Low fat diet for a food neophobic? help

Kayleigh1986

Im really struggling with eating low fat things, i class myself as a food neophobic, i basically have a fear of trying anything new and i've finally made an appointment at the doctors to discuss it, they sent me to see a clinical psychologist once but she wasnt the right person. it really is a fear, please dont think im just being fussy.

My diet has consisted of frozen food....pizza's, chips, chicken, also home cooked meals like shepherds pie but with minimal things in it, same with bolognaise or stew.

Ive looked in the cupboards and freezer a d literally everything i have, cannot be eaten whilst taking xenical....

Im scared im going to be living on jacket potatoes, baked beans, sweetcorn....only healthy things i like

You can still have shepherds pie, stew etc, just make sure you use extra lean mince and all is well. I think we all have a certain fear of new foods and since food is what got us into this state it's very hard to address it. Why not start small and try one new thing a week. If you read labels check out chicken/chips and things like that in the freezer department, a lot of them fall within the Xenical rules and you can eat them no problem. Good luck,

KB x

You can still have shepherds pie, stew etc, just make sure you use extra lean mince and all is well. I think we all have a certain fear of new foods and since food is what got us into this state it's very hard to address it. Why not start small and try one new thing a week. If you read labels check out chicken/chips and things like that in the freezer department, a lot of them fall within the Xenical rules and you can eat them no problem. Good luck,

KB x

ive checked out the fat content and its within what i can have, but then this extra rule, under 5g in 100g....nothing fits that?

And it really isnt as easy as just trying one new thing a week, i really cannot do that, it literally is a phobia xx

McCain straight oven chips are ok
McCain microwave chips are ok
Tesco light choices meals are generally ok
Do you eat peas? Or salad stuff cucumber tomatoes lettuce?
Green beans?

Asda GFY chips are fine. Or how about making your own which is just potato sliced like chips & sprayed with frylight & cooked in the oven... Chicken breast stuffed with stuffing or either WW or laughing cow light cheese triangle. The chicken & minced beef crispy pancakes are ok & feel really naughty. WW sausages ok. The nicest tasting ready meals I have found are either Tesco light choices or Morrisons Eat Smart (currently on 3 for a fiver) How are you with vegetables?

Extra lean beef mince, raw turkey/ chicken steaks.
Change your cooking oil/ butter to fry light spray or just bake in tin foil in oven, or even use a zip'nsteam bag from sainsbury to cook your chicken or fish in.

Use tinned tomatoes instead of ready made pasta sauce just as nice :)
Tuna in brine
Some ww pizzas are ok
Extra light Helmans mayo is ok

Try some Carmel snack jacks, or fruit like bananas or apples If you eat fruit?

Be brave :) and you will be surprised by how much stuff you can eat!!

thank you everyone it feels so good to have a bit of support.

Misbehave - First of all thanks for the help with the chips, that will be my hardest to give up so its good to know there are some options. Unfortunately i dont eat salad, greenbeans, and cannot bear to have peas anywhere near my food. I really wish i did like salad :-( I will eat ,mince so will have to source some extra lean, i cannot bear to be near fish of any sort including tuna. I do eat oranges, apples and grapes so can snack on these

Lexie- Im definately going to give the home made chips a try, sounds nice. I looked in the freezer earlier and cannot believe that three cheese crispy pancakes are actually within the boundaries too, strange that? Vegetables, I will eat cauliflower but only if its got cheese sauce, other than that i cant bear it. Only other vegetables are potatoes (i could eat them all day in any form) carrots, and sweetcorn, oh and beetroot.

My fav food is a roast dinner....looks like they are a no no though!

thank you for all your support, i know it would seem im just fussy but i really do struggle x

Roast is fine choose lean meat, take fat off beef and lamb and skin off chicken, ww do cauliflower cheese within rules :) great that you eat fruit :) aunt Bessie roast potatoes and yorkshires are ok.. Cherry Garcia frozen yogurt is ok and very yummy

Roast is fine choose lean meat, take fat off beef and lamb and skin off chicken, ww do cauliflower cheese within rules :) great that you eat fruit :) aunt Bessie roast potatoes and yorkshires are ok.. Cherry Garcia frozen yogurt is ok and very yummy

Thats great, thank you both of you (im not sure how to multiquote)

im just on tesco website checking out my options from there, im struggling with butter...why does it have to stick to the 5g or less in 100g? If i only have 10g of butter and its like 3g of fat...surely thats ok, im not having 100g of it? i dont understand that bit

well ive just had 2 crispy pancakes, some boiled potatoes and a small portion of baked beans....

I changed to lurpak lighter which doesn't give me side effects and is also ok to cook with.. Eg birthday cakes and fry light butter spray :)

I changed to lurpak lighter which doesn't give me side effects and is also ok to cook with.. Eg birthday cakes and fry light butter spray :)

I already use lurpak lighter so thats alright, and am going to get some fry light spray, thank you, this really is a big help to me when my eating is as bad as it is, if all else fails...boiled or jacket potatoes will save the day...i miss cheese tho!

If you drink milk change to skimmed, ww yogurts are nice.

Drinks: diet sodas are better than normal ones.. 2+ litres water a day ( I drink 3+ )

Have a look at some of the laughing cow triangles, extra light Philadelphia

If you drink milk change to skimmed, ww yogurts are nice.

Drinks: diet sodas are better than normal ones.. 2+ litres water a day ( I drink 3+ )

i dont really drink milk, i have it on cereal but i have semi skimmed, i cant change because that comes unde the whole trying something new, im actually scared of trying it. I used to be addicted to coca cola, i now drink diet lemonade with a splash of orange for taste, and im trying to drink more water, i just dont have a taste for it unless im in the gym x

I like tesco light choices
chicken hot pot (take the peas out) :)
Braised Beef with mash
Sausages and mash
Chicken and pasta steam meal

I like tesco light choices
chicken hot pot (take the peas out) :)
Braised Beef with mash
Sausages and mash
Chicken and pasta steam meal

Yeah ive just seen the hot pot and might give that a go, i cant eat beef unless its in a burger...i know that sounds stupid but just another part of this stupid phobia, also sausages i just cant do, chicken and pasta is a good one.

I eat chicken....thats all ive ever had on a roast dinner, i cant eat joints of meat

The more i write it down the more daft it seems but it really is a daily struggle, cant wait to see the doctor and ask for help now i know theres a name for it

Hi
It's to do with portion sizes. 100g is a standard measurable amount that is the same whatever food you eat . Whereas the pack or portion size can vary a lot in gram size.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi
It's to do with portion sizes. 100g is a standard measurable amount that is the same whatever food you eat . Whereas the pack or portion size can vary a lot in gram size.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

But...if i only have a 10g portion of butter, so whats the point in me counting the fat in 100g, thats the bit i dont get, like if say, a potato waffle is 5g of fat and i only have 1, what does it matter if its 10g of fat in 100g, thats the bit i dont get x

Back