer fitted and I ripped them while trying to force them on, so I've had to go out and purchase a size 18 pair instead.. I hide away in pyjamas in the house and refuse to let my OH give me a cuddle most of the time for fear of him feeling the rolls on my back and stomach that have never been there before.

To go from wearing a size 8 to a size 18 in seven months is highly depressing, and I think I'm still in denial really about how drastically I've gained weight.

I've tried many diets since January, but in all fairness I haven't really "tried".. I've promised I'll start a diet, gave up after 2 or 3 days, found another new diet I want to try, had a one last binge night before starting, then the cycle repeats itself over and over again & it's been the same pattern for now seven to eight months..

I've tried Cambridge, slim and save, WW, SW, JUDDD and calorie counting.. Admittedly I'd love to have the strength to follow a plan like Cambridge, lose the weight as quick as possible and then follow the steps to refeed and maintain -- but it's too expensive for me to follow for long, and I can't justify paying £40+ a week on meal replacement products when I'm already paying £60+ a week on food shopping for myself, OH and my LO.

So that's why I've finally decided that I'll be calorie counting my way to goal, following a plan of 1200 calories a day, using MFP to track my food and exercise and working out at the gym at least 3 times a week. When I can't hit the gym I've promised myself I'll do my 30 day shred DVD or take the LO out for a long walk, as long as I'm doing SOMETHING.

I know this weight won't magically disappear overnight, and there's no quick fix miracle treatment to melt the fat away. I know it's gonna be tough, hard work and take a LOT of strength and determination.. But after now tackling my issues with food mentally, getting into the right mind set and having the little shocks that upset me, like having to buy bigger clothes as I did today -- I'm finally ready.

So here's to a happier and healthier me, and a positive future. No more excuses, looking back and dwelling on the past or giving up -- it's now or never!

Hi Lauren, Well done on taking a big step to get into a better eating pattern, it's the hardest thing ever to do 'cos we all like eating don't we?!
I guess the majority of us on here are having the same sort of battle one way or another and support is so important. You know that we are all here for you and wish you all the very best in your continuing journey to slimdom.
You know very well that you CAN do it..but... do give yourself more time to get into a routine. After looking at your profile and threads it does appear that you hop and skip in and out of regimes so quickly that it is hardly surprising that you feel exasperated with yourself. In my experience it is better to stick to one diary..say in the Members group, which is not definable by what regime you are following, and continue to post in that so you are getting a running record of all your trials and tribulations and more importantly..those exciting times when things do go right and you can moniter your progress much better.
Just a thought..and sorry if it sounds like a lecture..:D

p.s. How about adding a Ticker as well?

Onwards and Downwards!! .. :girlpower:

Last edited:
Hi Lauren,
I've been on MiniMins since around April and I've seen most (if not all) of your posts. I just wanted to say I'm really rooting for you. I so want you to do this.
My little girl is 2 and a half and I spent 2 years after she was born stopping and starting a new diet every Monday. A few days in (sometimes just a day) I'd find myself convincing the OH we should have a takeaway for tea and I was fine the way I was (yeah right!).
I'd sit and cry about my weight and what I'd let myself become, then I'd turn to food for comfort...makes sense doesn't it?!
Like you've said yourself the most important thing is your head being in the right place, I was desperate to lose weight but just couldn't. No matter how much I wanted it or how upset my weight made me, I couldn't stick to anything
I don't know what's different this time but I woke up on the 20th march and thought, right, no more, diet time and I knew I'd stick to it. I felt so positive and like I wanted to do it, not that I had to. If that makes sense?
So far I've lost 44lbs of the 60lbs I'd like to lose and I'm still in the zone.
Sorry for rambling I just wanted you to know that I completely understand what you are going through and I know you can do it.
So prove me right :) x

Emmaline said:
Hi Lauren, Well done on taking a big step to get into a better eating pattern, it's the hardest thing ever to do 'cos we all like eating don't we?!
I guess the majority of us on here are having the same sort of battle one way or another and support is so important. You know that we are all here for you and wish you all the very best in your continuing journey to slimdom.
You know very well that you CAN do it..but... do give yourself more time to get into a routine. After looking at your profile and threads it does appear that you hop and skip in and out of regimes so quickly that it is hardly surprising that you feel exasperated with yourself. In my experience it is better to stick to one diary..say in the Members group, which is not definable by what regime you are following, and continue to post in that so you are getting a running record of all your trials and tribulations and more importantly..those exciting times when things do go right and you can moniter your progress much better.
Just a thought..and sorry if it sounds like a lecture..:D

p.s. How about adding a Ticker as well?

