LL's new pricing

roundrachel

Silver Member
Has anyone else been told about the new pricing strategy for LL? Our LLC told us last week that the counselling sessions are going to be priced separately and each flavour is going to be priced individually too. Bars will cost more than soups which will cost more than shakes. And apparently there will be tonnes more flavours and it's all going to begin in january.
Apparently it'll make it cheaper for some people and more expensive for others.
I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not and obvioulsy don't have all the details. Just wondered if anyone else had heard about it and if anyone understands it any better than me!
Also, RTM is changing to be shorter but our LLC is having her training this weekend and will tell us all about it next week. So much change, I'm not sure I can cope!!

My LLC told us about it on Thursday it is being trialed in Wales now, basically it is because of the VAT, they have to charge VAT on the food because it is included with the counselling, so they have separated it Counselling 15.00 per week, then food packs vary cheapest being shakes then soups, then bars, then chilli, Sheppards pie, porridge, so I guess if you are only on shakes it will be cheaper, we did some sums in group and if you only have bars and chilli/porridge your weekly cost will be approx 80, not so bad.
The down side is even for maintainers there will be a 15.oo per month charge to go and weigh where as at the moment it will be free - IMHO I think that is fine, as if i know i am paying for something I will make sure I attend, and also why should the counselors give their time for nothing? ....

Well, the counsellors don't give their time for nothing as their wages are included in the price of packs at the moment. I'm not sure that having to pay £15 to go back to be weighed as a maintainer is such a good idea and I would actually find it a deterrent...unless they include a counselling session in that too. Currently maintainers can just pop in for a weigh in and a chat. Why would you pay £15 to do exactly the same? Maybe £5 would be more reasonable.
I haven't got a full understanding of how it'll all work though so can't really judge it at the moment.
With WW, you can go back and be weighed for free if you stay at your goal weight so I don't see why they can't do the same for LL. Maybe I'm being cynical because obviously, if people struggle to maintain, they'll come back on the programme...and hence more money for LL.
I'm sure it'll all work out but I'm determined to keep my weight off this time and once I'm fully back onto food again, I wouldn't want to pay £15 just to pop in and see my LLC!

Off topic: I read the thread title as "LLS new piercing" and thought there would be a picture of someone's piercing (hey - it's been a long day!). I soon realised my mistake, but read your post anyway. Then I scrolled down and Oh. my. god. you look amazing!

Sorry to deviate - you can go back to pricing now... ;) x

Not certain what I think to the new changes you speak of, after all I joined and signed up to something rather different in that I was promised life long membership for my joining fee along with long term free weigh ins once at target, not sure its fair to change that for existing customers.

Hi all

I went to the info session today and was told about the new pricing. I'm not sure what will happen for those in maintenance but for us newbies (I'm in Wales by the way) there will be a £15 membership charge, £15 for the counselling session and the packs will be priced individually. I would have thought that as the £15 is for the counselling, if there's no counselling involved then there would be no charge - but that's just a guess. At the end I am sure LL will not be losing out at all.

I didn't know about this either. I'm disappointed to hear that maintenance will no longer be free. That's one of the key benefits in my view of the whole programme! They are a business of course, so I can see why they are introducing variable pricing and making the most popular/lowest margin packs more expensive, but it's going to be a tough sell for the counsellors.

Not sure I'll keep doing maintenance groups at £15 a month.

I don't think it would be fair to change the terms for existing members. Any info if this would apply to everyone or just to new joiners? I can't afford it now, if it went up in price I would really have to check other options.

I'd find it extremely unfair if LL changed the terms retroactively.
It's one thing to apply the new pricing to new members, but another to start charging existing ones, who were told they'd be lifetime memebers and would not be charged for weigh-ins and pop-ins after the programme.

I don't think it would be fair to change the terms for existing members. Any info if this would apply to everyone or just to new joiners? I can't afford it now, if it went up in price I would really have to check other options.

Yep my views too, I am already peeved that I paid £72 a week for first month and received no counselling what so ever, not been able to attend group since as worked so only done pop ins.

To be fair I think counselling in those first weeks is prob vital as no doubt some will of given up.

Additionally I think giving people the option to have or not have will mean a lot will not to save money which then means they will stand higher chance of failing IMHO.

Morning - I was a bit peeved too when I discovered that as a returning member I had to pay 'up front' to show my comittment, but after I came home and reflected on what had been said I can see their point in charging me ( and the management) The LLc are running a business with all the overhead, they have to pay premises, light, heat and they are being paid for their time. I shouldnt think that by the time they have done all that and then paid tax/vat there is very much left to be honest.
Returners are more likely to skip groups ( I have arranged my shifts so I can attend) and management clients are not to a set time how ever the LLC has to be there to weigh them and answer any questions. I quess it is just about paying for the service you are getting just like any buisness they can change their terms and conditions. When I get to management I would be happy to pay to be honest if it kept me on the straight and narrow :)

Not sure I like this at all and will be even less of a fan if they apply the new charges retroactively. Although I think it's good they're separating the packs and counselling (as some people cannot attend counselling every week due to shifts/commitments and so are losing money), pricing them individually seems overly complicated and also seems like it will discourage people from having variety just so they can be sure of their costs every week, which is one of the bonuses of LL.

