Low sin lasagne???

I'd love a low syn lasagne recipe too! someone at my group last week said they'd done one topped with partly cottage cheese and partly low fat normal cheese, and that they'd served this to guests and no one guessed it was a SW recipe. I don't know though, I'm skeptical, that cottage cheesey texture would be a giveaway surely?

Sounds mad but I use natural yog or fromage frai instead of cheese sauce and top it with a HEA of cheese. I love it and so does my boyfriend. Never given it to someone not on slimming world but don't see why they wouldn't like it.

donna88 said:
Sounds mad but I use natural yog or fromage frai instead of cheese sauce and top it with a HEA of cheese. I love it and so does my boyfriend. Never given it to someone not on slimming world but don't see why they wouldn't like it.

Thanks very much. Will try it x

purpleboots said:
I'd love a low syn lasagne recipe too! someone at my group last week said they'd done one topped with partly cottage cheese and partly low fat normal cheese, and that they'd served this to guests and no one guessed it was a SW recipe. I don't know though, I'm skeptical, that cottage cheesey texture would be a giveaway surely?

I'm a bit unsure about the cottage cheese thing too....?

I use the sw recipe using 1 large tub of natural yogurt, 3 beaten eggs and nutmeg as my cheese sauce and then 90 g of reduced fat chees grated on top (works out then as free + 1/2 hea or 3 syns per portion if it is 4 portions)

My husband hates yogurt and i never thought i would get this by him but he loves it (he doesn't know it is made with yogurt !!)

I use the sw recipe using 1 large tub of natural yogurt, 3 beaten eggs and nutmeg as my cheese sauce and then 90 g of reduced fat chees grated on top (works out then as free + 1/2 hea or 3 syns per portion if it is 4 portions)

I do this version too - it's lovely!

Having it tonight! I always do a spicy ''chicken'' one using quorn but might make one with quorn mince soon, not had a proper mince lasagne for years!

I did one last weekend and used a mixture of quark and 100 mls of bisto cheese granules made up as directed (4.5syns for 100 mls) and topped with HE grated cheese (40 x 2) on top. It was bob on lovely. OK not saucy, but more that acceptable :)

Try fromage fraise, mix with a pot of cottage cheese and an egg. Then top with low fat cheese from your allowance. Tastes great, and nice and healthy :)

Also, if you were following a red day you could always do what the hairy bikers did and use leeks instead of the lasagne sheets. I'm going to try this at home tonight I think :)

Ive just got the new nigella book and there's a lasagne recipe in there which swaps the white sauce for mozzarella and cooked eggs. It looks good. Might give it a go this week.

Pete’s Leek Lasagne

(Based on the Hairy Bikers “skinny beef lasagne”)

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 Knorr “rich beef” stockpot+ 300g hot water for stock
1tbsp tomato puree (s) (sff)
1 handful of dried oregano
2 onions, (s) (sff)
2 bay leaves
2 large leeks (s) (sff)
2 celery sticks, finely chopped (s) (sff)
2 carrots (s) (sff)
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced (sff)
1tbsp cornflower (3.5 syns/4=0.8syn per person)
150g button mushrooms, quartered (s) (sff)
180g reduced fat cheddar (4 Hea/4= 1Hea)
375 skimmed milk (1Hea)
400g tomatoes (s) (sff)
500g lean beef mince (ff)
Grated nutmeg
Salt & Pepper

Method

Slice the leeks halfway through, to the centre, cut the ends saving for later, cook for 5 mins or until they are soft, remove and chill, open out & dry on a kitchen towel, set aside.
Pre heat the oven at 200c.In a large pan cook the beef, any remaining leeks, chopped onion, garlic, carrot & celery. Cook for 10 mins, add mushrooms, and cook for 5 mins more. Add the beef stock, tomatoes, puree & oregano. Add 1 bay leaf. Season well with lots of pepper, Simmer for 20-30 mins, until the liquid has been cooked out, remove the bay leaf & disregard.
In a bowl mix the cornflower with 3tbsp of the milk, to a smooth paste. Cut 1 onion into quarters & place in a saucepan with a bay leaf, & bring to a simmer for 3 mins, remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 10 mins. Remove the onion & bay leaf, discard, reheat & add the remaining milk, cornflower & 1tbsp of the cheese, mix well and heat until thickened, season with the nutmeg, salt & pepper.
In an oven-proof dish add the mince mix to cover the base, add a layer of the leek “sheets” then repeat until the dish is full, finish with a leek layer, pour the white sauce over then add the cheese, cook at 200c for 30 mins until bubbling and the cheese has melted.
Leek Lasagne (Small).JPGLeek Lasagne-2 (Small).JPG

I just tend to use passata instead of proper sauce, extra lean mince and my allowance of parmesan cheese mixed with a tiny bit of mozzarella through it rather than any cheese sauce. I also put tonnes of onions and mushrooms in to ensure my third superfree (as I don't tend to have side dishes with lasagne, just the lasagne itself)

Measured carefully taking my HeA allowance into account it works out as syn free. It's not as good as a proper lasagne but I find it hits the spot when I'm craving it.

Though tbh if I wanted something decent and SW friendly I'd get a ready made Sainsburys one and use my syns for it! (saves faffing about cooking) I recall seeing one somewhere on syns online for just 4 syns!

I had the Lasangne with butternut squash out of last months sw mag and put 30grms of parmasan cheese on top which was 3 syns each, absolutly delicious

I love SW lasagne made with low fat cottage cheese. I've found that the cottage cheese loses its texture completely. Even when I wasn't doing SW, I still always chose to make lasagne with cottage cheese, rather than with normal white sauce.

Simon Rimmer from BBC's Saturday Kitchen claims that using cottage cheese is his grandmother's secret recipe. I think his grandmother went to Slimming World and then passed it off as her own: BBC - Food - Recipes : Simon Rimmer's lasagne

I love SW lasagne made with low fat cottage cheese. I've found that the cottage cheese loses its texture completely. Even when I wasn't doing SW, I still always chose to make lasagne with cottage cheese, rather than with normal white sauce. Simon Rimmer from BBC's Saturday Kitchen claims that using cottage cheese is his grandmother's secret recipe. I think his grandmother went to Slimming World and then passed it off as her own: BBC - Food - Recipes : Simon Rimmer's lasagne

Looking forward to trying this recipe out! Been missing my lasagne since starting slimming world!

Also, if you were following a red day you could always do what the hairy bikers did and use leeks instead of the lasagne sheets. I'm going to try this at home tonight I think :)

Sliced courgette in place of lasagne sheets is lovely too :)

Back