Mixing SW and slimfast

Claree__x

Silver Member
I have a 12 week old baby so finding time for breakfast is a bit of a nightmare. I was going to do slimfast but honestly, it depresses the life out of me.

I've worked out that 1 shake is 5.5 syns and a hex a so I was considering having this for breakfast with some fruit for my sf and following SW for lunch and dinner. D'you reckon this would work or is it daft?

I just figure that the shake does fill me for a bit so it's better than having nothing.

I have done slimfast before but gave it up cos I didnt like them that much.

Why dont you make a shake with a free yoghurt & fruit that way its not wasting all those syns??

Dxxx

I have done slimfast before but gave it up cos I didnt like them that much.

Why dont you make a shake with a free yoghurt & fruit that way its not wasting all those syns??

Dxxx

I don't have time unfortunately! I can make a shake in the same time as I make my baby's bottle - I don't have time to crack out the blender and stuff though. Although someone did buy her a baby food purée machine thing, I don't think she'd mind me borrowing it :D

I have a tub of sf. I'll try it for a week and see how it goes and rethink after that unless someone comes along and tells me it's insane lol.

I've tried SF in the past and I personally don't think it's worth the Syns as they don't fill you up. Could you try having cereal instead? x

What about having

Chocolate coconut/soy milk & hex b alpen bar

Overnight oats - be ready to eat!

Whole milk & fruit & alpen bar (or other hex b)

Trying to think what's easy to munch! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Thanks for the suggestions. I know this sounds nuts but I need something I can eat with one hand so can't be anything in a bowl lol.

Do you work as I don't understand why finding time for breakfast is a bit of a nightmare?

I don't work but I have a baby who takes all my attention in the morning. She doesn't go for a nap 'till nearer lunchtime and can be fussy about being put down in the morning.

So what about preparing it the night before so that in the morning you just have to take it out the fridge & give it a shake? Xxx

It's really important that what you have fills you up and gets your metabolism going. I've not tried Slimfast but it seems like it's not really in the spirit of Food Optimising of having proper meals. Adding fruit does however mean you're getting your superfree though so that's good and does mean it's more filling, but that's still 5.5 syns gone and surely it would be better to use those on proper food that fills you up better.

Making a yoghurt and fruit shake the night before might work (though remember mashed fruit isn't Free - keep the chunks as big as you can!). You could even put a v small amount of porridge oats in it to soften up overnight - like the 'magic porridge' but much wetter so that it is drinkable. (Some of the yoghurt drinks you can buy follow this idea so it should work).

Hifi bars are a good idea too, or similar Hex snacks. Could you manage some toast with marmite or quark or something (folded in half so juggling the baby and the toast doesn't mean messy carpet)?

Personally I find I get very hungry by lunch if I don't have any protein and/or fibre in my breakfast. Eggs are good so maybe you could hard boil and peel some in advance (they keep in the fridge a few days) then eat them with one hand? Or find some low syn sausages (Quorn are 1 each), grill them the night before while you make dinner and have them cold?

Ooh and this might sound a bit interfering as I've never had a baby, but if your daughter really hates being put down to the extent it is stopping you from eating properly, could you try a baby sling? Then she's close to you but you can have two hands free just for a few minutes to make and eat breakfast.

If you've given birth lately you need to make sure you get all the proper nutrients and it's good to set an example of proper eating from as early an age as possible!

Ooh and this might sound a bit interfering as I've never had a baby, but if your daughter really hates being put down to the extent it is stopping you from eating properly, could you try a baby sling? Then she's close to you but you can have two hands free just for a few minutes to make and eat breakfast.

If you've given birth lately you need to make sure you get all the proper nutrients and it's good to set an example of proper eating from as early an age as possible!

Not keen on slings (either of us lol) but I might give it another go. The problem is knowing when I'll get a chance to eat. She seems to know when I've just made a sandwich and starts screaming! I do eat, I'm just finding it hard to think of sw friendly food that's easy to grab

I've been there believe me. However you are making a bit of a rod for your own back if you are not even able to eat breakfast. At some stage she will need to get used to not being picked up every 5 seconds. You will exhaust yourself, believe me. One of the best pieces of advice I was given was to allow my daughter to sometimes just cry, obviously not for more than a few mins but otherwise she learns very quickly that noise = mummy and will do it even if she isn't hungry/poorly/wet. Couldn't you pop her somewhere where she can see you? Bouncy chair in the kitchen maybe or a playmat with a cuddly and have your breakfast where she can see you but actually EAT?

Really what you eat at this point is irrelevant, the quicker the better obviously but I agree you need sustenance. Are you breastfeeding? If so it's all the more essential that you eat properly.

So what about preparing it the night before so that in the morning you just have to take it out the fridge & give it a shake? Xxx

That's what I was going to suggest, there are loads of yummy foods you can prepare the night before.

Good idea about the sling & well pointed out about proper nutrients.

Not keen on slings (either of us lol) but I might give it another go. The problem is knowing when I'll get a chance to eat. She seems to know when I've just made a sandwich and starts screaming! I do eat, I'm just finding it hard to think of sw friendly food that's easy to grab

Your baby is going to be with you for a very long time, you need to set boundaries now, do you really want to lose weight, you've been given loads of helpful, supportive comments, but seem to be making excuses.

