Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Mouth ulcers - anyone got a remedy?

Discussion in 'Nutrition, Health & Beauty' started by ellenwillbeskinny, 28 June 2011 Social URL.

1. ellenwillbeskinny

ellenwillbeskinny I need chocolate now!!!

Start Weight:
    12st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(11.3%)
    Diet:
    I was on WW PPs but have now switched to calorie counting.
    I suffer from very painful and uncomfortable mouth ulcers that just will not heal. I have them for over a month now. I went to the health shop and was advised a b complex supplement and licorice which I am taking. All the pharmacist gives me is a mouthwash that just numbs the problem for a while. Has anyone got any ideas on how to get rid of these ulcers for good? Thanks.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. *Trying-again*

*Trying-again* Plodding on til its gone

Start Weight:
    13st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st10lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I get mouth ulcers quite alot and use Bongela cool it gets rid of them after a couple of days.

Might be worth asking the doctor why you get recurring ulcers. I get them because im run down and immune system needs a boost.

Hope that helps x

4. kindleuser

kindleuser Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Rosemary Conley/Calorie counting
    I have Crohns and get mouth ulcers quite often and have tried loads of things. The latest was Bonjela Complete Plus and to be honest it was a waste of almost £5 - lots of bad reviews for it especially on Amazon - which I did not see until I had bought it.
    The most effective things I have used is Garlic - crush a clove and put it on the ulcer - will make you really wince at first but it does work. The reason I try other things is because I think - one day something will work without all the pain!!!!!!

5. kirstabubble

kirstabubble Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st1lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5.5lb(9.44%)
    Diet:
    WW Online
    Me tooooooo - my record no. of mouth ulcers was about 25!

I used to gargle salty water as well. Cordosyl helped as well I find but you have to make sure it you do it about 10 mins or so after your brush your teeth.

xxx

6. kindleuser

kindleuser Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Wow that is some ulcers - I never get that many usually between 2 and 5.
    Will try Cordosyl - something I have not heard of - thank you.

7. kirstabubble

Start Weight:
    14st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st1lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5.5lb(9.44%)
    Diet:
    WW Online
    Yea, it was a one off but still horrific.

Make sure you get the minty one with the greeny-blue label, the red 'original' one is horrid.

And to the OP, if they get worse, or don't go away, get yourself to the docs. It's likely that you're just a bit tired/run down/stressed, but it's best just to check, in case you're deficient in anything.

Kirsty x

8. kindleuser

kindleuser Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Just been to a small Boots and it is 3 for 2 but they only had one bottle so will get some tomorrow in town - thanks for the advice re the minty one.

9. ellenwillbeskinny

Start Weight:
    12st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(11.3%)
    Diet:
    Hi Kindle and Kirsta, thanks for the comments. I will try the garlic and the corsodyl, I will try anything at this stage. I went to the health shop and they recommended a vitamin B complex supplement which I am taking, don't know how long before it begins to help though. Mouth ulcers are really horrid, aren't they? 25 ulcers must be hell!

10. giggygill

giggygill New Member

I get mouth ulcers and I started taking L-lycine tablets two a day. They are a vitamin tablet and they also good for keeping coldsores at bay!! You can get them in boots or any Heath food shop

11. ellenwillbeskinny

Start Weight:
    12st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(11.3%)
    Diet:
    Thanks Giggy, I will think about the vitamins. I take b complex at the moment but it hasn't helped yet. How long were you taking the l lysine before the mouth ulcers went?

12. kirstabubble

Start Weight:
    14st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st1lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5.5lb(9.44%)
    Diet:
    WW Online
    If you've still got them hun, I'd go to the doctors. Like I said before, it's unlikely to be anything sinister but better to find out what's causing them so you can treat them.

I don't absorb vitamin b12 so have to have quarterly injections and I think that's quite common (not just people with an IBD) so it might be the same sort of issue? I'm not a doctor though so don't take they as gospel, just a thought :) x

13. kirstabubble

Start Weight:
    14st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st1lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5.5lb(9.44%)
    Diet:
    WW Online
    PS I have a brand new ulcer this morning....just next to my tonsils?! Weird!

14. giggygill

giggygill New Member

I think I was taking it a good four days before dey were gone.

15. keithus

keithus New Member

I suffer from mouth ulcers as well, when I get them I floss twice a day and take folic acid suppliments, this not only gives you a boost, but also helps your body absorb your other suppliments

16. ellenwillbeskinny

Start Weight:
    12st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(11.3%)
    Diet:
    Thanks for the info huns! I got the L lysine yesterday and have begun taking it. I also got the Corsodyl mouthwash but haven't tried it yet.

Kirsta commiserations on the new ulcer, they are literally a pain, aren't they? I have read that you are prone to them if you are anaemic as well. I was severely anaemic in 2008 and was on iron injections for a very long time. I will go to the GP and have a blood test to check for anemia again. My GP is so laid back he is almost horizontal so he isn't great for suggesting things.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.