Menu help please

namaste

Silver Member
Hi all.... I'm usually on the Exante board. I started with 3 shakes a day but as I've got further towards the end of my initial 100 day target I've moved up to working solution and am now mainly low carbing with the odd shake. Not many, just to use them up really as I'm aware they're 20 carbs each.

Anyway, I'm gonna continue weight loss but with low carb properly and just need some of you knowledgeable peeps to look at what I'm eating and see if it's ok for weight loss/nutrition. I haven't counted carbs and I'm not planning on doing Atkins induction tho I could if losses stall. Also I'm vegetarian which makes things a bit more tricky but not impossible.

So yesterday I had

Breakfast - a green tea, coffee with whole milk, rhubarb with soya yoghurt. The rhubarb was canned but I washed off the syrup.
Snack - Atkins bar (I've now read a lot on this board about the bars so when I've finished this box I won't be buying them anymore) and a green tea.
Lunch - half a savoury MIM with philly cream cheese. Tiny bowl of rhubarb and soya yoghurt
Snack - macadamia nuts
Dinner - Vegetable bake (half an egg, cheese, bit of creme fraiche, aubergine, cauliflower, onion, pepper, mushrooms) Green salad

Today so far

Breakfast - green tea, coffee with whole milk, half a chocolate MIM with creme fraiche and a few walnuts
Snack - 2 coffees with whole milk
Lunch - yesterdays vegetable bake leftovers with greens (cabbage and spinach)
Snack - toasted soya beans and mixed seeds

I'm guessing maybe not enough veg? Think there's enough protein and fat... any adjustments you think would be good?

I want to make sure this is manageable for life so don't mind if my weightloss isn't fast.

Any suggestions would be great :D

Possibly a good idea to put it all in MFP and see what the actual protein/fat ratio is? It is really important to get the ratio right to get fat burning going properly.

Other thing that occurs to me is the rhubarb - I know you washed the syrup off - but it has been sitting in the tin soaking in the syrup, there will be a fair amount of sugar left in it so possibly not a very good idea.

Have you got a copy of Rose Elliott's book Vegetarian Low Carb Diet ? - we are not vegetarian but use lots of the recipes, it is full of good ideas.

Rose's book is fantastic I agree.

Nuts are fine as you're vegetarian but I'd recommend swapping the whole milk for cream or alpro unsweetened soya milk.

Rhubarb is fine but do buy fresh or frozen, stick it in a pan with a drop of water and couple of tablet sweeteners and it will stew down in no time.

Looks like plenty of veg to me - just keep your fats up.

Thanks for your help guys. I'm sort of aiming to eat nothing over 5g of carbs per 100g, would that be ok? Obviously, that also depends on the portion size but it seems to be going ok so far. I'll try with the rhubarb but with the syrup it only came in at 7.3g of carbs per 100g so hopefully won't do too much damage washed :)

I'll also try the cream in coffee ~ I've given up 'normal' tea with milk and switched to whole milk in coffee so I think that's eventually doable.

Working my way through the recipe section on here too but will look out for that book.... thanks again :D

Ooooh look, post 1000 :D

I have to say 5g carbs per 100g would be too high for me in most circumstances. Eat too many foods like that and you only need 400g of food to hit your daily 20g carbs - and that's not much food.

The highest carb things I eat are almond flour (I'm not on induction) which I have 45g of maybe twice a week - that has about 5g carbs per 100g. And cauliflower which is about 4g per 100g. They're the only foods I eat that are that high.

I have to say 5g carbs per 100g would be too high for me in most circumstances. Eat too many foods like that and you only need 400g of food to hit your daily 20g carbs - and that's not much food.

The highest carb things I eat are almond flour (I'm not on induction) which I have 45g of maybe twice a week - that has about 5g carbs per 100g. And cauliflower which is about 4g per 100g. They're the only foods I eat that are that high.

Hmm, see your point. I'm just lo-carbing for the moment tho so aiming to stick to 50g per day or less. I know that I'll have to move closer to 20g if I don't lose weight or stall but this is for life and I need to find what works for me long term.

I think I'll start putting my food into MFP or rather than just writing down what I eat/drink, actually work out the carbs I'm having.

Back