Lots to lose - Gastric band or slimming world

Jengen

Morning,

I have posted this in slimming world but just wanted some thoughts/advice from people who also have a lot of weight to lose, i have around 10/15st to lose!

I have joined and re-joined slimming world many times, probably once a year or every 18 months for the last 8 years! If I follow the plan it does work but I usually go off track and then leave again!

I'm 28 and my husband and I have been trying for a baby for almost 4 years now - I have been told I need to lose weight and I have small bursts of motivation but these don't last long! I have PCOS and have been told that losing weight would help but i still fail!

My husband mentioned going go the doctors and asking about a gastric band :$ I really didn't want to do anything like that - but after so many years of failed dieting I just don't know? My appetite has always been huge and I love fast food and eating out and of course chocolate and cakes, sweets etc i am worried that if I did get it fitted I would make myself ill by eating too much and too fast and the wrong foods? I'm worried about excess skin too?

Also if anyone has been through this process, was the doctor helpful and how long did it take from your first doctors appointment?

Any comments or advice would be gratefully received

Jengen :)

hi jen

all i can say to you is for you to google it do searching about the procedure and like your doing now found out from people who have had it done i mean no one can say yes do it or no dont its your decision love for me personally i would not go down that road but im not against anyone who does have it done
good luck love what ever you chose been thinking could you ask your dr if they have any places you can go to on the nhs where they learn you about food and exercise least that will help you we have one called rio you could always ask them hun good luck xxxxxxxx

Hiya! Have you considered asking your GP for slightly less drastic help, like weight loss drugs? I started out with around 10 stone to lose, and would personally never consider a gastric band, but I saw my GP and she prescribed Orlistat. I've been calorie counting and taking the tablets, and have lost over 8 stone so far. It's something to consider as an alternative to surgery. Good luck. :) xx

Hiya :) I personally think that surgery for weight loss should be the last resort option.

It is down to willpower and wanting to do it. The weight won't drop off instantly, it does take time and commitment.

Im currently doing slimming world and like yourself I have a full set of sweet toothed mashers in my gob :) I wouldn't just have one doughnut, I'd have all 4 in one day! The way I've avoided the temptation is to simply avoid it. I don't buy them, wont even go down the chocolate aisle in the supermarket.

Theres no secret to weight loss, we all know its a matter of eating healthily, avoiding the junk and exercising more.

i know in my area if you go to the gp they can put you on a diet/exercise referral where you go to the gym/slimming club for free.

Any form of surgery for weightless in my opinion should be the last option. You need to address your eating habits initially otherwise you'll get the surgery, lose weight and then potentially put the weight back on.

Hello, I have been a yo yo dieter for years I have done WW,SW and other random diets, now I calorie count and downloaded the MFP app and have stuck to it since July/Aug last year and have lost almost 5 stone I had about 12 stone to loose. If I have a bad day I log what I eat and just get back on track the next day,if I want a treat I count it in and do extra exercise. I know once I have lost the weight I can feel proud that I have done it myself without needing surgery I know a lot of people need the surgery but its not something I would ever have done. Good luck with whatever you decide and we are all here to support you x

The way I've avoided the temptation is to simply avoid it. I don't buy them, wont even go down the chocolate aisle in the supermarket..

If I have a bad day I log what I eat and just get back on track the next day,if I want a treat I count it in and do extra exercise.

Both really brilliant pieces of advice, ladies - and I agree completely about trying an eating plan first. I've read so much about people going through all the drama of gastric bypasses, only to put the weight back on - how soul destroying - and as Claire says, the euphoric feeling you get when you know you've been eating well and still lose weight is fabulous! :D I can also recommend Claire's approach - CC and logging food - it's the only thing that has worked for me.

here here susie

I'm 28 in 2 weeks, have been married for nearly 5 years now. I would love to have had a baby by now but haven't started trying because I'd hate to struggle and have the doctors tell me that Im not conceiving because of my weight.

I have 10 stones to lose so know how you feel too.

If you can afford it, go for a hypnoband. And seek therapy.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm following the sw plan. It's amazing, you can eat a variety of foods and educates your palate... BUT, the therapy is exploring the negative thinking patterns I used to be so used too and helping me gain confidence and competence again. Ask your GP to refer you for counselling because once you understand why you eat so much it is easier to solve the problem.

Gastric band will shrink your stomach but if you're still craving those foods and you don't change your behaviour it won't help you at all.

You need the right type of support too. I used to go to a group before but the consultant was **** and so were the members. The class so was boring that I stopped going after a few weeks.

The group now has a new consultant and the members are fantastic and are a real life line.

Don't give up hope. You can do this. Think of that baby in your arms :) that's what I think of now.

Rozie x

Hey.. My starting weight was 29 stone so I know how daunting it can be. Just do your best and be prepared for the long haul. It'll be worth it in the end :) x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Also about the loose skin thing....don't worry about it til you need to. Loose skin is easier to hide than fat is.

I'm following the mfp diet, well I'm eating my own things but with cal limits . So so easy, and you can earn back cals for treats with exercise too.

Another good tip is to drink your 8 glasses or 4 pints of water a day. It really helps. I also don't eat after 6:30-7pm and that super dooper boosts my losses :) x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Morning,

I have posted this in slimming world but just wanted some thoughts/advice from people who also have a lot of weight to lose, i have around 10/15st to lose!

I have joined and re-joined slimming world many times, probably once a year or every 18 months for the last 8 years! If I follow the plan it does work but I usually go off track and then leave again!

I'm 28 and my husband and I have been trying for a baby for almost 4 years now - I have been told I need to lose weight and I have small bursts of motivation but these don't last long! I have PCOS and have been told that losing weight would help but i still fail!

My husband mentioned going go the doctors and asking about a gastric band :$ I really didn't want to do anything like that - but after so many years of failed dieting I just don't know? My appetite has always been huge and I love fast food and eating out and of course chocolate and cakes, sweets etc i am worried that if I did get it fitted I would make myself ill by eating too much and too fast and the wrong foods? I'm worried about excess skin too?

Also if anyone has been through this process, was the doctor helpful and how long did it take from your first doctors appointment?

Any comments or advice would be gratefully received

Jengen :)

This sounds just like me, been married 6 years tho, I also have bad pcos had chlomid but no luck, to get to the next step - infertility clinic I have to loose just over 5 more stone, no more excuses for me, no more crying. I referred myself to a weightless class through the council anyone with a BMi over 30 can join,it has a weightless class then excercise it's great. I use mfp mad have lost about 2 stone in 2 month. Spoke to one of the weightless experts re a band but personally I want to do it myself for me :0) she did tell me they are good for people who eat BIG meals but for someone like me that sweets cakes and alcohol ( my main probs) it wouldn't really work as I eat little and often as this is what the band does, it wouldn't work , good luck X

Back