Low carb snacks (recipes and ready bought) from the UK that are CHEAP...

RedRevolver

Anyone know of some good, cheap, plentiful snacks that can either be made at home and stored or pre-packaged?

I keep o
n snacking on decidedly non low-carb food, and I've been proud of my weight loss (I still weigh two stone less than my starting weight, although I think it's beginning to creep back on because of all the crap!)

I like eati
ng low carb meals, like eggs for breakfast and a big lump of protein + all the vegetables for dinner but I still find myself going for quite crappy stuff during the day. I find it difficult to control myself when hungry, so having pre-planned stuff is probably a good idea in my opinion.

Aaargh...I just wa
nt to be a sise 16 by Christmas, and as I'm only a few inches away, that shouldn't be a problem!

:(

Hi Red!

The things I tend to go for are pepperami sticks, I can't remember off hand but sure they're less than a gram of carbs per stick. I also have the old faithful of celery and peanut butter - I'm not a massive fan of celery but actually enjoy this - lots of good fats as well as protein and little in the way of carbs. If I get a hankering for crisps (rarely these days) I grab a pack of crispy bacon strips from M&S - you only need a couple of bites as they're quite salty but the crunch kinda satisfies the crisp craving. I'll also make myself a couple of cocktail sticks with cheese and whatever meat I have in the fridge. There's always a pack of cooked meat in the fridge so if I'm really hungry when I get home from work, I can grab a slice of that to get me through until I've finished cooking a meal.

I'm not following any particular diet plan, just keeping track of carbs and bad fats so I would double check that they're allowed items on whatever plan you're following but none of them have kicked me out of ketosis so far. Hope that helps a little!

Just checked the nutritional info on the peperami: 0.6g of Carbs per stick, 6.1g of Protein, 11g of Fat. I like them for the same reason as the bacon strips - quite salty so a little goes a long way and they make you chew a while, so you feel like you've done a load of eating! :)

Well done on your progress so far too! Amazing :)

Hi Red!

The things I tend to go for are pepperami sticks, I can't remember off hand but sure they're less than a gram of carbs per stick. I also have the old faithful of celery and peanut butter - I'm not a massive fan of celery but actually enjoy this - lots of good fats as well as protein and little in the way of carbs. If I get a hankering for crisps (rarely these days) I grab a pack of crispy bacon strips from M&S - you only need a couple of bites as they're quite salty but the crunch kinda satisfies the crisp craving. I'll also make myself a couple of cocktail sticks with cheese and whatever meat I have in the fridge. There's always a pack of cooked meat in the fridge so if I'm really hungry when I get home from work, I can grab a slice of that to get me through until I've finished cooking a meal.

I'm not following any particular diet plan, just keeping track of carbs and bad fats so I would double check that they're allowed items on whatever plan you're following but none of them have kicked me out of ketosis so far. Hope that helps a little!

I'm doing the same as you - no particular plan, just trying to avoid carbs!! I probably allow myself between 40-75g of carbs per day, which may not be low carb to some people but *shrug*

Ketosis doesn't matter so much to me either, just trying to avoid high carbs (so I guess more low-gi?) :)

I replied on the shoutout before I found your thread. Here are some of my suggestions for low carb, low fat, high protien snacks:

http://askgeorgie.com/garlic-and-rosemary-roasted-cannellini-beans/ - 60-70p a can

Spicy Oven-Roasted Chickpeas Recipe - CHOW - chickpeas are about 30p a can (or 25p in Asda right now)

edible perspective - Home - crunchy roasted*lentils - you can pick up most variations 500g for about £1 (I suspect green works well for this)

Do you mean to buy or to make yourself?

Some of the recipes can be tweaked for if you want to avoid cooking in oil etc. depending on your diet. I am on a VLCD so spray oil is all I am allowed!!

Last edited:
I also wonder if this is an option:

Celeriac Chips - How to Make Celeriac Chips (celeriac crisps) - celeriac = about £1.40 per kg which will make you A LOT of crisps!!

Celeriac is the only vegetable that is "root like" on my VLCD but if you aren't as strict there is always bootroot, carrot, parsnip etc.

Last edited:
I have been ordering low carb products from German manufacturer, but they are opening online store in UK very soon. I already contacted them and they told me that at first they will only be selling low carb bread, but later on they will add pasta, pizza mix, ... Their products are perfect for low carb diets + full of protein. It will be much cheaper when they start trading in UK, since postage cost me around 15quid every time I ordered their products.

I have been ordering low carb products from German manufacturer, but they are opening online store in UK very soon. I already contacted them and they told me that at first they will only be selling low carb bread, but later on they will add pasta, pizza mix, ... Their products are perfect for low carb diets + full of protein. It will be much cheaper when they start trading in UK, since postage cost me around 15quid every time I ordered their products.

which company is it please and have they started opened her yet ? thanks

Back