Onwards and Downwards!! .. :girlpower:

Hello :) thanks so much, it's nice to hear that even with my battles with dieting over the past seven months that there are still people willing to support me. I'll have a look at adding a ticker when I get on my laptop! Lol girl power :-D

LauraLooLa said:
Hi Lauren,
I've been on MiniMins since around April and I've seen most (if not all) of your posts. I just wanted to say I'm really rooting for you. I so want you to do this.
My little girl is 2 and a half and I spent 2 years after she was born stopping and starting a new diet every Monday. A few days in (sometimes just a day) I'd find myself convincing the OH we should have a takeaway for tea and I was fine the way I was (yeah right!).
I'd sit and cry about my weight and what I'd let myself become, then I'd turn to food for comfort...makes sense doesn't it?!
Like you've said yourself the most important thing is your head being in the right place, I was desperate to lose weight but just couldn't. No matter how much I wanted it or how upset my weight made me, I couldn't stick to anything
I don't know what's different this time but I woke up on the 20th march and thought, right, no more, diet time and I knew I'd stick to it. I felt so positive and like I wanted to do it, not that I had to. If that makes sense?
So far I've lost 44lbs of the 60lbs I'd like to lose and I'm still in the zone.
Sorry for rambling I just wanted you to know that I completely understand what you are going through and I know you can do it.
So prove me right :) x

Hi Laura :) thank you! It means a lot to hear that you're rooting for me and have always followed my diaries, rants and rambles! That's exactly how I've been -- getting down about my size and weight, then turning to food for comfort.. it's a vicious circle!
Yeah that does make sense, there's a huge line between wanting to diet & exercise and feeling like its a chore, and for a long time it's just felt like a chore..
Well done on losing that much weight in such a short space of time!! I just hope & pray that my head really is in the right place this time and I can stick to it and lose this weight as quickly as I gained it.
Thank you again & I'll do my best to prove you right! :) x

DAY ONE -- Jumped on the scales this morning, and my starting weight is 14.9 stone, so 205lbs. I prefer stating it in the pounds format -- cause knowing I'm over 200lbs is what shocks me into kicking myself up the arse and losing this weight!

Just got back from the gym, and used my new polar FT7 heart rate monitor watch that I ordered last week.. to my surprise I burned 607 calories in the hour I was there :) but it does show that 2 minutes of my workout was fat burning cardio, and the other 58 minutes was fitness cardio -- so I need to try and do some more interval and HIT cardio in order to boost that fat burn number up!

image-4220291965.jpg

Just had a 58 calorie pro-biotic strawberry drink, and now time for a bath and some reading. Funnily enough I'm not feeling all that hungry just yet so will eat something when my tummy starts rumbling!

Shall update later this evening :)

laurenmay said:
Hi Laura :) thank you! It means a lot to hear that you're rooting for me and have always followed my diaries, rants and rambles! That's exactly how I've been -- getting down about my size and weight, then turning to food for comfort.. it's a vicious circle!
Yeah that does make sense, there's a huge line between wanting to diet & exercise and feeling like its a chore, and for a long time it's just felt like a chore..
Well done on losing that much weight in such a short space of time!! I just hope & pray that my head really is in the right place this time and I can stick to it and lose this weight as quickly as I gained it.
Thank you again & I'll do my best to prove you right! :) x

My pleasure hun. Sounds like you are off to a great start :) My starting weight was 210 so I set my first goal as getting out of the 200's, felt a million times better knowing I was in the 100's. Hope you have a great day x

Hello

I can kind of relate to your story, I used to fit into size 6 clothes but over the past two and a bit months my weight has gone up because of not calorie counting and not exercising and now I cant fit into ANY of my clothes and I feel really down about it. I don't want to be a size 6 anymore because I feel that I was too thin then and I didn't feel very healthy at that time but not being able to fit into my old clothes or into a size 10 anymore after I worked really hard to go from 11 st 8 pounds to 8 and a half stone makes me feel really rubbish.

