• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Lentil dahl - recipe pleeease!

Lindam

Silver Member
Hi Sarah

I made the Lentil Dahl today so maybe I can give you some better directions:

I mug red split lentils - to 3 mugs water with a pinch or two of salt and a half teaspoon of turmeric - cook until soft (most of teh water shoudl be absorbed, if it looks like its too runny drain some out - or too dry add some more water) leave to one side.

Slice an onion fry until soft and add one fat green chillie, a clove of garlic and grate a chunk (about a thumb size) piece of ginger as you add x 2 tins of chopped tomotoes plus a half can of water. Now warm though adding a teaspoon of medium curry powder and a teaspoon of garam masala - taste the sauce, add more curry powder, garlic if you want more - when happy with the taste add teh lentils and mix thoroughly. This will make loads! I had a bowl for lunch today, then more for tea and I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

sonban

Addicted to Minimins
Hi Sarah

I made the Lentil Dahl today so maybe I can give you some better directions:

I mug red split lentils - to 3 mugs water with a pinch or two of salt and a half teaspoon of turmeric - cook until soft (most of teh water shoudl be absorbed, if it looks like its too runny drain some out - or too dry add some more water) leave to one side.

Slice an onion fry until soft and add one fat green chillie, a clove of garlic and grate a chunk (about a thumb size) piece of ginger as you add x 2 tins of chopped tomotoes plus a half can of water. Now warm though adding a teaspoon of medium curry powder and a teaspoon of garam masala - taste the sauce, add more curry powder, garlic if you want more - when happy with the taste add teh lentils and mix thoroughly. This will make loads! I had a bowl for lunch today, then more for tea and I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
Ohh sounds lovely think i will make some later xx

Lindam

Silver Member
the test will be when one of my lovely work colleagues who is asian tries it out at luchtime and she compares it to her mums!!

sarah5

oh yummy yum yum THANKS Lindam for that! feel much more confident making it now, thank you! x

Lindam

Silver Member
and the official verdict by one who should know about these things? 'it tastes soooo gooood!' exact wording on email sent to me!

Lindam

Silver Member
let me know how you get on - you can use the basic tomatoe base - and add chick peas instead (mash a few up so the sauce goes thicker). Or if on a red day put in chicken or prawns.... or totally free just use up some leftover veggies

I've just written down all the ingredients for my food shop today, finally getting round to making it!

I *think* this looks free on a green day, am I right? I'll have it with some brown rice - mmmmm am salivating haha!

Thanks xx

Who posted a recipe for lentil dahl using the Asda tinned lentil dahl with added bits to it?

mod-karen79

rainbows holiday buddy :)
don't know if it was me, but i have previously suggested getting a tin if lentil dahl and adding a bit of water to it to thin the sauce out a little, then add some quorn pieces and perhaps some spinach.

i had a tin of chickpea dahl last night with some noodles - it goes really well together...and i'm not really a fan of rice.