Long working hours and commutes?

VicLouGray

So I'm very lucky have a secured myself a very nice work placement for my year in industry. To try and save money I'll be living with the parents (could be interesting) and committing from outside Leicester to Nottingham every day. A grand total of 3 hours. In an effort to save further money I'll be doing 5 days worth of hours on placement in 4 days so I can keep my summer job one day a week. This is however, going to mean very long days where I think the temptation to snack on crap may become overwhelming.

Does anyone have any advice for eating on the go? Because by the looks of it, I may be taking all my meals in various places that aren't my own house...

Definitely plan a head as much as possible. If you can give yourself half an hour to plan out what you might be eating for at least 3/4 of your meals and their points and schedule more food for the times you think you'll need it. That way you're less likely to grab an unhealthy meal due to stress/boredom/hunger on you long day. It doesn't have to be cooked from scratch either but know that e.g. an M&S chargrilled chicken sandwich is 7 points and a packet of Walkers "Baked" crisps is 3, reduced salt/fat packet soups are usually 2 or 3 etc.

Always make sure you have a bottle of water handy to keep yourself hydrated and curb mindless snacking. Always keep a couple of pieces of fruit (or small portion of nuts or carrot sticks etc) ready to fend off long day crashes.

Remember to use your weeklies and log them to cover any mistakes because on a long day with a long journey there are always going to be some. And don't beat yourself up over any lapses, but draw a line under it and move on.

Good luck! Just by thinking about how you are going to handle it you've got a head start on where I was at uni. :D

Back