• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more



Leftover rice - what can i do?

#2
You can mix with it beans(kidney), chunky salad vegies touch of garlic or as i should say you really shouldnt eat cold rice as a mold can grow which will make you very poorly. Even if you fridged it and even heating up doesnt work to kill it... sating this i eat cold rice and havent gotten sick yet *fingers crossed* but apparently quite nasty
 
#3
add a few of the following-

tuna, sweetcorn, spring onions,

diced chicken/ham, peppers a little soy

or chicken a few sultanas, turmeric & curry powder

a chopped onion, carrot & chicken stock cube for a chicken rice soup

turmeric, tuna, boiled egg for a quick kedgeree

xx
 
#4
PurpleSky said:
You can mix with it beans(kidney), chunky salad vegies touch of garlic or as i should say you really shouldnt eat cold rice as a mold can grow which will make you very poorly. Even if you fridged it and even heating up doesnt work to kill it... sating this i eat cold rice and havent gotten sick yet *fingers crossed* but apparently quite nasty
Ewwwwww is that true?? how rude the recipe for fried egg rice says leave it over night damn rice people x
 
#6
leftover rice is fine to be reheated/used so long as it has been cooled and then refrigerated pretty quickly. It is when it sits at room temperature for a long period of time that bacteria can form which causes food poisoning.

the below is from the eatwell.gov.uk website

I've heard that reheating rice can cause food poisoning. Is this true?

It's true that you could get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. But it's not actually the reheating that's the problem – it's the way the rice has been stored before reheating.

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, bacteria that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive. Then, if the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will germinate into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea. Reheating the rice won't get rid of these toxins.

So, the longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that bacteria, or the toxins they produce, could stop the rice being safe to eat.

It's best to serve rice when it has just been cooked. If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour) and keep it in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating.

Remember that when you reheat any food, you should always check that it's steaming hot all the way through, and avoid reheating more than once.
 
#7
I will find the the info for yas

Right ok a little more complicated then that it seems the bateria sorry grow when its left at room temperatures and reheating will not kill it off. I think if you have cold rice make sure it goes fridge wise or freezer straight away. I;ve never had a problem with it ever soooo who knows but apparently it is true
 
#9
mix with some mashed potato, garlic, curry powder and roll into balls. bake in oven. very tasty.

also nice is 2 hard boiled eggs, some processed peas and a bit curry powder mixed in.
 
#10
Ooohhh rice balls. They sound really good. Don't think i've got time to do them for work but will definately try them another day.

Think i might try mixing it with a cup a soup with a nice wholemeal roll.

Will make sure i keep the rice refridgerated and reheat it properly!!

Thanks for the ideas.

xx
 

Christiana

Mens sana in corpore sano
#11
I toss my leftover rice in a wok with frylight, chopped onions, mushrooms, mixed veggies, a little chilli powder and some stock for taste (you can use veggie/beef/chicken, all delicious).
 
#12
I am a complete rice freak. As for the room temp thing, don't worry about it too much. I ALWAYS leave mine at room temp. I had a chinese boyfriend and that's what he always did. Trick is to keep the lid on the rice cooker off a bit. We left it on once and the moisture helped the mold to grow! Lol. I'm not the poster child for rice safety.

I do all kinds of stuff with it. I mix it with veg and eat it with salt and pepper. Its also gorgeous with diced chix, broc and some lc garlic n herb triangles. Or mix with cooked lentils and caramelized onions. Have a recipe if u want it. Adapted it to SW.

If u ever have savory rice leftover, I actually beat an egg and mix iit into the rice. Then drop into a pan with a ladle to make little pancakes and fry in frylite. Serve with a splash of soy sauce and stir fried veg.

Mmmm rice!............
 
#13
I often use some leftover rice with my hexa milk and some sweetener to make a rice pud. Just stick it all in an oven proof dish and put in the oven on low until hot and a skin has formed. Serve with a splodge of synned jam!
 
#16
I completed my food hygiene lately for work and it was advised that the rice is cooled quickly using cold water and then drained and put in the fridge. It's amazing how many of us just leave it to cool and then bung it in the fridge. I have made rice since doing the training and just did my usual and left it to cool. It hasn't killed me...... yet lol
 


Similar threads