Loose Skin Worries

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by Nixel, 11 February 2011 Social URL.

1. Nixel

Nixel New Member

Start Weight:
    21st0lb
    Current Weight:
    20st5.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.5lb(2.89%)
    Diet:
    Just calorie counting
    Hello there everyone!

I am new to the forum. :)

I have one question, or should I say one worry (which inspired me to join this forum today). I plan on losing a total of around 9 and a half stone. I have lost 5 stone in the past and slowly gained it.

My main worry about getting down to my goal weight is loose skin. I've tried looking at various sources on the internet, but nothing seems clear. When I lost 5 stone, I didn't have any loose skin, but obviously losing an extra 4.5 is a lot!

Are there any ladies out there that have had that kind of weight loss with very minimal loose skin?

Is it genetics, or the foods you eat, moisturiser, or exercise that helps your skin keep its elasticity? Or perhaps slow weight loss?

If anyone could advise, I'd really appreciate it :)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Lynn_

Lynn_ On A Mission!

Start Weight:
    17st9lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st0lb(39.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Diabetic/Low carb
    A lot depends on your age, you didnt mention how old you are. Im 56 now, and ive lost just about 7 stone in the past 9 months At my age I can expect to have a bit of saggy skin anyway, but I was getting very worried about it a few months ago as it seemed to be in evidence. However, Ive lost just over another stone since then and things do seem better, it certainly hasnt got any worse.

I think if you lose weight slowly it may give the skin better chance to regain some elasticity, I lost mine pretty fast though and im not really that unhappy with my skin now. My upper arms are the worst area, and just inside the tops of my thighs, but nothing I cant live with. My boobs are probably the bit that has suffered most, but a good bra does wonders.

What will happen will happen, no doubt exercise would help a lot but im too lazy lol. No harm in using moisterisers or bio oil and it may help, exercise is probably your best bet though, and drink lots of water to keep your skin in good condition.

4. binnybee3

binnybee3 Full Member

Start Weight:
    21st4lb
    Current Weight:
    21st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st12lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Lipotrim
    Loads of things are said to work and really..I'd try them all..Obviously yes, slow weight loss gives your skin chance to catch up...Lots and lots of water..and hot baths and lotions are other things..Lots of girls mention palmers lotion...good for stretch marks and tightening and things like that...bio oil is also another good one...Exercise would deffinately help! There's loads of other posts about this where theres other good tips..Good luck! :)

Last edited: 12 February 2011
  5. sigourney

sigourney Gold Member

Sadly I have a lot of loose skin . And despite exercise it's not moving . three children lol so to be expected I guess . My doc
    Has recommended me for a TT . Bless him . X

6. kagome75

kagome75 WWer

Start Weight:
    92kg
    Current Weight:
    61kg
    Goal Weight:
    55kg
    Lost(%):
    31kg(33.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I once found a VERY interesting website that opened my eyes on the fact that the so-called "loose skin" is not skin after all. If you look at your skin, it's at its thickest at your talon and at its thinnest at your eyelid. Try to pinch your hand and you will see how thin your skin is... certainly not thick like you see in the so-called "loose skin". in reality what we call "loose skin" is excess fat that is left showing because our muscle mass has decreased. This is caused by a too quick weight-loss which is due to under-eating too much and not exercising. When you lose 3 or 4 lbs a week in reality you're mostly losing muscles. The more muscles you lose the more your skin will look saggy because your body will go in starvation mode, retain the fat (rubbish for you but precious resource for your body!) and lose the "mouths to feed", which are vital to keep the shape we want and hang the skin and fat to SOMETHING.

You can read more about it here: The Myth of Loose Skin I think that it's a website really well done.

What I have noticed is that with propoints I'm staying mainly the same as weight, but my saggy skin is decreasing, which means that the composition of my body is changing!

Look at these pictures from that website:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I just quote the website for what follows:
    Is this any clearer now? THIS is why I think ProPoints is a great diet. Check your measurements girls, because although you might not lose weight, you WILL definitely lose inches!

7. Tinkerbelle888

Tinkerbelle888 Full Member

My upper inner arms are the worst, dinner lady arms I call em lol

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.