Lunch ideas

spo

I’m new to this forum, been browsing for a while but not posting.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me ideas on what to bring for lunches to work? I have a few options but I am getting bored! I usually have:
Baked potatoes and beans (and fruit or salad)
Mugshot and fruit
Salad
Sandwich with 2 slices of nimble bread (and fruit)
Homemade soup

I seem to have the same things every week, with 5 options I have one for each day of the week so each week is the same!

I have access to a microwave and kettle, any other ideas?

Thanks

I wonder why it is that whenever people mention jacket baked potatoes they always add "and beans"? I suppose I notice it because I hate baked beans so much, absolutely loathe them, but there are so many other things you can have with a jacket baked potato. Cheese and anchovy and light creme fraiche is my current favourite (I prefer to use my syns in my meals, rather than as snacks).

Rice or couscous or pasta make a good basis for salads. Look for Middle Eastern recipes for using couscous, with pomegranate seeds on top. And a pasta salad would be a healthier option than a Mugshot (another pet hate of mine) - my sister makes one with kidney beans and chopped yellow and orange pepper and cherry tomatoes mixed in. You could add sliced chicken or some tuna to that.

Thanks for your suggestions Anna.

I just love beans, would have them toast if I hadn't already used my healthy extra for breakfast. Especially love the Heinz Mean Beanz, the barbecue and chilli ones are syn free!

I'll try some of your salad ideas, thanks for that. I do sometimes have a bit of pasta or couscous on the side on the days that I have a salad, but I could try a bigger portion with some more veg mixed in. I just don't have a lot of time to prepare lunches so like something quick and handy (hence the mugshots)

I often bring leftovers (I actually cook extra!) from the night before into work and ping it in the microwave. I'd say about 3/5 of my lunches are leftovers - I also freeze portions sometimes so I don't get too bored having curry all week long - I can space them out over a few weeks then!

Frittatas are a brilliantly filling lunch option and you can cram it with superfree and have a salad to go along with it.

I have salad quite often but I really load them up with interesting ingredients. Beetroot, roasted squash and feta is lovely. Jalapeño peppers, tuna and sweetcorn is another favourite - oh and tuna nicoise is fab as well.

In a pinch I will buy a pack of microwaveable veggies and throw on a packet of cooked chicken and some supernoodles.

I think it's about finding the time - I know it's difficult and can seem insurmountable sometimes but putting aside ten minutes either in the morning or the night before to prepare something for lunch will make the journey so much easier - and enjoyable! - for you that I'm sure you'll find it worthwhile.

Oh, if you LOVE beans then sometimes for breakfast I have baked beans with ham (the chunky stuff you can buy in packets from Asda/Sainsbo's) and feta cheese. It sounds a bit bleugh but it's blooming lovely - you only need a sprinkle of feta, not even half an A choice - and the best bit is that you're not using a B choice. This would totally work as a lunch option if you had some fruit salad as your 1/3 SF.

I always take leftovers to eork for my lunch. My meals are pretty much free foods' so I cook a little extra, and when I am dishing up, I put a portion straight into the tupperware.

I find this saves money, I am not tempted to buy treats from the canteen, and often meals can taste even better than the night before. The best bit is when I open my lunch and all my colleagues mention how nice it smells! Makes me feel a little smug, and is quite a good motivator. I am looking forward to my chicken, veg and sweet potato mash tomorrow :)

You've had many of the suggestions I would make - I take leftovers too. I find it fills me up more and I then am much less tempting to snack. Quorn spag Bol and pasta, bean chilli and rice, casserole, any of those are good with jacket potatoes. If I'm making coleslaw then I'll take the extra with a jacket potato, leftovers from a cold roast chicken I put with salad. I do use the ainsley Harriot couscous packets (often split one between two days), hard boiled eggs or crust less quiche or frittata are good too. Do you vary your soups? I batch cook soups and freeze portions so I don't get bored - chunky soups like minestrone, veg soups, curried soups, I often use red lentils in them which can be nice and filling.
The hardest bit I find is that I crave something sweet after lunch so might have a hifi light bar or mikado sticks or one of the 0.5 syn jelly pots (Hartley 10cal).

Hope that gives you some ideas. It's always good to get good ideas. I struggle with slow cooker ideas - there are two days a week I absolutely rely on my slow cooker but it can be difficult to get fresh ideas.

Keep going :)

Again as has already been mentioned I often take leftovers from the night before - Chilli, spag bol, SW kofte curry any of these could go over a jacket spud.

If in a hurry sometimes I buy a bagged salad (mixed lettuce leaves,grated carrot etc) a pack of ham slices, and add a hard boiled egg and some low fat dressing. Depending on where you live sometimes I add pease pudding this is free and filling - in the north east its in tubs in the deli cabinets, in most stores you can also buy it in tins. Its lovely on a salad or in sarnies with ham or any cold meat really.

pease pudd 1.jpgpease pudd 2.jpg

I always keep at least half a dozen boiled eggs in the fridge to grab and go for quick snacks before lunch if im peckish. You could also make your own dips to take in with your food :

Total 0% yogurt mixed with chopped cucumber and a level tbsp mint sauce for 0.5 syns ( free if you use sugar free mint) mix it all together and you have a type of raita dip to go with your leftover curry!

Batchelors savoury rice with added onions, mushrooms, peppers would be filling.
Pasta mixed with prawns/tuna etc
SW quiches with beans
Soups

I like egg tart which is basically a glorified omlette made in the oven. You can also do Slimming World quiche. I take pasta to work and noodles. You could make a hot pot or lasagne and take a portion to work and heat it in the microwave :)

Thanks all, some great suggestions here!

Unfortunately we don't often (ever) have leftovers as I tend to batch cook and freeze for days when I don't have time to cook from scratch, or else I freeze smaller portions for my son in case we're having something he doesn't like!

But I've made a note of your other suggestions and will try some next week after our shopping.

Maintained last night but I hadn't been great all week, back in the zone today so hoping for my 1stone award before Christmas!

Back