Meal Challenge

2manychins

Hi ladies, I'm hoping you can help me.I am following the extra easy plan but currently have very limited kitchen facilities which consists of 2 burners and a grill, no oven, microwave or freezer and no plug in gadgets ( I live in a camper van). This means no cassaroles, slow cooker, flans etc so can anyone suggest easy recipes that I can make with my limited skills and equipment? I have made curries, pasta and soups but I know you ladies are very resourceful and can hopefully help me. I live in a rural area so can't get to the supermarket every day and my fridge is also on the blink so can't bulk buy fresh veg as it just doesn't last - blimey sounds depressing but it's actually not that bad. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I'm making us a recipe from the magazine today can't wait! Campfire stew with mustard mash:
Sainsburys be good to yourself Cumberland sausages, bacon, peppers, onion, garlic, smoked paprika, chilli (I'm using chilli flakes), tomato purée and baked beans! It's all made in one pan and It's guna be scrummy!

I make casseroles the same way I make curries, just boil it all on the hob.... I know technically that's more of a stew then a casserole but I think they taste like casseroles, to me stews are all gravy. A good way of doing it is frying off any veg and meat your doing then adding a tin of tomatoes and some stock, then simmer until ready, I add a tin of beans as well sometimes, that goes especially well with sausage casserole. you could serve that with mash as well which wouldn't need an oven :)

I know how you feel, we spent a month in a temporary house before we moved into our house which we bought. We lived off curries, chilli's and pasta bol.... except when we were really depressed and we gave in and just bought pizza on a few occasions... but that was more because we were in a cramped, fully furnished house with all our furniture in as well, in a bad area and not sure whether we were going to get the mortgage on this place or not.

You could make some kind of casserole/stew thing on a burner I guess. I have a casserole dish which can go on the hob and do this regularly.

Heat pan, spray fry light, add meat (diced chicken, pork, beef, sausages, whatever), add chopped veg when meat has browned, when veg has softened add herbs / spices and tinned tomatoes, stock, cider, whatever! Lid on, simmer for as long as you want or until meat fully cooked. Eat! Sometimes I have it with mash or sometimes I put diced potatoes in when I put on stock or liquid. Or if I do a curry version I have rice.

Endless combinations with different meats, veg, spices, liquids.

Ooops while I was typing that person above posted the same idea! Great minds think alike ;)

Thanks ladies, I have been experimenting a little and have managed to make SW chips in my grill - yay! but they take forever - boo! Anyway will keep trying new things and hopefully have it cracked. Thanks again.

Back