Totally turned off by this, but I guess I'll hear more at WI tonight.

Like any business, they have a right to change their policy and procedure.

They will need to clarify if they are retroactice.

Legally, there is really no such thing as "for life" or a "lifetime membership."

If they charge a maintenance fee I would find it worth it if it kept me in check. I dont know at this stage if I would go - but if I needed to, and it kept the weight off it would be a small price to pay. Time will tell when I reach that point.

Our LLC has not said anything at all about any changes, so I do not knwo if its across the board, or down the the LLC.

I'm going to ask my LLC tomorrow and see what she says!! I don't think I'd mind at all, it's similar to how CD is I think, so if they get those flavours I'm over the moon!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haha!! And if i cant stay for a session one week for work or something, then i save £15! Not all bad! Xxxxxxx

I don't know about missing a meeting and not having to pay. Seems like that would defeat the purpose of having to attend meetings when collecting my packs. My LLC has a waiting list for my weigh in night and if we aren't attending out of choice (not out of town) or attending an alternate meeting if on shift work, then why should she hold our place in our meeting? I don't want LL to get like WW where people just show up to get weighed and then don't stay for the meeting.
I did WW and at first stayed for the meeting, but it was too easy to just leave after weighin and that was a slippery slope to going off plan.
Last week it worked out that about half our group left after weighin and the group session just wasn't the same at all. I think it would be a shame if the group aspect of the plan was eroded.

I don't know about missing a meeting and not having to pay. Seems like that would defeat the purpose of having to attend meetings when collecting my packs. My LLC has a waiting list for my weigh in night and if we aren't attending out of choice (not out of town) or attending an alternate meeting if on shift work, then why should she hold our place in our meeting? I don't want LL to get like WW where people just show up to get weighed and then don't stay for the meeting.
I did WW and at first stayed for the meeting, but it was too easy to just leave after weighin and that was a slippery slope to going off plan.
Last week it worked out that about half our group left after weighin and the group session just wasn't the same at all. I think it would be a shame if the group aspect of the plan was eroded.

Hi Bird,

I agree – it would be a real shame if this took on more the approach of WW or SW. SB and I were just talking about this the other day. I think that LL made a mistake when they started doing Lighter Life Lite, to be honest. No offense to anyone here who is doing LLL – I just feel it has diluted the strength and power of LL – what set LL above the rest for those with serious amounts of weight to lose. But now, how often do were here LL Total being discussed as if it were LLL – “going to eat this weekend” “ Going to eat for my birthday, then get back on”, etc. If you are doing LLT, you abstain. If you are going to eat – then it should be LLL. But the two are losing their separation. It’s just my opinion and I know some will disagree, but I think they have hurt their reputation. I think there have been more returners since the inception of LLL – which only fuels the “you will never keep it off” argument, but unfortunately for the other side – the nay-sayers. Not for us who commit, and know it can and does work.

Our group is very good, and everyone seems to stay almost all of the time. I too would be gutted if it turned in to churning people in and out just to weigh in – then go home and eat – and then come back and weigh only, etc. It can be a distraction to those taking the group work seriously, and you get so much more out of it if there are several participants. We learn from not only our own experiences, but those shared in group.

'I think there have been more returners since the inception of LLL'

But isn't Lighter Life just another business though, and relies on return customers, as does Weight Watchers, Slimming World etc.. the diet industry is a huge money maker.

I think we all have to weigh up what we need from the Lighter Life plans, and LLL is possibly just another way of kidding ourselves that we can 'cope' with eating a little food, whereas total abstinence is probably quicker and better, but maybe not so profitable for Lighter Life? Cynical me :)

How much is LLL out of interest?

I don't understand what their aim is. I will feel cheated if these changes affect exixting client. If they expect us to pay for the week we havent used the packs (because that is the contract we sign) then they have to keep their end of the bargain.
Many of us have chosen LL because of the package they offer. I have not even had any counselling session for the last 4 weeks that i have been. I am benefitting from the older clients who are on RTM and their stories are helping me. If they had to pay to come I am not sure they would. The counsellors benefit too from having RTM clients in the group.
I feel it is unfair to impose these changes retrospectively. If they do I will be asking them to refund £15 x 4 . No prices for what their ans will be for that !

:) Hello xx not been here for a few days been working silly shifts ! I understood from my LLC that you would have to pay the 15.00 even if you did not attend the meeting that is for returners and for new starters. I am going tomorrow to weigh first week back so I will ask the questions then x As far as I understood it is in Wales as a pilot and then it is going country wide in Jan 2012 x

I am benefitting from the older clients who are on RTM and their stories are helping me. If they had to pay to come I am not sure they would. The counsellors benefit too from having RTM clients in the group.
!

You shouldn't have RTMers mixed in with Abstainers. That's not how its meant to be. Why does your LLC do that?

Surely thats not good for either - it the RTMers want to talk about food and eating, etc., that is not fair for the abstainers...and its not fair if they are not allowed to talk about re-feeding, etc. .seems very odd to me. Ours would not do it that way.

ANd if you are not getting counseling - that is wrong too....she does not do exercises with the group at your meetings, either cognitive behaviour, or TA, etc., or anything like that? If not, what does she do?

Back