metformin

tubbyme11

Hello, im on second week of taking metformin and i have now got lots of spots all over my face especially on my chin i have never had so many in all my life! also im constantly hungry! most peoples symptoms seem to be weight loss....not me ive put weight on, ive been trying to eat healthy but nothing seems to stop the cravings for sweets and choc and before i never really bothered about sweets and choc i was more for crisp.

is anybody else haveing the same problems??

Thanks

Stace xx

Mines the complete opposite - Ive been on Met for 2 weeks now, and its really been suppressing my appetite. Not feeling that hungry at all - maybe its just taking your body a while to get used to it. I suffered pretty badly with spots anyway because of my PCOS so nothing to do with the Met i'm afraid!

bloody hell i wonder whats going on then ha ha xx

My GP said things may get worse before it gets better.
Stick with it and see if it evens itself out, when I started I had horrid side effects but I kept it up and it the side effects eased off; but I decided it just wasn't for me.

I found it keeps me full for a bit longer after I eat now but in the first month I was the same as you, just craved sugar all the time!! Which struck me as odd for a diabetic drug that it should make me want what's worst for a real diabetic. All other food made me feel queasy so I ate sugary crap for about a month then it disappeared, so stick with it :) the weight is coming off me nicely now whereas before weightless was impossible without starving myself.

Hi Girls

Just wondering if anyone could help me?

I have PCOS, Diagnosed 2004 ages 18, only throgh bloods though no ultrsounds or anything but I have textbook PCOS. Extra weight, hair growth, hair loss on scalp, depression (to an extent) you name it!

However, I have lost nearly 4 stones following a low GI Diet. My periods have been more regular than they have ever been to be fair however I feel I need to now address my PCOS, as before I was more or less told to come back when I wanted a baby. I dont want a baby at the moment however would like to try and get my symptoms under control and possibly regulate my cycle. Something scares me about going to the Dr :( Sad I know but it does!

Can anyone give me any advice? What meds I should be asking for? If the pill may help??

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Jane xx

Welcome Janey, and well done on the weightloss! Thats really great! I tried a GI diet last year and I didnt lose an ounce - however I have already lost half a stone at Slimming World in 2 weeks so hope I can replicate the good job you have done.

I am currently on Metformin which I am hoping will regulate my cycle and encourage me to ovulate - but it will also help if I lose the weight too. I am currently trying to get pregnant though so your doctor may have some different advice for you if you arent that bothered at the moment. Some people find the pill helps but in my opinion, it only masks the underlying problem so I'd avoid that at all costs - as if you do decide you want children further on down the line, it may only mess your hormones up even further.

I think further weightloss will help - keep to the low-GI if thats what works and just have a chat with your GP to see what they recommend. PCOS CAN be managed with a healthy diet and does not necessarily require medication - its just that I would like to have a baby and time is ticking so I'm needing a little extra help!!! xx

sorry not replied, been seeing how it goes!

well my spots are sort of going although there is still quite a few, ive not lost any weight ive but 3lb on :mad:

ive joined weight watchers last night and the gym today so hopefully i will loose weight, will stay on these tablets for another 2 weeks and then if i still feel like this i will stop taking them

x

When I first started taking the Metformin last year, I was under the impression that if I took them I'd lose weight - almost like some kind of miracle pill! Ha ha I wish! I did have cravings for sugar and certain foods and I ate them thinking 'it's fine, the pills will get rid of all those extra calories' Yes, I really was that stupid at the time!

This time round, I've realised that they will only work in combination with a healthy diet - they help your metabolism - they are NOT a miracle diet pill!! Weight Watchers should really help you - the same way that Slimming World is now helping me. I really hope this Metformin is now doing the job it's supposed to!!!

Hi everybody I'm 26 and was told I had pcos when I was 14 I was on dianette for years and years which helped with spots and hair but now
I'm trying to have a baby and I have about 3 periods a year!! I'm overweight and doing slimming world iv lost 24lb since jan so its going the right way!

Iv been to my doctors this morning and he's started me on the slow release metformin and ref me to a gynae doctor. iv read a few good articles online about success getting pregnant on metformin and so I'm sticking with the slimming world and crossing my fingers!!

Xxx

I was put on metformin a few years ago but couldn't get on with them

I went to gynea last week and he has put me back on them to aid my weight loss and hopefully increase my chances of having periods and conceiving

I have been prescribed to take 1 twice a day and i took then for 2 days and the side effects i had were awful. Ive never felt nausea like it before, i had the shakes, hot sweats, feeling so sick. I spoke to my doctor and she said it is normal to feel like that but i just cant face taking them again and feeling the same.