I've been there believe me. However you are making a bit of a rod for your own back if you are not even able to eat breakfast. At some stage she will need to get used to not being picked up every 5 seconds. You will exhaust yourself, believe me. One of the best pieces of advice I was given was to allow my daughter to sometimes just cry, obviously not for more than a few mins but otherwise she learns very quickly that noise = mummy and will do it even if she isn't hungry/poorly/wet. Couldn't you pop her somewhere where she can see you? Bouncy chair in the kitchen maybe or a playmat with a cuddly and have your breakfast where she can see you but actually EAT?

Really what you eat at this point is irrelevant, the quicker the better obviously but I agree you need sustenance. Are you breastfeeding? If so it's all the more essential that you eat properly.

I couldn't agree more with the 'rod for own back', you need to remember who is in charge here & set that straight as soon as possible.

Your baby won't remember when she is older you leaving her to cry whilst you eat!!!! Read back your comments & think about what advice you'd give that person. Honestly having children is hard but you need to make time for you, otherwise you're going to be exhausted & no good to you or baby.

I'm sure my comments come across harsh, but I don't mean them to, sometimes I find it hard to 'soften' what I want to say.

Take care of yourself & eat properly;)

I have a 12 week old baby so finding time for breakfast is a bit of a nightmare. I was going to do slimfast but honestly, it depresses the life out of me.

I've worked out that 1 shake is 5.5 syns and a hex a so I was considering having this for breakfast with some fruit for my sf and following SW for lunch and dinner. D'you reckon this would work or is it daft?

I just figure that the shake does fill me for a bit so it's better than having nothing.

So if the Shake is within your syns for the day, and its how you want to use them, its absolutely fine - YOU choose how you use your syns, and fit the plan around your life. In fact, I would argue that a shake which has a load of vitamins and minerals in it is probably a better use of your syns than my bourneville bars :)

Harsh to say I'm making excuses, I'm explaining the situation. I appreciate that sometimes I have to let her cry in order to get things done but I'd prefer to minimise that time as much as possible. I've thanked everyone for their suggestions so I'm not just being an ignorant cow.

My daughter is a generally well behaved baby and often I do have time for cooking/eating but it's rarely first thing. She's just slept 12 hours on her own so I don't blame her for wanting a cuddle, she's only 3 months old - she doesn't understand why I don't come when she cries.

What slings have you tried? The high street ones aren't the most supportive and if it's these you've tried then you might consider something like a stretchy wrap (e.g. Moby or Close/Caboo) or soft structured carrier (e.g. Ergo or Connecta) as they will offer more support for both you and the little one. There is a Sling Meet near you where you could go have a play with the different carriers.

Failing that what about a bouncy chair/play mat with arches... just something to keep baby occupied for the 5-10 mins it takes to throw breakfast together and eat it? Something already measured out so Weetabix/Shredded Wheat/Oats so Simple that you can just whack milk on/shove in the microwave and takes a couple of minutes to eat. Alpen Light bars could work as a HeX-B

I'd be really hacked off having to 'spend' my HeX-A on a SlimFast... I like to measure out my milk in the morning and then share it out over numerous cups of tea, making mash with it, adding it to omelettes etc

I'm a little shocked people would say just let her cry. I really hate the phrase 'rod for your own back' as we all parent in the way that works for us... whether we find it hard to find a few moments for breakfast or not. I had two babies who HAD to be held so they could fall sleep until 10 and 14 months but they are babies for such a short time it wasn't really that much to ask of me in the grand scheme of things.

You need to eat breakfast and you don't want to let your daughter cry whilst you have it (I wouldn't enjoy my breakfast in that situation anyway and probably give myself indigestion!)... you just need to find something that works for you. Good luck

I'll look at slings, thanks for the link. I generally don't need one though - she's sitting in her chair now, she just doesn't like it first thing in the morning and I find that if I don't eat breakfast I'm more likely to ruin the day when I get more hungry.

I don't mind using my hex a - I normally struggle to use it but it does seem a bit of a waste.

Thanks for your post though, I was beginning to think I was a rubbish mum :p she's so little at the moment that she has to come first. I'm not saying that I don't want to look after myself, I'm just trying to find the most convenient way to do it.

Do you eat eggs? I boil eggs every other day (sometimes four, sometimes 6), eat a few and pop the rest in the fridge for the next day. I then have something quick to grab for breakfast which is usually after the school run and I'm about to chew an arm off or something!

My other go to 'grab' breakfast is fruit. If we have toddler group then I'll pop and apple and banana in my bag and eat them when I get there. Grapes sometimes make it into the bag if I get time to pop some in a container. If I forget I'll pop into the local shop and pick them up or if they have it melon. Frozen berries might work as well... put them in a bowl when you get up and by the time you've changed a nappy and done the milk/feed they should be defrosted. Quark spread over stuff is nice... Ryvita (HeX-B) would be a good morning thing.

I agree with the boiling eggs and cooked sausage
, magic porridge is easy to eat one handed. I always have a big fruit salad chopped up in the fridge for breakfast. Cold meets and chopped up cheese for a continental breakfast. If you're happy using syns for a sf then do it :)
My ergo was my best baby purchase. I could cook, clean, feed baby etc allowing her to be happy. I still use it to carry my 22 month old and occasionally my 4 1/2 year old.

Hi Claree

It sounds to me like you have found something that works for you. The suggestions given are great ideas but if they don't work for you and the slimfast does do it!

Its a matter of choice - if you can work the syns in and don't have another need for the HEX then there is no issue. And as long as you can fit in the superfree then you are still on plan.

Don't let the comments here make you feel like a bad mum. They are just offering advise to what seems like an unadvisable situation! I personally wouldn't want to use syns for breakfast and many people are trying to offer suggestions to avoid this! But I agree with some points - make sure you look after yourself too!

x

Back