Low carb and lifestyle.....

So I thought I'd show my face on here again. Used to love it then things got in the way. Never used to post much though. I am continually fighting myself. I have an obsession with food and I actually hate it even though I love food. I feel like I am always trying new things and they don't work. New ideas and I tell my hubby about it and he made a comment to me in an argument that I should focus on myself rather than others/him! So now I am. I don't cook for him, only myself and my daughter and we pretty much eat well. Until the evenings and weekend. I get so hungry at night and want to pick. So I bought myself some monkey nuts and pick on them until I realise I've eaten half a bag! I don't think this is too bad though as I am on low carb/diet doctor, so good fats. But my husband is a chocoholic and he buys stuff and I have trouble saying no. I won't buy it and it's fine but it's like if I don't have some, I'm really missing out. I don't know why I have this real bad problem with food!

Hi,

I have been a bit of a chocaholic, so I can empathise with your husband, I'm afraid. It has taken a lot of willpower, but I've managed to go weeks without regular chocolate. I think I've had about 4 or 5 bars of chocolate since starting this day early last month. I used to finish work and go to the shop to get something for dinner. I would buy a lot - like a piggish amount - and spend the evening eating it. Family/multi-packs were terrible for me; I could eat it all in one sitting and would consider it a single portion! Maybe try splitting the monkey nuts up in to portions, putting them in separate bags or Tupperware boxes and then you have to physically go and get another portion?

I've managed to find healthier alternatives to what I used to eat. Yogurts are great and surprisingly filling, my favourite is the Muller lemon Greek yogurt (or something like that - the regular is tastier than the low calorie and still fewer calories than chocolate etc), and cheddar biscuits are only 20 calorie each, and you can get a surprising number of berries for very few calories. Ice lollies are also quite low calorie and can take ages to eat. Without doing anything different, other than cutting out my evening pig-outs, I have lost 8kg since early last month, and the food I'm eating actually tastes nicer.

It is easier for me, though - I don't have temptation at home as my boyfriend works away so he doesn't really have food at home. Maybe speak to your husband about how you are doing something for you and banning chocolates/multipacks of chocolate etc in the house?

Good luck!

It's difficult when things are in the house - I also find it hard saying no! Which also means work if often tricky as it seems we're constantly surrounded by treats!

Loz - well done on your loss! 8kg since last month is amazing :)

Thank you.

I know what you mean about work, it can be hard to say no to cakes etc when everyone else is joining in.

It would be an idea to put my monkey nuts into portions. But in all honesty it's everything else that is the problem!

There is no point talking to hubby. He is amazing but when it comes to food, he is not interested at all and just wants chocolate or rubbish. So it's a hard one.

I think I need to focus on having good stuff in the fridge and maybe when temptation is there, I look at an awful picture of myself

I try not to have the 'bad' foods in the house. That way I'm not distracted.

I know people say Life is for living but you can have a life without sabotaging your diet. You either want to loss the weight now or you mess around for years beating yourself up every time you break the diet. You can eat everything if you have no allergies etc it's just knowing how much of it to eat. And to stop when you've had a portion size.:)

Back