Is it normal to feel like that? I know ppl do get side effects but i wouldn't expect them to be so so bad x

Chelle, keep going! The same thing happened to me when I started taking them but you'll get through it! How many mg are your tablets as you should probably only start off on 1 a day.
I take 500mg and I started off on 1 a day for the first week, then 2 a day the second week, then 3 a day from the third week onwards.
The first day that I took just one tablet, I was so poorly but the symptoms died down after about 48 hours. Even moving onto 2 or 3 tablets didnt have any adverse affect, my body must have just got used to them.

I know you have been prescribed 2 a day but perhaps start with 1 a day for the first few days and see how you got on, then build up to 2 after about 5 or 6 days...
If you're still feeling poorly, go back to your GP - there are 2 different types of Metformin - the other is a slow release version and has a tendency to be gentler on the old digestive system!

Good luck!! x

Your GP should have told you to start with 1 a day for a week and then build up to 2 - GP's are so useless. I stayed on 1 a day for 2 weeks till my body got used to them before moving up to 2. It was really crap to start with and I felt nauseous the whole time even at the thought of food let alone eating it. Sweet stuff was about the only thing I could stomach. The side effects do get better though. I'd say give it a fortnight and then if the symptoms are still just as bad get the GP to give you the slow release ones.

Thank you so much for the advice squirrel and emmy.

I did say i wanted the modified release one but they just ignored me and gave me the normal 500mg tablets.

I think that because of what you guys have said i will give it another go and see how i feel after a few days and try to stick to it.

I will just take 1 a day instead of the 2 that have been prescribed

Thanks again ladies xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I'd say if you still feel just as rough a couple weeks then definitely go back to your GP. They will always prescribe the cheapest option first so that's why he/she probably ignored your request for modified release ones. Not everyone gets on with them and you're never quite sure if the side effects are what you're supposed to get or not. Thank god for forums eh? :)

I have PCOS as well, and was started on metformin two years ago. I was prescribed to take 2 a day and see how I got on. I felt it worked at first, it regulated my periods and it helped me to loose weight, but then it stopped doing that, and I stopped taking it. The only kind of side effect it had with me tho, was that it messed with my bowels. Ive recently starting taking it again though as I was referred back to a gynaecologist due to bleeding non stop for 14 weeks, and they have put me back on it, but this time 3 a day. Ive also starting doing slimming world at the same time. So im hoping it starts to work, only problem I still have with it, is again with my bowels, but im hoping that settles down once my body gets used to it again. I think it suppresses my hunger too, as I never really feel hungry anymore.

Hi - I went on Metformin sept 2011 as we had been trying for a baby with no luck and then i was diagnosed with pcos, which to be honest makes a lot of things make sense! I got pregnant within 3 weeks of starting metformin - could have been a fluke but who knows lol. I carried on with the met until 12 weeks pregnant, I also lost weight in that time, I lost a stone so not sure if it was down to that or pregnancy hormones! I have started taking them again as the Dr said it could help with my weight loss, I started SW about 8 weeks ago and have lost 12lb, which for me is very good as even when doing a diet before it would be very slow losses! I do find if I have anything too greasy I get pretty bad side effects, Treated myself to some chicken kebab last night and spent most of this morning feeling sick, meaning no proper breakfast or tablets! I find that I have to take them with a decent meal or they make me feel sick, I have tried taking it with one piece of toast or some fruit before but that isnt a good idea!
anyway - I hope you do well
P x

I was given metformin and it was horrible! Anything healthy ie salad/veg my body just could not tolerate. However teaming metormin with weight watchers allowed me to get my 5% loss award before the weight loss stalled. (Weight watchers allowed me to point anything so I could avoid the salads that made me so ill!) Even though I have vowed never to touch it again I probably would if I needed it for TTC purposes but not for weight loss.

Hi - I went on Metformin sept 2011 as we had been trying for a baby with no luck and then i was diagnosed with pcos, which to be honest makes a lot of things make sense! I got pregnant within 3 weeks of starting metformin - could have been a fluke but who knows lol.

That's amazing - I really hope the Met and the Weightloss works that well for me!! x

I too have PCOS and was prescribed Metformin late last year. Due to one thing and another I didn't start taking it properly until January. I was on 500mg for two weeks then upped to 1000mg before being upped again to 1500mg. In the beginning I had terrible side affects - nausea and upset stomach. I also have to take them with something substantial even now to ward off the nausea. Anyway, on a plus it may be regulating my periods as without being too graphic I've had a slight bleed the last couple of days and my last cycle was only 40 days ago, which is fantastic because after a five stone spike in weight gain my periods stopped and reduced to three a year. I'm hoping if I continue to take them alongside weight watchers (joined online today) I'll shift this weight and be able to get pregnant. Been trying for a couple of years now, god it makes me emotional just thinking about it. One side effect I have noticed as well is awful dry skin on my face to the point where I'm unable to wear my bare minerals as it just clings to it, has anyone else noticed this. Plus does anyone else feel hot or even sweaty all the time just like you do before you start a period and if you get a bit energetic your face reddens (might be just me, but didn't have this before) Lisa x

Back