Low cal, high energy foods?

BerryBerry

Silver Member
Hi all

Does anyone have recommendations for low calorie foods which provide the best energy? I am particularly looking for lunch/snack ideas to try and beat the dreaded 3/4pm lull :)

A hard boiled egg, Jillian michaels says a few nuts ( avoid peanuts) 2-3 almonds and a couple of brazil nuts, should provide you with the protein and energy needed. Just stick to a few and you should avoid the lull, and cals.
Recently I cut out sugar for lent that we just had and my energy was fantastic no more blood sugar slumps.

Know it's a bit cheating, but a strong cup of coffee can do wonders sometimes. Think the mix of caffiene and hotness keep the belly rumbles away, and keeps me awake for the hectic afternoons at work! Sometimes I think, for snacking, it's better to just have no food at all than a nibble, as a nibble often turns into more... I'd rather just have a bigger lunch, to be honest.

I wish I could do that, I find it really hard not to have a snack between meals and when I do manage it I turn into some binge monster and fill my face while my tea is cooking :(

An apple I always have a lovely little apple in the afternoon to do me until tea and to stop me picking at the kids teas :)

I like making a 'nom plate' - it's a plate of things you can go nom nom nom and nom them all up ;) Celery and carrot sticks...a small apple cut up.... some low fat crackers ... a splodge of low fat hummus or low fat tzatziki - and maybe a triangle or two of laughing cow low fat cheese (if you have that brand, or some low fat cheese). Along with a nice, big mug of hot herbal tea - my favourite is ginger and lemon. Take the time to s - a - v - o - u - r the food, really taste every bit - rather than eating while distracted. Then you will feel more full afterwards. I also second the apple suggestion! A banana is good too...99 calories. Have a second piece of fruit if you're really hungry...you can have two nice pieces of fruit for just under 200 calories and feel quite full :) By the way, if you're feeling hungry mid-afternoon, it might be an idea to allow yourself more calories for a small mid-afternoon mini meal and *less* calories for dinner. There's no rule that says we have to wait until dinner-time to eat (is there? :) )

Hi SuperGroovy- like the idea of the snack plate. A lot of you have mentioned apples so will give this a whirl come 3 o clock. I find them a bit dodge to eat at my desk (so loud and crunchy ha ha!)

Also congrats on your losses :) Do you have a diary? We are at a similar-ish weight I think ... my last WI was 63.7 and I have set 60kg as my first goal too!

I've just started liking houmous on rice cakes, or if I'm in need of chocolate, chocolate spread on a couple of rice cakes only a hundred or so calories but quite filling and not as naughty as chocolate.

I always try to have plenty of protein with my lunch. Usually something with chicken or tuna will get me through the afternoon nicely.

For snacks I tend to go for a banana or the Shape fuller for longer yoghurts. Or if it's a really bad day, a low cal cereal bar with a big cuppa tea!

Back