Mental health advice

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by livi, 5 July 2011 Social URL.

1. livi

livi Committed Loser

Start Weight:
    23st4.3lb
    Current Weight:
    15st10.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st5.4lb
    Lost(%):
    7st7.8lb(32.42%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    It's not for me, it's for my soon to be mother in law who in the last 18 months has become virtually unrecognisable. She refuses to leave the house, wash, cook, clean, iron, watch tv, eat or anything. She eats one meal in the evening (which she picks at), is severely underweight (gone from being quite plump), confused when spoken to plus a million other things. The doctors have come out and said they can't do anything without getting her tested but she refuses to leave the house. I don't even know where to start looking for help :(

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. fillymum

fillymum synful soul

Start Weight:
    107kg
    Current Weight:
    85kg
    Goal Weight:
    79kg
    Lost(%):
    22kg(20.56%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I do not know what to say to you. I have no experience at all in this area.

Your MIL sounds very sick indeed. Surely someone can do a house visit.

The poor woman needs help and fast.

Have you been in touch with an of the societies or agencies that deal with mental health issues.

It sounds as if she is clinically depressed.

I am sure we have members on here who work in the mental health arena. I might be wrong but I remember seeing several entries from people who might be able to advice you.

hugs to both you and her.

4. MadameLaMinx

MadameLaMinx Gold Member

It is ridiculous that the doctors wont do anything without getting her tested. They could get a psychiatrist to come out to her house to see her if they just put their minds to it. Its not rocket science. They could, being as her welfare is in danger, get her sectioned under the mental health act if she will not voluntarily seek help herself. Keep pushing them to do something.

Contact your local branch of MIND and ask them for help - they provide help and support for people with mental health problems and they would be best placed to advise you on how to get her the help she clearly needs.

5. livi

livi Committed Loser

Start Weight:
    23st4.3lb
    Current Weight:
    15st10.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st5.4lb
    Lost(%):
    7st7.8lb(32.42%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    thank you both for your support and advice. I'll try MIND now.

6. fillymum

fillymum synful soul

Start Weight:
    107kg
    Current Weight:
    85kg
    Goal Weight:
    79kg
    Lost(%):
    22kg(20.56%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Please let us know how you get on.

7. charlies_mummy

charlies_mummy all for my little man x

Start Weight:
    15st4lb
    Current Weight:
    15st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3lb(1.4%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    She certainly sounds like she needs some help from a mental health professional, contact your local nhs mental health services and ask if a member of their community outreach team can come out and assess her. Is there anything you can remember that triggered this behaviour or has this been coming on gradually? It may be a psychological problem or it may be side effects or symptoms of a physiological problem, either way an outreach team should be able to assess her and get the correct help in. I really hope you get the help she needs.

8. shivvy1211

shivvy1211 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st9.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st3lb
    Lost(%):
    2st6.5lb(19.44%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I have some experience of this as two of my sisters have suffered with depression for the last 15 years.

Mental illness can manifest itself in many ways and should never be taken likely.

Who is your mother in law close to? who do you think she would trust and open up to ?

You need to get her talking and see how exactly she is feeling. Did she have a social life, did she have a relationship break down, is she feeling lonely.

We all have those times in our life when we feel down, but some people don't have the ability to pick themselves back up and start again.

I would try approaching the doctor surgery and speaking to a different person.

If you need anymore help or advice let me know.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.