Maccalenny's diary

maccalenny

Hi, I've been interested in IF since the publicity about it in the summer, but did not get the judd book till the start of October, which kick started me to give it a try. I've done a few dds but not been very organised, which is a recipe for disaster for me, so I'm thinking that if I keep a diary it should help.
I'm interested in judd for the short and long term health benefits as well as weight loss, and also for that reason I try to eat low GL on most of my up days. So my week is:
mon-thurs, at work, low GL. Usually 2x low GL toast for breakfast, salad with protein for lunch, low GL tea, snacks as needed.
Friday and Sunday, at home, down days. Home made soups and veggie omelettes mostly.
Saturdays....anything and everything! Well you've got to get the calories up sometime....

so I'm doing 5:2 rather than judd really, but once I feel happier on dds I might do another mid week.

I'm not sure what my starting weight was, so I'll just start weighing in from yesterday morning, so that was after a dd. I was 13st 11.8. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll make the move from obese to overweight!
thanks for reading, and in advance for any comments and advice,
Kate

Popped to the supermarket a while ago and got a tub of skinny soup that a few people had mentioned...the butternut squash one. Absolutely gorgeous! Nicely spicy and really filling, the rest of my dd should be a doddle now! I'll have a flax 9bar at about 4pm, which are lovely and indulgent-tasting, but lots of protein as they are mostly made of seeds, so really filling. I love them!

Last edited:
I cooked the family a roast for tea, I was intending to munch a raw carrot whilst cooking, then not to eat with them, but sadly the bag of carrots in the fridge looked very very dodgy, so I cooked extra veg and had some cauliflower, Brussels and peas with the family. I didn't feel too much like I was missing out, as I usually just have veggies and fish, while they all have roasties, yorkshires and chicken, none of which I like. So they did not even notice I was having anything different than usual, which I really like. Having a young daughter I don't want to make weight an issue at any time....maybe she will buck the trend and be skinny if she doesn't think I have a complex about it!

up day tomorrow-I have to eat the food provided at work. There is a small choice, but as I don't eat meat my options are more limited, so I generally have the salad. But if the pudding looks good I may treat myself!

I think that your originally unintended meal was good, as you say was probably much better than you thought, your daughter probably didn't even notice that you didn't have fish like normal, and would still fit in with a DD menu too, yes a young daughter could notice you not eating and for get mixed signals about food, you want her to eat good healthy food, and if like most youngsters, doesn't want to eat her veg, she can see you are, do they must be good.
Hope you have some tasty UD food planned for today

Wow sounds like you eat so healthily already!

Just out of interest how much do you need to weigh before you go into 'overweight' category? I always get people saying to me oh you don't need to lose that much you like fine really etc etc, then I tell them I'm clinically obese!

Good luck and hope you get a good loss in your first week X

The obese/overweight border is bmi 30 I believe. So I think I'm only a couple of pounds away. Yippee!

up day today, so I did leave the GL diet quite a lot....had sponge and custard for pudding at lunch, and pizza tonight. Everything else was GL-friendly.
Im planning another up tomorrow, but without the high sugar stuff! then a fairly gentle down on wednesday...the first time I will have attempted one at work. I'm thinking a miso soup (20cals) and a piece of toast (100cals) for breakfast, salad and something for lunch (around 200cals) then maybe some soup for tea, or a veg omelette.

I had a headache this morning, which stayed on and off through the day. Hoping it is not some sort of reaction to dds as yesterday's felt fairly easy.

My first two dd I had headaches but today I've been headache free, hopefully body is getting used to it and doing something useful instead of making my head hurt!

At least you had the pudding for lunch, I'd kid myself that I didn't want it, eat lunch then give in and have the pudding as well. Wow what a thought we can eat pudding for lunch if we want to :)

Good luck with your work dd.

Still feeling rough today and now have a cold, so in a way I'm pleased it is a bug and not headache related to dd. I'm going to try the first dd at work tomorrow, but am very nervous as sometimes if I don't eat I get migraine...once one starts it doesn't stop again and I can't be doing with that at work. So if I feel too hungry I will probably eat, just to avoid the dreaded migraine.

Sorry you're feeling poorly, hope you feel better soon.
But yes, you must be pleased the headache may have nothing to do with the DD
Migraines really aren't good anytime, let alone at work, so agree it's probably good to have something to hand
Good luck tomorrow

Good luck for today! I find DDs easier at work as I'm busier. I have loads of herbal tea and a couple of black coffees and dont get headaches anymore..

Thanks for the good wishes....it went OK, although it was a few more calories than I was aiming at. I ate a smaller breakfast and lunch than normal, then skipped tea, and have retired to bed early! Next week I will try to be braver on my dd at work, but I'm happy enough with that one for a start.

Well done for getting through it! Is that it for your dd this week now?

They really get easier... I think your body needs a bit of training before it accepts a DD. Or is it the mind we need to train? :D

Still feeling rough, work was hectic, so did some pointless eating when I got home.....I know that is a trigger time for me so I really should see it coming! All low GL stuff but I wasn't hungry so I'm fed up with myself. Dd tomorrow and I don't really have a plan...should be my day off but I have to pop into work for a couple of hours, so don't really know what or when I will be eating. Don't like not having a plan....

Well if this diet is one things its a learning curve. I already feel 100% more disciplined than I did this time last week. I have the luxury of being at home though, I'm not sure how I'd cope at work so you've just got to take it as it comes and not stress too much over food choices. Thats the beauty of this diet! I think the more you do it...the better you'll get at it, and just imagine how great you'll be when not feeling rough :)

I feel exactly the same about the discipline, today has been so much easier than expected (well so far at least). Had half a flax9bar at work, and some miso soup, about 150cals. Then half a tub of skinny soup, 90 cals. Just had a drink of milk cos my daughter brought it to me to make me feel better and I didn't have the heart to say no..... I'm going to have the other half soup and 9bar later.
I really want to start some yoga again this weekend, I did it regularly this time last year, for about 8 months, but I've got out of the habit again. Hopefully this cold will ease up so I can....inverted postures are horrible with a cold!
weigh in tomorrow morning...fingers crossed for a bit of a move along the ticker.

:faint2:

I was amazed this morning....not really expecting a big drop, but I've lost 3.2lb this week, and a total of 5lb in 8 days since I started properly!

and the best bit....I'm overweight not obese!:party0011:

i really wasn't expecting that just yet so am really happy.

it might even motivate me to a bit of exercise today!

All this joy has put me in such a good mood, I've just spent half an hour on Club Penguin earning coins for my daughter, now going to nip out to the shops for some bacon for hubby's breakfast. Bless him, he does work hard and needs a weekend treat! Mind you, when I was dazzling him with the science behind IF he was all for it, then when it came to it he looked a bit wimpy and said...'so why are we starving ourselves again...?' Guess I'm on my own on this one then!

Back