I have decided like yourself that enough is enough, I know that if I continue to eat the way I am I will go back to being 11 st 8 pounds and all that hard work would have been for nothing.

I hope that knowing other people are in similar situations to you helps you. Good luck with your weight loss journey and I will be following your diary :) I joined today and will be posting mine up with photos and recipes of low calorie dishes as often as I can, maybe some of them will interest you? xx

Hi Lauren,
It really sounds like you're in the right frame of mind so I have absolute faith in you. I only started today and already feel like I've failed but I'm determined to keep going. Add me on mfp, it's charliedelta32 and we can all encourage each other x

Sorry to anyone I haven't replied too.. I haven't really been on minimins much the last few days as I've been trying to do a bit of self evaluation, or whatever it's called....

For so long now the most important thing to me has been losing weight, but losing it QUICKLY. I've just about tried every faddy diet out there and been a yoyo dieter since the age of about 15 onwards. You'd think I'd learn from previous experience that these diets don't do anything for me in the long term bar bring me back to square one time & time again!

This may sound extremely corny, but I've finally found myself and discovered what it is I want and what I want my goals to be. I've totally let go of the want to crash diet, consume the bare minimum of calories or follow VLCD's and meal replacement diets in order to shed the stones as fast as possible.. I've been there, done that a number of times and after all that deprivation, hard work and time & money wasted -- I'm back to square one, but now the heaviest I've EVER been.

My ultimate goal is to lose about 82lbs. I'm currently 208lbs and only 5ft 3, and my goal weight is 126lbs which is perfect for my short frame, and a weight I've been at before and felt happy and comfortable... Only difference this time is I actually WANT to do it the healthy way. I'm more than happy to take a year out of my life, or however long it may take, to lose weight gradually and steadily -- because ultimately, it's sustainable, and I'll have years and years of happiness at being slim, fit and healthy once I'm there!

I've been researching a lot into BMR, TDEE and daily caloric needs in order to lose weight slowly and steadily, and the average number for me seems to be 1300 calories a day with light exercise 1-3 times a week.

I also worked out that if I manage to lose the recommended 2lbs per week, then I'll be at goal weight by June next year -- which means I'll be slim for next summer!

I'm gonna compile a list of small goals I want to achieve along the road to my ultimate goal, and will be tracking every morsel of food I eat and making sure most of what passes my mouth is clean, natural whole foods. I've also decided I want to get at LEAST 3 workouts in a week, on weekdays I'm at work till 4pm so will do a 30DS workout as I have my 1 year old to look after too.. Then weekends I'll hit the gym for a more intense session.

I'm happy, finally happy and content that I know what I'm doing and that more importantly I want to do it this way! Here's to a new lifestyle and a new me :)

All sounds good Lauren- hope you have had a good day so far. I am just gearing up for Step&Tone followed by Body Pump in an attempt to cancel out the few too many almonds I have scoffed today.

Haven't been tracking my food at all recently, and I admit I have been scoffing naughties quite a lot too...

First week back at work after a 3 week break is done & dusted, and now that my body's adjusting to being back in a routine and my sleeping pattern is back to normal top I think I can finally get some control with the diet side of things!

Starting back at the gym tomorrow morning, promising myself I'll go at least 3 times a week to ease myself back in.. Went for a walk this evening with the hubby & LO and that killed me enough so god help me at the gym! Scary to think that 7 months ago I was fit as a fiddle & wouldn't miss a day at the gym or I'd feel too guilty!

Will start a food journal from tomorrow too, both on here, on MFP and a written one for my own benefit -- kinda helps me to see it written down on paper properly.

Picturing the small size 8 me that I was back in November and determined to be there again & more importantly STAY THERE! I miss being a gym bunny too, I was so fit and fairly toned & could spend upto 2 hours at the gym but now I can barely manage 30 minutes! Hopefully my endurance and stamina will increase with time...

Back