Mindful Eating - Worth a try?

lisajade

Silver Member
I have just read an article about mindful eating. It suggests this exercise:

1. Take one bite of an apple slice and then close your eyes. Do not begin chewing yet.
  2. Try not to pay attention to the ideas running through your mind, just focus on the apple.
    Notice anything that comes to mind about taste, texture, temperature and sensation
    going on in your mouth.
  3. Begin chewing now. Chew slowly, just noticing what it feels like. It's normal that your
    mind will want to wander off. If you notice you're paying more attention to your thinking
    than to the chewing, just let go of the thought for the moment and come back to the
    chewing. Notice each tiny movement of your jaw.
  4. In these moments you may find yourself wanting to swallow the apple. See if you can
    stay present and notice the subtle transition from chewing to swallowing.
  5. As you prepare to swallow the apple, try to follow it moving toward the back of your
    tongue and into your throat. Swallow the apple, following it until you can no longer feel
    any sensation of the food remaining.
  6. Take a deep breath and exhale.

I am a terrible one for wolfing my food down without even realising it, so I am thinking of giving it a go - nothing to lose I guess :) I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experience of trying this?

Another one says to try this:

1. Choose a time and place for eating that promotes mindful eating. Try eating in a quiet, distraction-free environment. This means no eating in front of the television.
  2. Before you begin eating, look down at your food. Take in what it looks like, how it smells, and think about where it came from. See if you can notice the urge to eat (e.g., your mouth watering, the feeling of hunger), before you take a bite.
  3. Put a bite in your mouth. Notice how the food feels in your mouth and what it tastes like. Before you swallow, notice the things that happen in your mouth when you put food in. Notice how you salivate, notice the urge to swallow, notice the sensation of chewing.
  4. As you swallow your food, notice what that feels like. How does your stomach feel now that it is one bite fuller?
  5. Repeat your mindful eating for each bite until your meal is finished. Try to decide when the meal is finished based on the sensations in your body (e.g., the feeling of fullness in your belly, no more sensation of hunger) rather than on whether your plate is clean

First one reminds me of Ratatouille when Remy is tasting the strawberries and cheese.

Can't say I have tried these but I do eat when I am hungry and don't eat for the sake of it. So if I want something big at lunchtime I will if on other occassions not hungrey don't necessary eat anything in the evening. Bit controverseral but I like this idea and I believe in listening to your body and being intrutive withit.

Back