Low cal but high carb food - need to come out of ketosis

Lord LuLu

I'm going to the Docs later today and anticipate that I'll be prescribed oral steroids. Steroids raise blood sugar which combined with ketosis can be dangerous so i'll need to come out of ketosis for a week. The old me would have taken this as an opportunity to stop S&S and gorge but not now!

Can anyone think of a high carb food that is as low in cals as possible so that I can stick to a VLCD albeit I won't be in ketosis?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Brown rice, pasta, fruit, coloured veg - think SW green days and you should keep the cals down if you keep the portions reasonable :)

Thanks noodles, my intention was to stick to the S&S packs but add in something high in carbs (hopefully coming in at under 800 cals in total so still classed as VLCD). Would a few pieces of fruit be enough to stop ketosis do you think? I have ketostix so can check levels.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I would guess so, play about with some different bits in my fitness pal food tracker, see what the overall carb level comes out at, most people would be out by 70 or 80g I think, so if you aim for over 100g then that'll probably do it at a guess :)

Yeah fruit and root veggies are good- carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, bananas, apples, butternut squash.

Thanks all, had a look at MFP and the easiest thing is a jacket potato plus 3 normal packs. Had a couple of bread rolls today too (and no packs) as I want to be sure I'm well and truly out of ketosis. I'm probably being over the top as the steroid dose I've been prescribed isn't massive (10mg of prednisolone for 7 days) but better to be safe than sorry I guess! I haven't told the docs about S&S as I didn't want to muddy the waters and knew I would need the steroids.

I went shopping after I'd been to the docs and was so impressed at how restrained I was, the old me would have been buying croissants, chocolate, pies etc with the thought process that it's OK as I needed to come out of ketosis but all I bought non S&S was potatoes and the bread rolls, still bought swede for my S&S veg and cottage cheese as my S&S protein.

some sweet veg and rice I would suggest, maybe some fruity yogurt too. perhaps have one less pack and have a carby meal. you could add lemon juice to things too, see if citric acid really does stop ketosis

some sweet veg and rice I would suggest, maybe some fruity yogurt too. perhaps have one less pack and have a carby meal. you could add lemon juice to things too, see if citric acid really does stop ketosis

Funnily enough only yesterday I was out and had a diet coke for the first time which contains citric acid (I drink LOTS of coke zero at home/work and it doesn't affect my losses) - I tested with the Ketostix and it didn't affect ketosis at all. It was only a small glass but good to know that I can have the odd glass whilst out and about, I don't really drink alcohol so diet coke is my drink of choice when out anyway.

heh I was never convinced thought it was Lighterlife making things up as they try to get you to avoid everything as youre essentially giving up food.
maybe in large quantities it does

Citric acid does affect my losses. The stuff I've read on it means essentially that for around 25% of the population, it has no effect at all, for 50% there is a limited and gradual effect, and for the other 25%, their bodies metabolise citric acid as a pure sugar, therefore a zero calorie can of diet coke is processed as if it has 300 calories of carb - sugars - so it reduces your calorie deficit and therefore your weight loss. Considering that the body would treat citric acid as carbs, then in 25-75% of the general population, there is the prospect of going out of ketosis from drinking it. Made sense to me if only from the calorie viewpoint as I always lost more on a regular diet when I gave up diet coke :)

Just seen that noodles and its really interesting! I didnt know any of that, I always thought it was something to do with how acid slows down the rate food burns off but then didnt know why citric acid was special.
Diet coke is rubbish too, I sometimes drink the full sugar stuff.. I know its bad but contains less chemicals. theres research saying the artificial sweeteners cause hunger too.
plus full carb coke is only 139 calories (on a normal eating day, not too bad)

Just seen that noodles and its really interesting! I didnt know any of that, I always thought it was something to do with how acid slows down the rate food burns off but then didnt know why citric acid was special.
Diet coke is rubbish too, I sometimes drink the full sugar stuff.. I know its bad but contains less chemicals. theres research saying the artificial sweeteners cause hunger too.
plus full carb coke is only 139 calories (on a normal eating day, not too bad)

In normal eating full coke is probably better for you because of all the sweeteners in diet coke.

I find full carb coke more satisfying too, I find I enjoy drinking my calories sometimes (perhaps I learned that from having only liquid diet on Lighterlife!) when I tell my OH what ive eaten in a day I always include coffees with milk or other drinks that have calories and hes like "coffee isnt food" but milk is!

Back