Milk milk milk??

LadyJo

Silver Member
Can anyone solve the problem that is milk?!

I've been using cows milk forever, but I've heard about almond milk, soya milk everything milk and would like recommendations for a more healthy and less calories if possible alternative???

I've used almond milk before. The thing is, the difference really is minimal, unless you're using a ridiculous amount a day I wouldn't worry about it. The flavour is completely different in my opinion, so whilst it was ok in baking and cooking, I wouldn't use it for tea, cereal etc.

I like almond milk but skimmed milk is nicer in my coffee and as said before the calorie difference is small x

I like almond milk, it's low carb and only 35 calories for a 250ml glass, it's a good source of vitamin C, makes nice fruit smoothies, (is nice in tea - not so good in coffee in my opinion,)is very low sugar content 0.4g and low fat at 1.2gm per 100mls. Definitely worth trying if your looking to cut calories... personally I love the taste too. x

Oh and most have added calcium, so it's a good source of calcium too but make sure you go for the UNSWEETENED one. x

I'm on the look out for different milk options too. I love my cups of tea and coffee, I went from Whole milk down to semi-skimmed which was difficult, but been doing that for years and now couldn't go back, now i'm finding that semi-skimmed is also quite high in cals, a cup of tea with a bit of milk is about 50 cals?? Something like that, I had 5 cups the other day and thought....I could be actually eating something with these cals. I've been using skimmed which is around 35 cals for some in tea which I think is still too much....hmmmm

With almond milk you could get about ten cups of tea for 50 cals. X

How did you get on with the almond milk? X

ive spoke to my personal trainer about this and he says all the other milks ae just a waste of money... apparently full of sugar and just to stick to cows milk...
ive been following lots of fitspo on twitter and facebook etc and they all tend to use almond milk or soy milk so im still just as confused... if the benefits were really great compared to cows milk i might be convinced... ive already bought a bottle of almond milk and the cals dont look that great but i use 1% cows milk so that might be why cals arent really swaying me!

Almond milk has less natural sugar... Is higher in protein and lots of vit E so its great for your skin and hair. The downside? It costs more than milk... For me it tastes a lot better than skimmed milk also... However its all about being informed and then making your choices. X

Back