Making your own spray oil

jaylou

Gold Member
Has anyone made their own? I wondered about just using a spray bottle with some oil and water and giving it a real good shake before use.
After seeing what it's done to my actifry, I'm loathe to use this on my pans and actifry again
I was thinking a mix of one part oil to ten parts water. Any thoughts?

Why not try it and see? Then you can report back. I know what you mean about fry light ruining cooking stuff. I have thrown lots of baking trays away, pity I cant throw the oven away as well. Made a real mess of that!

I know this will use syns but you could try the filippo berio mild and light cooking spray which is half a syn for 7 sprays and is just olive oil with nothing mixed in, its also the same syns and sprays for the extra virgin one aswell x

Safia said:
I know this will use syns but you could try the filippo berio mild and light cooking spray which is half a syn for 7 sprays and is just olive oil with nothing mixed in, its also the same syns and sprays for the extra virgin one aswell x

I don't mind using syns at all. I often use oil for eggs and in my actifry and on roasted veg. Am really going off fry light so i will look out for this.

Thank you.

Thank you for listing this - I bought it but my hubbie wouldn't use it, now I can chuck the fry light out with confidence! Even 1 syn per day on oil would be absolutely fine! :)

jaylou said:
Has anyone made their own? I wondered about just using a spray bottle with some oil and water and giving it a real good shake before use.
After seeing what it's done to my actifry, I'm loathe to use this on my pans and actifry again
I was thinking a mix of one part oil to ten parts water. Any thoughts?

I love my frylite

Found this in an Asian Mini market by me £2-99.....

Cooking Oil (Small).JPGCooking Oil-2 (Small).JPG

I also use empty fry light bottles, I add 40%"crisp & dry" to 60% warm water, shake well....

Interesting thread - I love my Frylite and use it loads but now after reading this I can see why all my oven trays are ruined! I also think it's quite dear too - at the moment its £1.50 in my local Tescos but it did go up to £2.30 at one point.

I have an empty spray bottle that i got from the garden centre so am gonna have a go and make my own x

Safia said:

That's really useful info - thank you! I've used frylight as a necessary evil (so to speak) but I would much rather use proper oil so I'll be picking that up :)

At the moment I only use real oil for stir fries as I like to use sesame oil, might try putting that in a spray bottle and syning it?

I've had the same problem with pans - it ruined all my baking trays and roasting tins and my favourite frying pan so I gave up using FryLight about a year ago. I've washed out a few of the bottles and filled them with a variety of ordinary oils. I then used the spray bottle to fill a tablespoon and found it took about 70 sprays to fill it, so I've been working on 12 sprays for 1 syn. I'll check that again when I get a chance. (And I'm a bit suspicious of the chemical additives that must be in FryLight anyway, being a bit of a anti-processed foods freak.)

I just noticed this and although my pans and trays seem ok, I read somewhere about fry light being really unhealthy and had also been looking at it as a 'necessary evil' (a little fry light can't be worse than 6st extra weight). This seems like a fantastic alternative and I'll definitely be trying it out!

Back