Mashed Potato

Hi all, I just wanted to share a tip for creamy mashed potatoes.

i boil up some good quality tasty potatoes, not sure which type they are but they are not white potatoes, they have a very yellow flesh to them. Boil them up to the point you would normally mash them (they will take a knife into the centre with no resistance, but not yet breaking down) and instead of mashing, grab your hand mixer and put the blades into the hand held unit.

Holding the unit normally, break up the potatoes with the mixer blades without switching it on, then once they are broken up, start the mixer and blitz them. This will only give you smooth mashed potatoes, but if you wanted chunky you could reserve some of the mashed bits and mix them back in.

I find that if I'm having gravy or a sauce with the meal these are just fine without anything else. Otherwise a small amount of low fat spread, with salt and pepper makes them just as good as straight up mashed potato.

i guess the key is to use good quality potatoes, as their flavour compensates enough so that you don't need anything else. White potatoes just don't cut it and need adding to. The speed of the hand mixer helps to emulsify the potato, giving it a much creamier texture.

Anyway, I hope someone finds this useful.

That's a great idea. I usually use vegetable stock to add to my mash to make it creamy. Just add a bit at a time when mashing and you get creamy syn free mash :)

I may try the vegetable stock idea - I've seen other ideas like beating in an egg (which I've not tried) and using some yoghurt / quark but I found that too bitter tasting.

This is perfect for me and goes great on the top of a cottage pie.

Back