Lost cause....

canterberry

AS above really, i'm beginning to think that's me. I started SW in 2010 seemingly with no luck so decided to defect over to WW at the end of last year and - drum roll please- now weigh 2lb more than in 2010. I have done SW many years ago with great success but just can't seem to get my head round either of these anymore. So i have decided to just go with calorie counting as now a days most food items have the calorie info on the packaging and once i work out my daily allowance i'm hoping to at least be able to understand the dos and don'ts. When i first started 2 years ago i was hoping to lose 5 stone by early 2012 but its looming closer now and i'm panicking. I'm really motivated at the start of the week and still go to a group purely for the discipline of being weighed but the weight just seems to be staying put. I know yous people out there are not miracle workers but some tips from you would be really appreciated.

Firstly you are not a lost cause, I really believed I was too, fifteen years of trying to lose weight for me resulted in weighing 7 stone more than when I started. I joined WW at least 3 times every year as when I was 21 I hit goal with them but no luck, i'd lose a stone & lose heart, SW was no good for me as taught me nothing about portion control, tell me I can eat as much pasta as I want & I will & I really don't see it's sustainable, well not for me anyway.

What I've realised is this is not a diet this is my new life & 10 months in I'm 6 stone lighter & happier than I've been for I don't know how long. I finally realised it about eating less & doing more!

My advice is track everything you put in your mouth, it may only be 10 cals but a few times a day & it adds up.

Wishing you the best of luck, onwards & downwards x

Lexie2005 said:
Firstly you are not a lost cause, I really believed I was too, fifteen years of trying to lose weight for me resulted in weighing 7 stone more than when I started. I joined WW at least 3 times every year as when I was 21 I hit goal with them but no luck, i'd lose a stone & lose heart, SW was no good for me as taught me nothing about portion control, tell me I can eat as much pasta as I want & I will & I really don't see it's sustainable, well not for me anyway.

What I've realised is this is not a diet this is my new life & 10 months in I'm 6 stone lighter & happier than I've been for I don't know how long. I finally realised it about eating less & doing more!

My advice is track everything you put in your mouth, it may only be 10 cals but a few times a day & it adds up.

Wishing you the best of luck, onwards & downwards x

Strewth you're doing really well. Will find some time to sit and look through the diary section, sometimes I just get stuck with eating the same things or worse nothing at all.

Canterberry, I feel the same as you :/ However I am determined this time!!! Have been successful with SW, WW and low carb in the past but I've tried all of these recently and I just can't seem to get my head into it. After a week I'm stuffing my face again!! I'm hoping low cal will help as I can have whatever I want, within reason. Let's check in next weekend and see how we're doing ... :) xx

trust me you are not a lost cause, my advice would be don't go down the diet route but try the whole lifestyle change thing, it sounds a bit cliche but I have always done one diet after another, sometimes really fad type ones and other more sensible ones like WW but always ended up losing a bit and putting it back on again plus more besides.

I personally believe that no diet really works long term, in all honesty what works is the obvious thing of healthy eating and drinking enough fluid and increasing your exercise, the thing is its so obvious, too obvious that we often ignore what is staring us in the face and go off hunting for a crazy diet which promises us massive weight loss and provides us with strict rules to follow. I have found since I have thrown in the towel with regards to going on a set diet and just started doing my own thing consisting of healthy regular meals throughout the day, water based drinks at regular intervals and increased exercise plus allowing myself built in weekly food treats like a meal out with family or friends the weight is coming off well plus I am not feeling hard done by as I have always done on set diet plans. I know it works as I have lost 2 stone 10 lbs in 11 weeks now through doing it, I personally like Paul McKennas type of approach, the whole lifestyle change and mindful eating etc and only eating when you are hungry and stopping when you are full, its a nice simple approach and best of all works and you can eat whatever you want in moderation, there are no bad or good foods, everything is allowed just in moderation.

Good luck, I am sure doing your own calorie counting / healthy eating plan is the way to go, Em xx

1978Emma said:
trust me you are not a lost cause, my advice would be don't go down the diet route but try the whole lifestyle change thing, it sounds a bit cliche but I have always done one diet after another, sometimes really fad type ones and other more sensible ones like WW but always ended up losing a bit and putting it back on again plus more besides.

I personally believe that no diet really works long term, in all honesty what works is the obvious thing of healthy eating and drinking enough fluid and increasing your exercise, the thing is its so obvious, too obvious that we often ignore what is staring us in the face and go off hunting for a crazy diet which promises us massive weight loss and provides us with strict rules to follow. I have found since I have thrown in the towel with regards to going on a set diet and just started doing my own thing consisting of healthy regular meals throughout the day, water based drinks at regular intervals and increased exercise plus allowing myself built in weekly food treats like a meal out with family or friends the weight is coming off well plus I am not feeling hard done by as I have always done on set diet plans. I know it works as I have lost 2 stone 10 lbs in 11 weeks now through doing it, I personally like Paul McKennas type of approach, the whole lifestyle change and mindful eating etc and only eating when you are hungry and stopping when you are full, its a nice simple approach and best of all works and you can eat whatever you want in moderation, there are no bad or good foods, everything is allowed just in moderation.

Good luck, I am sure doing your own calorie counting / healthy eating plan is the way to go, Em xx

Fabulous ..!!!! Well done you x
I like your ethos :)
Think I may employ it .!!! Altho I do eat healthy and follow low GI/GL principles but I also calorie count ... :-( don't know if I could all that without calorie counting ..!!!! Id be itching to do it ..!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

EEKKK, hubby has just booked us a holiday for the beginning of October, looking forward to it as i haven't been on holiday for over 10 years, (nothing to do with weight) but some more notice would have been good.

canterberry said:
EEKKK, hubby has just booked us a holiday for the beginning of October, looking forward to it as i haven't been on holiday for over 10 years, (nothing to do with weight) but some more notice would have been good.

Wow .. Fantastic ..!!!! Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

thanks for your reply, I have to admit I actually am pro the low GI diet , its one of my exceptions as I am not a fan of diets usually but the low GI one is medically based one, I just worry about the more fad type diets, I prefer the ones that actually are more sensible and get away from the "bad foods" type mindset, I am for example someone who would watch things like carbs but would never take it to the level of say a low carb diet, more moderate carbs, I am basically pro moderation on everything, the middle path. I have gone from a starvation / binge lifestyle to eating regular healthy meals and drinking water based drinks at regular intervals during the day and increased my exercise level and the health benefits in just 11 weeks have been amazing, I've rid myself of my sleep apnea and the signs on my body which indicated I was pre-diabetic have almost faded completely something which has pleased my gp no end, its amazing how quickly you can turn things around with sensible eating and more exercise. Em x

Back