Mostly slimming world, some calorie counting?

Target140

Nom nom nom
This may be a ridiculous idea, but it occurred to me this morning and I thought, why not? So I'm posting it on here for feedback.

It stems from the fact that I'm loving slimming world - I'm eating healthier, I'm cooking more etc. but there are just some days where it's just not practical.

For example, today I'm out shopping, and whilst slimming world is doable, it would be so much easier to calorie count today...without trying to figure out whether my sandwich counts as a hexb, whether I'd be better off on a green / red / EE day etc. and if we go to the cinema I'd rather have limits imposed by calories than think oh I've blown my syns on that sandwich...sod it.

slimming world works ultimately by reducing calories eaten, and I don't want to count all the time - I'm usually fine doing SW during the week, and love the benefits. Sunday's are also usually fine. So I wonder if it would work by instead of having flexi syns days on odd occasions, having calorie counting days, where I stick below my tdee of 2100...that'd gove me loads of room to play but not (hopefully) gain weight.

I know it might slow my losses but I exercise quite a bit and am not in a rush.

your thoughts would be welcomed, thank you xxx

Hi I did a mixture of sw & calorie counting at the beginning of the year & did lose weight,what I will say though as because you might be eating different foods maybe higher in fat/sugar when cc I wouldn't go as high as your tdee.I was only having about 1400 cal on cc counting days hope that helps,everyone is different of course good luck :)

i find im calorie concious rather than counting calories. I have certain floors and ceilings for different foods. But them im at target and can be pretty flexible.

I'm another who mixes and matches ... while losing I stuck mainly to SW principles whilst being 'calorie aware' rather than actual calorie counting (frankly, as a compulsive over eater I needed to do this or I could easily take in to many calories on SW - especially on EE).

I do agree with Tamkat though that it's probably not a good idea to go up to your tdee amount ... for a start that's only an average, which may well be too high for your specific metabolism (mine for example - at target - is only between 1000 and 1200 per day as I have a very low BMR).

Now I'm at target I pretty much calorie count most of the time and just use SW principles in situations where calorie counting isn't practical (ie when I can't weigh stuff lol). I prefer to mix and match depending on the circumstances and (given my low BMR) I find that calorie counting gives me more control and flexibility. I do still follow SW principles alongside it in terms of food optimising/choices though (so I don't blow my calories on chocolate biscuits and then eat nothing else lol - I eat SW friendly meals and then use 'leftover' calories for extra ingredients and healthy treats like olives etc).

It works for me though and, at the end of the day, that's what matters. This is for life, so it has to be 'doable' on a day to day basis without stress :D

I've thought about doing this when I'm eating out. Good to know some people have has success with it!

How interesting! Thanks for your replies! For the moment I'm mainly SW, because I can't be bothered to count, but I'm chucking in a day a week fasting, for health and to add a little more flexibility into my week...

I have lost 2 st 8 lbs in 12 weeks so far on SW and 99% of the time it's on plan but i have on the odd 1 or two days come unstuck as to what to have to eat as i haven't been prepared as such....and then I calorie counted too :)
i was following SW so far then as i had forgot to take a packed lunch went and bought a sandwich etc, but then totted up the calories for what i knew so far on SW i had had.....and i have not had a week 'yet' where i haven't lost :)
It can work for the odd occasion I think :)

I have lost 2 st 8 lbs in 12 weeks so far on SW and 99% of the time it's on plan but i have on the odd 1 or two days come unstuck as to what to have to eat as i haven't been prepared as such....and then I calorie counted too :) i was following SW so far then as i had forgot to take a packed lunch went and bought a sandwich etc, but then totted up the calories for what i knew so far on SW i had had.....and i have not had a week 'yet' where i haven't lost :) It can work for the odd occasion I think :)

Well done on your weight loss! 2 St 8 in 12 weeks is amazing! How many calories do you have when you count?

Back