London Olympics

fillymum

synful soul
I feel so excited. What a good way to go into the New Year.

I applied to work as a volunteer at both games but prefer the Para Olympics if only that is available. My application went in about a year ago and I had almost forgotten it.

My preferences were Interpreter in the horse lines or as a driver again in the horse lines.

Yesterday I heard that I am still in the recruitment process i.e. am not one of the ones that has been rejected.

At my age it would definitely be a once in a lifetime experience.

I am really, really excited and have everything crossed !!!

The hardest bit will be raising the funds to do it as you have to be completely self funded. It will not be a problem long term as we have started putting a bit by this week and will do so every week until I go. Financially we will make it................please powers that be select me !!!!

I/we get free tickets as our company are a sponsor, and way, way back (or so it seems now) assisted with setting up the stadium and village electrics :p

My mate was up here (northeast) from London last week and casually slipped into the conversation that he applied for 100m men's final tickets only and was successful!

I'm looking forward to the games,but not so much as the 80s when we had some world-class athletes;)

Thanks Steve for replying to my very boring topic:D

Well I know a lot of people have little or no interest in it, but it is a massive event and I know a lot of people id a lot of work to get this off the ground.

Just look at England's failed World Cup bid to see how great this achievement was.

Fantastic news sue!

You must keep us updated on your progress. What a fantastic opportunity it sounds and would be amazing if you get accepted!

Wishing you all the luck in the world! x

Sue- you must dye your hair bright blue so we all recognise you on telly!!

How very exciting!! :D

Sue's already part of the "blue rinse" brigade Jez, didn't ya know?;)

Cheeky Sod, but as mumsie's favourite boy I suppose you will get away with your cheek as usual.

I will givve you a run for your money any day.

Anyway smart Alec, I have a delicate pink rinse on my white, white hair. My old grannies bun looks so pretty in pink.........:mad:

More akin to Mollie Sugden perhaps....

*runs away*

and well you might run and as fast as you can because be sure I will catch you..........run Gill, run, you are in big trouble.................

And her 'poor pussie'

Please leave my pussy out of this. There is nothing poor about my pussy:D

I've just found out that the security company I work/worked for have been asked to supply 100 SIA registered door supervisors for the Olympics-so I've put my name down!!! Wooop-figured it was too good an opportunity to pass up! x

How exciting Sue - I didn't know you could even do such things!!

I didn't apply for any tickets due the cost of the tickets and the cost of travel/hotels etc but I am very excited that the Olympics are coming to London - unlike some, I think it will be great for the country and hopefully bring a lot of money into it. I know Mr Lloyd Webber was saying that the musicals will not make any money during the olympics but surely bars, restaurants, shops etc will do? As well as hotels, guest houses, campsites......

Good luck Sue, it will be amazing if you get selected.

PS Maximum - I agree with the 80's athletes reference, I grew up watching athletics avidly during that time and loved it. Seb Coe, Steve Cram, Steve Ovette, Fatima, Tessa, Daley Thompson to name a few! We were fab in those days

How exciting Sue - I didn't know you could even do such things!!

I didn't apply for any tickets due the cost of the tickets and the cost of travel/hotels etc but I am very excited that the Olympics are coming to London - unlike some, I think it will be great for the country and hopefully bring a lot of money into it. I know Mr Lloyd Webber was saying that the musicals will not make any money during the Olympics but surely bars, restaurants, shops etc will do? As well as hotels, guest houses, campsites......

Good luck Sue, it will be amazing if you get selected.

PS Maximum - I agree with the 80's athletes reference, I grew up watching athletics avidly during that time and loved it. Seb Coe, Steve Cram, Steve Ovette, Fatima, Tessa, Daley Thompson to name a few! We were fab in those days

You are so right Jay. There will be an enormous amount of money spent. An unbelievable amount. People have to eat, drink and sleep just for starters.

They will buy souvenirs and so many sundry items.

Imagine what people buy at your local Agricultural Show buy and multiply that thousands of times over.

Service industries to the Games will make money, everyone involved should benefit. The folks who are employed by the Games will benefit and who knows how many people will find permanent employment because of it.

I think you are right to feel as you do. Who cares if the theatres are empty for a few weeks.

Bloody luvvies, if they're not patting themselves on the back they're slagging someone off!
I couldn't afford tickets to the Games, or tickets to the Theatre for that matter!

Fingers crossed for you.

I am sooo excited about the Olympics coming to London. I did apply for tickets but didn't get any (I was living nearby when I applied so travel wouldn't have been a problem).

I nearly helped build the Olympic Stadium. I was training as a Funeral Arranger and to get to the training centre I needed to get a train to Stratford International, get a bus to Stratford mainline and then get a train to Manor Park.

I got off at Stratford International, walked to the bus stops and joined the back of the queue. It was only when I got to the turnstile I realised I'd joined the queue for the building site and not for the bus, which was next to it.

With hindsight I would have been better off on the building site as I spent the afternoon in a room with 100 or so corpses!

Good luck Sue xxxx

And if you get to spend some time in London, we may bump into each other, because Lloyd, my eldest is moving up there in August .

Good luck Sue xxxx

And if you get to spend some time in London, we may bump into each other, because Lloyd, my eldest is moving up there in August .

Now that could be arranged if Iget there but would London hae enough wine to support us both :jelous:

Back