Life begins...?

Headache

Just wondered about the phrase "Life begins at 40." I am 40 in May (how on earth did THAT happen?) and decided to do JUDDD to make sure that by that time I won't be "Fat and forty." Friends are already asking what I am planning to do for it - weekend away or a party, that type of thing and whatever I decide to do I want to make sure I'm looking fab not fat!

So what have your 40s brought for those of you who have hit your 30 tens? Did life get better or even worse?

Thanks H x

Life really did begin at 40 for me, had my beautiful son, William.

For me, life gets better as I get older! It's all good :D

Welcome to JUDDD!

P x

I'm not 40 just yet, another 3 years, but like you, i'm determined to be 40 and fabulous, not fat!! I reckon its what you make it though. If you get to your goal weight you'll be so much more confident, healthy, and probably happier! I'm not saying happiness is about being skinny, but if you're happier in your own skin, thats gonna shine through your everyday life, and make you go for the things you most want out of life!! Good luck...

Snap Pauline I had my yougest DD she was due a couple of days after my 40th but was born 2 weeks later x She was def not planned but she is a pressie that keeps giving and she keeps me feeling young. 40 is def no big deal these days, My plan was to have a girly day out with a nice lunch and plenty of Alchohol, instead I was sat in my lounge with my feet up watching my fave films and munching treats, wouldn't change it for the world though. Great goal though Headache x

I was 40 in November and since then I've left my husband, changed jobs and lost 3.5 stone! So a bit of a whirlwind! I'm planning on my 41st birthday being much happier, settled and relaxed - fingers crossed :)

Hm, I embraced turning 40. I had a massive 70s themed party and a live band. I have a new job, I love the fact that my babies, 15 and 19 no longer need me around all the time and although I would do anything for them - I have my life back and can be a little more selfish. Having lost my dad a year ago, which really knocked me for six, I realise life is too short, it really is and it for living.
helly birthday1.jpghelly birthday2.jpg Here are some pics of the kids, hubby and I to bore you xxxxx

I had my kids later in life so 40 (in 2 years) will be much of a muchness.

I'll be too skint and we have no friends or family to babysit so won't be able to go even for a night out with hubby. We did nothing for my DH's 40th 2 years ago.

So my biggie will be my 50th. Boys will be 17 and 15.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics and positive stories guys - just what I needed to hear.

I feel ready for a change in my life (who said mid life crisis?) and I think it's career where I would like go in a different route. I'm a secondary English teacher and although I do, in general, love my job after 14 years it's not giving me the same buzz it used to. I'm in my 3rd school now and have had various promotions. All very good but the thought of doing this or similar for the next 25 years is not attractive.

The weight loss is one aspect of change I can control so I think that's why I've begun with that - now to to figure what else to do to make my forties fab and not flat!

I was 40 in March, had a hysterectomy in April after years of problems unfortunately i gained 2 and a half stone whilst waiting for op :-(
I went back to work in July, my trousers barely fit. Its now September and they are hanging down.
So my life changing 40 was postponed a few months! :)

Back