Living under the same roof as someone who is on a 'Diet'

Hi all, just thought I would make a new thread as I can't seem to find much in the present. I was just wondering if anyone else has an in-law, sibling or housemate that well I guess, really isn't on the same page as you? I am currently staying with my boyfriends family as only in NZ for a 6 month visit and his step dad is driving me crazy. I started back on plan since New Year and am doing it from home, I am doing quite well considering things are much harder to come by over here and double the price than in Europe.

Anyways, my partners step dad is also trying to loose weight and has his own (ridiculous) plan of loosing weight. I am happy with what I eat and find food minus sauces and fat delicious, however everything I make he always has something to say like... "that looks f*ing disgusting" or "your not eating that?" when all the time he is eating take aways heaps of white bread and cheese and then telling me that i need to cut out the diet coke. i literally drink it every 3 or 4 days, cut me some slack. I don't go on at him but he sure goes on at me and its really getting me down. Is anyone in the same boat?

Im not in the same boat but at the end of the day you will be the one to lose weight, just take it with a pinch of salt and let him say those things, you know that your meals will taste good and if you are enjoying it then just brush his comments off and carry on or tell him to taste it and not eat with his eyes! ! Xx

I had never thought of it that way. Eating with his eyes. Thank you thats made me feel so much better :)

My husband and kids do it all the time lol, I made some bbq pulled beef the other day and it took my daughter trying it and saying it was nice for my husband to have a taste lol, it did look a bit dodgy but it was good lol xx

I don't have this issue as my mum was always on ww and my boyfriend eats what I make. But well done you for doing your own thing and sticking to this plan. Ignore the comments and think of how great it will be when you can say 'I'm at target now' to him while he eats his cheese and white bread.

also, I'm in oz on a year visa and I totally understand your pain in the price of things and the different food types. It's hard enough with that, stick with it Hun! Good luck

Ooh I'm getting cross on your behalf! That sounds infuriating. It annoys me enough when my mum says 'are you sure you should be having that?' if I eat fatfree yogurt and don't get me started on the diet coke thing!

I'm guessing his weightloss 'plan' isn't exactly working? Or if it is, he's not going to end up healthy.

Have you told him how his comments make you feel? He doesn't sound like the most sensitive bloke though so perhaps that would be hard...
Guess all you can do really when he makes those comments is say 'Well, it might not look great but I enjoy it and my weightloss is making me really happy!' Hard to say what would happen if you gave him a taste of his own medicine and said something like 'It took some getting used to, but now takeaways make me want to throw up with all the grease and white bread makes me horribly constipated'...maybe worth a try though!

What a horrible man!! So he can't do it so to make him feel better he is trying to put you off. I would have to say something to him. Options are 1) Put up with it, just ignore him and be smug in the fact that you are eating healthy and lossing weight. 2) Use the post above and say just cause you dont like the look of it doesn't mean it doesn't taste nice, would you like to try some? 3) When he is just about to tuck into a take away ' urgh look at all that grease, I couldn't eat that now it turns my stomach.' 4) F**k off!

Or maybe you could get your OH to have a word and tell him to lay off. Let us know how you get on.

Just laugh at him. He is trying to bully you and if you laugh at bullies they don't know what to do!! It really spoils their fun when you refuse to get upset and treat it all as a joke.

I stopped my mother-in-law from trying to bully me by pretending that every horrible thing she said was actually funny, and laughing at it. It worked!!

What I would also say is that I don't think you should allow him to swear at you. I know that I am old-fashioned and out of touch (I'll admit it before you remind me!!) but I have never in my life used the F word and if someone uses it when speaking to me I will tell them that I find it offensive.

Be smug in the knowledge that you'll be thinner (and healthier!) than him in no time, and what you're doing is sustainable xx

Back