Leaving CD, How many carbs per meal to stay in ketosis?

onefatmama

Hi,

Reason I ask, I have a handful of shakes left and then planning on eating very low carb meals in conjuction with my script of Xenical.

I want to stay in keto, so what are the max number of carb gramms per meal to ensure this?

I know the shakes were something like 14 carbs each, but I think I'll find that it bit hard when eating real food.

Hope Iv made sense:)

Thanks

ofm xx

I think it is about 50 per day but not too sure. Have a look on the Atkins board they will be able to help. Good luck

Not sure about the carbs, there's 24.7g in my caramel bar and I know they are higher in carbs but I have one a day and stay in ketosis so I reckon it is around 50g per day!

Good luck with the xenical, make sure you don't eat anything fatty or believe me you will know about it!!! I tried it about 18 months ago, had a fatty meal (chilli) and it was horrible, tmi but orange fatty oil like stuff just leaking out, it was gross! Doesn't happen if you don't eat fatty stuff tho so don't be put off lol!

Good luck
xx

It depends on your CCLL. The CCLL is your individual critical carbohydrate losing level. So if your CCLL is 50, you know that eating over 50 net carbs will knock you out of ketosis.

The CCLL is very individual. The Magic 20 for Induction was picked because that was the point when most people would be in ketosis. But for some folks, they start showing signs of ketosis when they drop their carbs below 100 grams daily.

I would caution about waiting to find your CCLL until closer to goal. See, the CCLL is an important number because it also helps you to find the CCML--Critical Carbohydrate Maintaince Level or the number of carbs you have to stay below in order to not gain weight.

Your CCLL can change. If you are exercising more and have more muscle mass than when you first found the CCLL, it can possibly increase.
Remember too, that ketosis just means that you are producing ketone bodies, which means you are breaking down fat. It doesn't tell you if that fat is from the fat you have eaten or the fat on your thighs. There's a transcript of an old Atkins Center chat online. In it the Atkins Center nutritionist related a story of a woman who wasn't losing weight but was in ketosis---she was eating a stick of butter every night for dessert.
Also when you overeat your carbs the ketones already in your body don't vanish they keep circulating in your blood and are in your tissues waiting to be moved out and used as energy elsewhere or burned in that cell for energy too. So many folks mistakenly see the ketones in thier urine after they cheat and say wow I ate ______ and it didn't knock me out of ketosis so I can have some of that again when in fact by Dr Atkins definition of ketosis as the burning of fats for fuel it did! After your body finished burning off the carbs you ingested and storing the ones it couldn't burn as fats and glycogen you then switched back to fat burning with more fat to lose. Remember every human being not hooked up to an IV feeding line is in ketosis every night while they are sleeping as the carbs and sugars injested during dinner are long gone and the body turns to those fats to keep you alive until breakfast time.

Yep finding your CCLL is i a very individual number and it is now called ACE on the Atkins site so when you see those folk with an ACE of 35 or 70 that is their number of net carbs for losing. Exercise vigorously can give you a huge boost in the number of net carbs your body can handle and still lose weight. Mine will change by over 65 net carbs if I'm working out or not going to the gym and just treadmilling.

Good luck with your journey x

very interesting info there. how can you find out what your CCLL is though?

It depends on your CCLL. The CCLL is your individual critical carbohydrate losing level. So if your CCLL is 50, you know that eating over 50 net carbs will knock you out of ketosis.

The CCLL is very individual. The Magic 20 for Induction was picked because that was the point when most people would be in ketosis. But for some folks, they start showing signs of ketosis when they drop their carbs below 100 grams daily.

I would caution about waiting to find your CCLL until closer to goal. See, the CCLL is an important number because it also helps you to find the CCML--Critical Carbohydrate Maintaince Level or the number of carbs you have to stay below in order to not gain weight.

Your CCLL can change. If you are exercising more and have more muscle mass than when you first found the CCLL, it can possibly increase.
Remember too, that ketosis just means that you are producing ketone bodies, which means you are breaking down fat. It doesn't tell you if that fat is from the fat you have eaten or the fat on your thighs. There's a transcript of an old Atkins Center chat online. In it the Atkins Center nutritionist related a story of a woman who wasn't losing weight but was in ketosis---she was eating a stick of butter every night for dessert.
Also when you overeat your carbs the ketones already in your body don't vanish they keep circulating in your blood and are in your tissues waiting to be moved out and used as energy elsewhere or burned in that cell for energy too. So many folks mistakenly see the ketones in thier urine after they cheat and say wow I ate ______ and it didn't knock me out of ketosis so I can have some of that again when in fact by Dr Atkins definition of ketosis as the burning of fats for fuel it did! After your body finished burning off the carbs you ingested and storing the ones it couldn't burn as fats and glycogen you then switched back to fat burning with more fat to lose. Remember every human being not hooked up to an IV feeding line is in ketosis every night while they are sleeping as the carbs and sugars injested during dinner are long gone and the body turns to those fats to keep you alive until breakfast time.

Yep finding your CCLL is i a very individual number and it is now called ACE on the Atkins site so when you see those folk with an ACE of 35 or 70 that is their number of net carbs for losing. Exercise vigorously can give you a huge boost in the number of net carbs your body can handle and still lose weight. Mine will change by over 65 net carbs if I'm working out or not going to the gym and just treadmilling.

Good luck with your journey x

Thanks for all that info, but how do i calculate the ccll?

If you follow my previous link you'll be able to find out more.

Minimimi2091 - this was extremely interesting as I have never fully understood the whole ketosis thing. Thank you.

Just like to add my thanks. I'm sciencing my weight off so that was right up my street!!

Individual carbohydrate tolerance is just that - individual. If you are following a VLCD then the daily carbs average between 60 and 80 (80 if four daily packs are consumed).

This would be considered a high level of carb intake on, say, Atkins. This is because on Atkins daily calorie intake is not measured, only carb levels.
A VLCD limits both carbs and calories.

If limiting calories alone then I believe 800 calories or LESS each day will permit ketosis in the 'average' dieter. But it is difficult to obtain the required daily levels of basic nutrition on so few calories. This is why VLCDs are so well-loved - controlled carbohydrate levels, controlled calorie levels, AND optimum nutrition!

Most on Atkins would find 60 grammes of carbohydrate daily too high a level to ensure either weight loss or maintenance, but some may achieve either or both due to having a higher tolerance.

I would advise moving from VLCD-ing to Atkins Induction or any other low-carb approach and then slowly and gradually adding back carbs until a comfortable level of tolerance is reached. If you are gaining, cut back on carbs until you find a level that allows you to lose weight or maintain. This level will be unique to YOU.

Good luck!

Ooo very interesting thread! Thanks for info. :)

Old thread alert - but pretty interesting stuff just the same!

Really hope that the original poster didn't try doing low carb with Xenical though... :)

Low carb would have been fine - but Atkins involves eating fat. High fat, moderate protein, low carb!

Dukan is low fat, low carb but I don't think it is at all healthy. Nor did the French nutritionist Dukan sued for having suggested that Dukan is not healthy. The nutrionist won - and Dukan himself had to pay damages and court costs.

Back